If you DON'T airdry, how often do you wash?

NaiyaAi

For the ladies that don't air dry their hair, how often do you wash (cowashes included)? And what method do you use to dry your hair?

I normally wash once a week, but I have just started going to the gym every day. I want to start washing my hair twice a week instead of just once. The problem is that I've tried to air dry my hair multiple times in the past, and my hair just doesn't seem to like it. So I pretty much have to rollerset every single time I wash my hair, which I wouldn't really have time for in the middle of the week. But I just really really really feel like my hair needs a good washing more than just once every Sunday if I continue to work out every day. Any suggestions?

Britt

If I were working out so frequently, I'd *have* to wash my hair. My scalp sweats a lot when I work out. I'd just airdry or lightly blow dry my hair till most of the wetness is gone. I couldn't imagine rollersetting so often. I know rollersetting yields silkier results, but that's the toss up if you plan to wash your hair more often. There are women here who wash and put flexi rods on their ends and keep their roots tied down with a scarf. That could be an option also?

Honestly, if I were working out daily, I'd just need to wash my hair 2x/week. How about airdried braid outs? Maybe bantu knots? Buns? Also, have you tried t shirt drying and to remove most of the wetness and then let your hair hang down for a bit, and then apply your moisturizer and put your hair in 2 or 4 pigtails and put rollers on the ends? This will give smooth out your ends and you have the benefit of having air dried hair.

DivineNapps1728

I typically wash once weekly, more if necessary.

I blow dry with low to medium heat using my comb attachment. Air drying inevitably leads to tangles & ssks galore; blowdrying regularly actually aids in my retention as doing so keeps my hair perfectly stretched && detangled between washes.

When I experience dryness, I dc & swap out a protein leave in for a more moisturizing one until my hair is balanced out.

DivineNapps1728

DivineNapps1728

What products do you use when you blowdry? Would I be fine with a leave-in and a heat-protectant?

NaiyaAi, I use the GVP version of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum and/or the Aphogee Provitamin Leave in.

You should be fine with a leave in & heat protectant just be aware that all heat protectants are not created equal & if your hair is silicone sensitive serums may not work for you.

Personally I don't add moisturizers/oils/creams to my hair until after I blow dry so if I use a leave in its something akin to the Aphogee product mentioned above.

hillytmj

I wash and rollerset weekly under a hood dryer and workout 4-5 days each week. I think that over the years my hair has gotten trained to act right despite sweating, lol. I normally smooth it down and put it in a bun (no scarf or anything, that prevents my hair from drying quickly). After I finish working out, I keep it up in a bun till it's dry, moisturize and seal if needed and go on with my day.

niknakmac

I workout out 4 - 5 times a week. I usually dry my hair under a hooded dryer. Saturdays I do a rollerset. If I wash before the following Saturday I do a wrap and go under the dryer to dry. It seems to work well.

naija24

Before I worked out daily, I would wash my hair every two weeks. I could never go back to those days. Now, I work out every day, twice a day, and washing my hair every two days is necessary.

If you're worried about it not laying flat or straight, try maybe wrapping foam? I wash my hair twice a week, and use wrapping foam to make it lay down and then just go about my day. I'd use heat but I don't want any potential damage right now.

intellectualuva

I wash and dry twice a week (sun/wed) and I've seen more retention. When I did rollerset, it was on the less busy day, so it use the hooded drier and the other day I dry in twists and bun it/style it. Or when its 80% dry, bantu knot it until dry (either using my hooded dryer or air drying).

naija24

sweetnikki_6 Do you mean you just let it hang down as you sit under the dryer?

naija24 What is wrapping foam?

NaiyaAi, wrapping foam is like a foam hair product you put on your hair and comb through. It helps it stay flat as it dries. I use it to mold my hair in the shape that I want since it's so short, but when my hair was longer, I used it sometimes to wrap my hair around my head and sit under the dryer.

My fav wrapping foam is BB Wrapping Foam from Bronner Brothers. http://www.sallybeauty.com/BB-Wrapping-Lotion/SBS-167218,default,pd.html

lana

I think it would help to know if you are natural or relaxed.

I am texlaxed, transitioning to natural and if I sweat in my hair, it needs to be rinsed/washed that same day. I don't always shampoo because it causes dryness on my4a/b hair, but I always always always rinse well and condition and then shampoo on the next wash.

I detangle thoroughly and then I twist my hair into six sections. I go to sleep and the next morning I flat iron my bangs or untwist my bangs and tuck them behind my ears. I put the rest of the hair into a moisturized bun. Always use a heat protect, always moisturize and seal the ends.

I was one of those women that said air drying did not work for them. I literally said it about 20 times in threads. But then I learned about flat twisting, twist outs and braidouts.

Other days, I co-wash and wear flat twists to bed and wake up and untwist for a twist out (or bun).

This has helped me retain length and transition. My hair hovers around BSL during my transition (I keep cutting off the texlaxed ends). This way I can bike as hard as I want to, garden in 80 degree heat if I feel like it and run around with the dog outside if it makes me happy.

I refuse to be held back by my hair. I still remember times that I should have washed and didn't. Yuck! I'm not going back. Now my hair smells fresh and delicious everyday.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
NaiyaAi, I use to feel the same but I've increased the frequency of my workouts thus I'm forced to cowash more. I squeeze excess water from hair before applying leave in and sealant. I use scarf method to air dry or sit under the hooded dryer for about 30 mins which is just enough time to dry my hair to a point where I can air dry the rest of the way with ease. I usually put my hair in a bun while sitting under the hooded dryer.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I workout 4 days a week and I only wash 1x a week. I keep my hair in a bun during my workout and do not touch my hair until my scalp is dry or just wait about 30 minutes. Washing 2x a week is not an option for me because I hate cowashing, I roller set weekly, and for me it's just too much manipulation. If I really have to wash, I will, but when I space my days out, I can avoid washing between washes.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

sharifeh

This is a great thread I'm also a frequent workout person and I struggle with this. My hair can't afford to be roller set more than once a week. Too much hair loss. I usually make do with air drying for one wash even though that sometimes gives me crunchy hair. Air drying is hit or miss for me. I rollerset once a week . I try not to do more than that .

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF