I'm sharing my testimony in church...

sithembile

this sunday. I'm not nervous about standing up before a congregation of 800, but I need your prayers as I'm going to be quite honest about my past. My pastor recently preached about not being a unequally yoked relationships and about asking God to set us free from those relationships. I was trapped in one of those for 5 years and I felt moved by God to share how God loosed me. I know its for the glory of God that I'm standing up there and also to help people, but part of me is wondering what people will think, especially men, will they think less of me when it is obvious that I'm not a virgin. I know its silly to think that way because I know God has forgiven and sanctified me, Please keep me in your prayers!

MomofThreeBoys

I will keep you in prayer. Testimony time is one of my favorite parts of the service because its amazing to see how a blessing given to 1 person affects/uplifts/encourages/touches/brings hope to many other people. Be encouraged that you are doing a wonderful thing! Be blessed.:)

Koffie

sithembile said:
this sunday. I'm not nervous about standing up before a congregation of 800, but I need your prayers as I'm going to be quite honest about my past. My pastor recently preached about not being a unequally yoked relationships and about asking God to set us free from those relationships. I was trapped in one of those for 5 years and I felt moved by God to share how God loosed me. I know its for the glory of God that I'm standing up there and also to help people, but part of me is wondering what people will think, especially men,will they think less of me when it is obvious that I'm not a virgin. I know its silly to think that way because I know God has forgiven and sanctified me, Please keep me in your prayers!

I hate this feeling.

phynestone

sithembile said:
this sunday. I'm not nervous about standing up before a congregation of 800, but I need your prayers as I'm going to be quite honest about my past. My pastor recently preached about not being a unequally yoked relationships and about asking God to set us free from those relationships. I was trapped in one of those for 5 years and I felt moved by God to share how God loosed me. I know its for the glory of God that I'm standing up there and also to help people, but part of me is wondering what people will think, especially men, will they think less of me when it is obvious that I'm not a virgin. I know its silly to think that way because I know God has forgiven and sanctified me, Please keep me in your prayers!

I don't understand how folks would know that you aren't a virgin. Is that in your testimony as well?

tweezer6

I admire your courage. You will do great. We help others to overcome by sharing our testimonies. Be careful though, there is reason that God alone, knows ALL.

God bless you. I'll be praying for you.

sithembile

19sweetie said:
I don't understand how folks would know that you aren't a virgin. Is that in your testimony as well?

I will mention that I knew that I was in a relationship which is against the will of God.

Thank you all for your encouragement.

Honeyhips

Lovely
How did it go?

I hope no one condemned you. It has happened in my church. Not everone can handle your testimony and will use it against you. But don't be ashamed. The truth will make you free. By sharing it, it shows that you are free. Everyone has skeletons. I know plenty of virgins who have had oral sex and came extremely close to penetration. :ohwell:

Mahalialee4

Why would you be expected to share such intimimacies? Does every single person, including the pastor and his wife and all the deacons and their wives tell all to the congregation? What is your reason for doing this? Are you looking for forgiveness from the congregation because you feel you have been deceitful and have sinned against them? I have heard of some very negative outcomes and people are people. God may forgive you and forget...but some people never do. I personally believe that if God has forgiven you, you need to use wisdom when sharing with people if you really want to put things behind you. Now if you had been ripping off the collection plate and pinching the babies in the nursery and claiming it was mosquitos,...lol.Just my opinion. Bonjour

Honeyhips

Lovely
No one is forcing her. She said she felt led by God. It probably blessed someone who was in the same situation. Of course we have to wisdom when sharing our past, but we can't let what other people think of us keep us bound. It doesn't matter what they think. God already cast her sin in the sea of forgetfulness. The truth makes us free. So no matter what people say or think about her, it doesn't matter. She's already been redeemed.

sithembile

I didn't go into intimate details about my past, I did mention that I had been in an unGodly relationship with someone, but that God had set me free. The testimony went well, many people were blessed, 20 people made commitments to Christ and a few women shared with me that they had been going through similar things. So I thank God that He was able to use me to glorify Him and to impact someone's life.

webby

Think Slim
sithembile said:
I didn't go into intimate details about my past, I did mention that I had been in an unGodly relationship with someone, but that God had set me free. The testimony went well, many people were blessed, 20 people made commitments to Christ and a few women shared with me that they had been going through similar things. So I thank God that He was able to use me to glorify Him and to impact someone's life.
It's amazing how many people suffer in silence, until one brave person will get up, stand up, and tell what the Lord has done for them. Amen to you!

Honeyhips

Lovely
ain't that the truth. I can definitely relate to this.
webby said:
It's amazing how many people suffer in silence, until one brave person will get up, stand up, and tell what the Lord has done for them. Amen to you!

Mahalialee4

My specific point is why do we not hear more preachers,deacons and their wives standing up and telling about themselves....more of those in Leadership? I have observed that they remain silent about their pasts and only certain people " talk". I have also heard people say they felt led by "God" and I cannot dispute this could happen. However, what I have observed is that sometimes people feel guilty and the only way they feel "cleansed and redeemed" is by telling the congregation....not the preacher...but everybody in a "public testimony". Yes it is her choice and no one is making her...but I wonder why we seldom hear the testimonies from so many others....doesn't God talk to them...hasn't he set some of them free too...and there are some that are acting as if they have never ever sinned and they act like they do not need prayer...to testify or acknowledge anything. I do see a two tiered system in many cases. I have personally had pastors wives say that they would NEVER share about their past with anyone let alone the congregation. That they would talk to a family member, and sadly, on more than one occasion...the leadership themselves have had negative things to say about the people who made public confessions and held it over their heads to keep them in line, to decide if they were fit to marry a Good Man! or to sing in the choir or to associate with "cleaner members". They have "warned other members about them...even though the person was sincerely repentant and felt that they were supposed to do this...I know of what I speak, having been in leadership....I have seen the other side and I say "use caution"...It can and often will be held against you....people may be nice to your face and praise you in front of the congregation...but when they are having lunch and just being themselves by themselves away from the congregation ...they are not so "spiritual" about your transgressions...but if that is impossible to happen in this case then God bless you. I only shared this because I hate to see these kinds of things happen and I know personally that they do...quite often... one e.g. one girl had had a past and later on certain mothers in the church did not want their sons to be with this young lady because everybody knew she had a past, and considered her damaged goods. another eg. a man shared about his past serious drug use...and that was used against him...in the same manner...and their pasts followed them to three congregations....Sad but true. Bonjour