Why do you wash your hair so often?

krissynick

Hey guys

There a lot of threads on this site concerning how often you should wash your hair. Alot of people wash and cowash. I personally only wash once a week. I would wash more often but I have relaxed 4b hair and the time it would take to wash and style more than once a week would be crazy. I dunno about you guys but I dont really like blow drying and flat ironing my hair, I rather roller set and do that more than once a week its very tedious. I mean I could wash my hair more often blow dry it and wear it in a poofy pony tail but thats my style. Even blowdrying and flatironing would be overwhelming.. What do you guys think? What is your reason for not washing your hair so often?

ShaniKeys

I have dry hair&scalp:ohwell: so I only wash it once a week with a conditioning shampoo. If I would wash it more often, my head would turn into a desert:nono:

HoneyDew

I used to wash and condition 2 times a week and decreased it to once a week because of scheduling conflicts.

my hair is doing very well this way and I am going to keep it up.

I really think you have to find what's best for you and stick with it. Washing more than once a week really is NOT the only way. There are ladies here that only wash every 2 or 3 weeks, as well. Actually the ladies I can think of that wash less than once a week have some of the prettiest heads of hair on the board.

prospurr4

Now, I only wash once/week, alternating shampoo-washing with conditioner-washing.

I tried washing twice/week (especially since I workout 2-3 times/week), but I was starting to feel like I was washing my hair all the time....DH felt that way too.:ohwell: Since I airdry in a rollerset each time I wash, twice/week just became too time-consuming and too-much manipulation.

fluffylocks

I've read some ladies say that washing their hair everyday keeps their hair moisturized, and if they were their hair curly, it helps keep those lookig good and fresh.

My hair tangles up too much to wash daily, i think it would get expensive, and i think it would take alot of time also.---not to mention thats alittle bit too much manipualtion for me. Plus my hair just doesnt seem to get more moisturized from washing more often, it seems to do better the less i wash it, then my hair would probally look a mess.

Isis

Hey guys

There a lot of threads on this site concerning how often you should wash your hair. Alot of people wash and cowash. I personally only wash once a week. I would wash more often but I have relaxed 4b hair and the time it would take to wash and style more than once a week would be crazy. I dunno about you guys but I dont really like blow drying and flat ironing my hair, I rather roller set and do that more than once a week its very tedious. I mean I could wash my hair more often blow dry it and wear it in a poofy pony tail but thats my style. Even blowdrying and flatironing would be overwhelming.. What do you guys think? What is your reason for not washing your hair so often?
I learned to wash 2x each week using Cathy Howse's method on my 4b, relaxed hair (except I don't use heat). The practice keeps my hair moisturized at all times and made a very big difference restoring the health of my hair. I airdry overnight in a rollerset to save time.

Now that my hair is long and healthy, if I can get the same beautiful results washing just once each week, I would do that.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

I wash my hair 1-2 times a week. I wash it as soon as i feel its dirty or if it starts shedding a lot.

I have dry scalp/dandruff so its a must or else I will scratch my scalp to death.

Anything less and I'll have flakage and my hair starts to shed like crazy.

sunshinebeautiful

I try to wash with shampoo only once per week. I cowash in between, so I guess this counts as 2 washes per week.

The air here is cold and frigid and sucks the moisture right out of my hair. :nono: I try to "wash" and DC as often as I can to keep my hair at its optimal moisture level.

Moroni

I co wash my hair every other day, because I know that's one of the contributors to its rapid growth. When I was in college, many moons ago, I just loved having clean-smelling hair, and washed it about twice a week, and it grew like crazy. So, when I read Cathy Howse's book, something clicked, and I started 2 times per week co washing, and.... bam! I regularly gain more than 1/2 inch per month.

Now, with my application of growth aids, I HAVE to wash that out of my hair after a day. Ends up being every other day for washing. Since I've got airdrying down to a science (for me, that is), and since I work from home, it works for my schedule. My DH just smiles at me, because he knows taking care of my hair is my number 1 hobby that makes me happy! :grin:

MrsQueeny

Because I work out almost everyday.
The weather here is really dry.
It is also really dusty here and I use oils on my hair. Oils and dust just don't mix.
Plus my hair thrives from the moisture.
I co wash 2-3 times and week, wash and condition once a week.Q

ddean

I wash my hair every 4-5 days. If I wait any longer, my hair gets really dry,and will no longer hold moisture...no matter how much I use :hair:.

gone_fishing

Although I would LOVE to wash once a week, I cannot...:( because I'm at the gym Mon.-Fri. and I think the salt from sweat is worse than the actual washing as far as drying out hair. Besides, I don't want to smell like a wet dog all day. So, I wash/co wash errday.

atlien

I say different strokes for different folks. Everyone's hair is so different. I use to wash twice a week and my hair did not like it at all. I began to get a lot of breakage. I was manipulating it way to much and the length I did retain was not worth keeping. I now wash my hair every 3 weeks or so and my hair stays more moisturized and does not break as easily. I had to go back to my old ways. Honestly, I watch my lil sister wash her hair every month and her hair is literally on her buttocks right now.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
What do you guys think? What is your reason for not washing your hair so often?[/quote]

My hair is extremely thick. I have gone from co-washing everyday to washing 1-2 times per week. I was experiencing alot of dryness and was buying product like I owned a BBS :wallbash:.

Now I add product after washing/DCing and I sprits my hair each day, and only add product where it is needed. I also cover my hair at night to keep moisture in. My curls now look supple, moist, and healthy instead of dry :lick:.

ravenmerlita

My hair does better when I wash it daily. It doesn't dry out, get crunchy, break as much and it looks better. Also, I've gotten used to washing my hair each time I shower.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I was cw'ing every day usually until just a few weeks ago due to the weather changing. Now I do it 3-4 days a week unless I am wearing a twistout or my hair straightened. I think it is the key for me to retaining proper moisture levels. My hair loves cowashing:yep:

Sha76

I wash my hair from every other day to every 2 days. I do it because My scalp will start itching and no amount of product seems to stop it. Hte only thing that helps is washing it. I figure it itches when it gets dirty.

Cichelle

I cowashed every day for about two years. Lately, my schedule hasn't permitted it, but I won't go less than twice a week. My hair does much better when it is frequently cowashed. OTOH, I try to use shampoo as little as possible. Usually I end up using it every 10 days or so, but I'd like to go longer.

Brownie518

Since I started washing at least twice a week, I have had no problem with dry, flaky scalp. The overall condition of my hair improved. Lately, I haven't been using too much shampoo, doing cowashes instead. :yep: