In Criticism of Giovanni Direct Leave-In

Has Giovanni Direct given you problems? (ex: crunchiness, tangling, or matting)

• Total voters

BostonMaria

OK so I'm not alone...

I bought a bottle at GNC.. get this... $1!!! Can't beat that!
So I bought the last bottle, ran home, washed my hair and... nothing. I thought I was gonna be like the ***** on the Herbal Essences commercial having an O or something :drunk::grin:

I didn't have that WOW factor. I ended up giving it to my son. I will never buy it again.

Christelyn

I used it every time I wash and I love it. It leaves my hair so soft and manageable too. Sorry it didn't work for you.

FluffyRed

I'm half and half. It did not do much for me as a detangler. After it dried, my hair felt "coated" with gunk.

But, dropping down to a pea-sized amount on my dripping wet hair REALLY makes my superfine hair look twice as full, even after a relaxer. I have NO scalp showing! LOVE IT for that.

Creatividual

I've used it. I didn't see anything spectacular about it myself. It didn't work any better than any of my other leave ins. I didn't get the crunchy feeling you describe though. Also, it doesn't really have a smell. I applied it to soaking wet hair. I used it up but I won't be buying it again.

I have a bottle of it right now. It's ok but I prob won't re-buy once its gone. But I also agree with some of the other ladies that a little goes a long way with this product. I had some build up issues at first because I was using way to much. So now I just use like a dime size amount, seal with castor oil and let air dry and that works pretty good for me.

luckiestdestiny

So, after learning from some enthusiasts on this board that one cannot be admitted to heaven without using Giovanni Direct, I went out and bought it, eagerly awaiting the effects of this holy balm. I slathered it on my braids and braided them up. And no, I did not use any more of this than I use of any other hair product.

All was well.

Until I started taking them down.

My hair was so hard, crunchy, and worst of all, TANGLED that I thought I might lose it all. I have found that soaking my hair in coconut oil greatly relieves the tangling and hardness, but why would God require us to use this stuff in order to gain admittance at the pearly gates when it is surely a leading cause of baldness?

Now, I have found that mixing the stuff with oil, preferably coconut, in about a 1:2 ratio (meaning twice as much oil as leave-in) relieves the crunchiness. But what good is it when it's eating up my coconut oil supply in order to be just ok as a leave-in? I would have just thrown out this devil's brew, but in my refusal to let the Giovanni Direct train pass me by, I bought 4 bottles (33.5 oz each) of the stuff. So, I look forward to years of using it on my body, sauteeing my vegetables with it, washing clothing with it, and using it as a mixer for alcoholic beverages in order to have any hope of gaining relief from the Scourge of Giovanni.

There's no real point to this post, except to complain and warn others. When the Giovanni Direct train comes into town, let it pass.

Oh, and if anyone can recommend a better leave-in (that isn't $65 for 2oz or some ridiculous price like that), please do.

Am I the only one dismayed by Giovanni Direct?

Sorry to hear that. Can't you take it back? I love Lacio Lacio (not that you want to hear about another one) for future reference, if you want to try that, and I bought this bottle in January, and it still has most of it in there. you really only need one part lacio to 12-15 parts water. Shake it up in a bottle in spray. I can definitely recommend it and it's only 11 dollars, or at least that's around what I paid in January.

heyfranz

I'm relaxed and when i first used it, thought it was fine. Used it last week, and my hair was dry and tangled. I am also using mt/oct now, and discovered that giovanni has protein, so i figured that explained the effect...

Demi27

I love this stuff, but I find that it will only work great (for me) if my hair already had a bunch of moisture (i.e. co-washing, deep conditioning, etc). When I took my braids out (I did not keep my hair moisturized while in braids) earlier this year and used it, it was a NIGHTMARE. It did not have anywhere near the slippage that it did when I was wearing my hair out. However, after I kept my hair out of braids and started putting moisture back into my hair, that's when it worked the best.

I had Kinky Twists in for about 3 weeks and made sure I used some kind of moisturizing spray on them. I used the Giovanni Direct when I took them out and it worked just fine. That's what made me realize that it won't really work (IMO) with hair that may not be moisturized enough). That's just my take on it.

sillygirl82

I'm a natural and I only apply it to damp hair right after I shampoo and condition. This is the best leave-in that I have ever used. So far, I don't have any problems. It works well with Sabino moisture block as well.

Bigghair

I haven't ever used this but I had it in my hands yesterday reading the ingredients and contemplating purchasing it. I have heard people raving about it too, but I know I will hold off now.:look:

jazzyto

yeah this was a disappointment to me also. I have an almost full bottle in my closet that I may rotate back to and dilute.

Caramel Jewel

So, after learning from some enthusiasts on this board that one cannot be admitted to heaven without using Giovanni Direct, I went out and bought it, eagerly awaiting the effects of this holy balm. I slathered it on my braids and braided them up. And no, I did not use any more of this than I use of any other hair product.

All was well.

Until I started taking them down.

My hair was so hard, crunchy, and worst of all, TANGLED that I thought I might lose it all. I have found that soaking my hair in coconut oil greatly relieves the tangling and hardness, but why would God require us to use this stuff in order to gain admittance at the pearly gates when it is surely a leading cause of baldness?

Now, I have found that mixing the stuff with oil, preferably coconut, in about a 1:2 ratio (meaning twice as much oil as leave-in) relieves the crunchiness. But what good is it when it's eating up my coconut oil supply in order to be just ok as a leave-in? I would have just thrown out this devil's brew, but in my refusal to let the Giovanni Direct train pass me by, I bought 4 bottles (33.5 oz each) of the stuff. So, I look forward to years of using it on my body, sauteeing my vegetables with it, washing clothing with it, and using it as a mixer for alcoholic beverages in order to have any hope of gaining relief from the Scourge of Giovanni.

There's no real point to this post, except to complain and warn others. When the Giovanni Direct train comes into town, let it pass.

Oh, and if anyone can recommend a better leave-in (that isn't $65 for 2oz or some ridiculous price like that), please do.

Am I the only one dismayed by Giovanni Direct?

try selling or trading it on the traders board....:blush:

Dommo

I loved it when I was natural; now that I'm relaxed not so much...I've only tried it once since being relaxed so maybe i will give it another try sometime

baddison

natural for good
I loved it as a natural....I love it even more as a relaxed head. I just purchased 3 more bottles.:lick: This stuff is great, the ingredients are wonderful...its light, and doesn't weigh down my hair...and give my relaxed head so much slip for combing through. Hands down the best out there for me!! And gosh...I simply love the smell:yep::yep:

emo

I'm debating on whether I should buy this, or HE Long Term Relationship Leave-In, or maybe both? Can someone compare/contrast these two?

Based on ingredients alone, I'm leaning towards Giovanni.

divinempress

I'm debating on whether I should buy this, or HE Long Term Relationship Leave-In, or maybe both? Can someone compare/contrast these two?

Based on ingredients alone, I'm leaning towards Giovanni.

This will help me out also. My Giovanni bottle is almost empty and although it worked alright..i really didn't do cartwheels over it.
Plus there were times where it made my hair really dry.
I want to try HE LTR Leave-In.

Chameleonchick

See I thought there was a reason behind the crunchiness. I tried it one day as a leave in and my hair dried hard. But I have used it as a filler for my DC and it works fine. I am not gonna waste it.

2themax

This didn't work too well for me either. It wasn't disastrous, but it was one of my less-favored leave-ins that I've tried. It combs through okay, but then gives my hair a hard, brittle feeling. :ohwell:

The same thing happened when I used it. I was sooooooooo mad!!! I still have 3/4 of the container sitting on my bathroom counter collecting dust!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:crying3:OMG ! I hated it. My relaxed hair was matted, tangled, & dry. I had ordered it from vitacost, and called and sent it back the next day. I learned very quickly that my hair prefers a more creamy leave in conditioner.

MummysGirl

I've used it a few times now, so far so good... I think it helps that I use it on days I use a moistursing con for my cowash....

I think it's a keeper :)

Telle12345

I was advised to dilute this. I suppose this applies to both the creamy leave-in as well as the spray.

I dilute mine with water and a drop of Elasta QP H-two leave in (my staple!) and put it in a spray bottle. (I may mix with water and a drop of oil to save my H-two in future) It works much better that way, because although it made my hair soft and detangled, I found it made my hair very very dull and dry looking when I used it straight. :perplexed. I can't wait to finish it!!!! :wallbash:

I'll use that mix when I have more NG