If you could go back and choose any hair type, what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HoneyDew said:
I don't think this topic has to be negative or offensive considering all the other things we try to change about ourselves or even dream about changing.

quote]
ITA. The people who come in and see negativity in this thread are the ones who read negativity in the thread.

LocksOfLuV

HoneyDew said:
I love my hair texture, but I think there are different things about different textures that I like, too.

It's just like saying I wish I had smaller hips. I love my body, but sometimes my bow legs and hips are a pain when I shop for pants.

I embrace my shape and I am sure other do to, but we still have threads like which celebrity body would you like to have and stuff like that.

Same thing. You can embrace what God gave you but still appreciate other options.

I don't think this topic has to be negative or offensive considering all the other things we try to change about ourselves or even dream about changing.

Sometimes, I think we take hair too seriously, natural or relaxed.

My GOODNESS thankyou!!!! This is just why people don't like to post in threads like this.

When are we ever going to get to the point where people are going to feel the way they want to feel and feel free to express so without someone throwing biblical quotes all over the place!

Why is it so damn wrong to want to change your chest size, or your waistline, or loose weight period but be damned wrong if you don't like your hair type? Why is it that I just left a thread where some of you posting in this thread were mentioning of breast reduction, isn't that what "GOD gave you?" What is the difference?

Let me stop.. I am just going to stop right there. It pisses me off that people pick and choose what to preseve 'what GOD gave you.' I swear I don't get it...

nikkivale

anatomicallycorrect said:
You know, honestly, I didn't think it was going to be drama, and now I see how naive that was. I don't understand why if someone wishes they had something different than what they have, then that has to be such a bad thing. Like the poster who felt that she just *needed* to rate this thread one star. Why? B/c it is "bad" to wish for something different? Why do people relax? Why do people wear weaves and wigs in different textures than their natural hair?

It is like someone can relax their hair, and that is fine, but you do not dare say you wish you had type 2 hair. Sigh....

It is fine if one wishes to keep their hair type the same. That is why the title of this thread is if you could choose ANY type, which would it be. But nothing is wrong with wishing for somethign different. If man were content with the simple abilities he was granted when he was born, the Wright bros never would've invinted the airplane, and then where would we be?
I understand what you mean. this really shouldn't be such a sensitive topic. I understand that our hair has had a negative history, but this isn't that serious.

i have 4b hair and it can be a real nuisance sometimes, i've learned to deal with and appreciate what i have but if i had the choice id have 3b hair because of the manageability. I'm proud of who I am so to say this is really no big deal, some people wouldn't want change their hair for anything and some would and often find ways to change it.

this hair board is filled with suggestions and comments on the best way to change hair texture or give the apperance of it (relaxers, texturizers, twist/braidouts, rollersets, shampoos and concoctions etc.) so what's the big deal about this question?
What about plastic surgery, or weightloss?

people of all kinds change things about themselves or atleast want to.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I like my hair, it fits my personality and my looks.

I don't know, I just think it's good to look ahead and use the wonderful information on this board to create what you want instead of wishing about something impossible.

But you know, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to spend time doing that.:)

shunta

Hmm lets see, I think Id choose 3c because of the manageability and I could wear it curly. Id really like that. BTW, Im 4a/b relaxed.

Wishin4BSL

Well, disregarding all of the negative comments in this thread, I would change my hair to 3c because this is the texture of my phony pony and everyone says I look gorgeous with that texture of hair and I totally agree!

camellia

I really think we take some things way too seriously.:look:

When I was younger I would have happily traded my hair for pin straight hair just like my mother's. It didn't even have to be long, I just wanted straight silky hair.

Now, there's no way I'd trade my hair for any other type. Learning how to handle my hair, good products and methods, has made me fall in love with my own hair. I can wear it straight if I want and just as easily I can have a mass of curls.

But I don't think wishing our hair was different implies self loathing any more than wanting a different breast size, longer legs, smaller feet, ect...

LocksOfLuV

camellia said:
I really think we take some things way too seriously.:look:

When I was younger I would have happily traded my hair for pin straight hair just like my mother's. It didn't even have to be long, I just wanted straight silky hair.

Now, there's no way I'd trade my hair for any other type. Learning how to handle my hair, good products and methods, has made me fall in love with my own hair. I can wear it straight if I want and just as easily I can have a mass of curls.

But I don't think wishing our hair was different implies self loathing any more than wanting a different breast size, longer legs, smaller feet, ect...

Great points Camellia.

I realized that I didn't even answer the question. :lol: To answer the question yeah I would change my texture since I already do in the process of relaxing. I think I relax to a 3b, but since I am texlaxed and I don't care for it, I think I would change my texture to 2c or silky 3a.

sylver2

You know, honestly, I didn't think it was going to be drama, and now I see how naive that was. I don't understand why if someone wishes they had something different than what they have, then that has to be such a bad thing. Like the poster who felt that she just *needed* to rate this thread one star. Why? B/c it is "bad" to wish for something different? Why do people relax? Why do people wear weaves and wigs in different textures than their natural hair?

It is like someone can relax their hair, and that is fine, but you do not dare say you wish you had type 2 hair. Sigh....

It is fine if one wishes to keep their hair type the same. That is why the title of this thread is if you could choose ANY type, which would it be. But nothing is wrong with wishing for somethign different. If man were content with the simple abilities he was granted when he was born, the Wright bros never would've invinted the airplane, and then where would we be?

Thats why I didnt even answer because I remember the negativity in that other thread. Ur damned all to hell, hate yourself and wish you were a white woman just because u may have wished for another hair texture...lol

Cheleigh

Honestly, I didn't see much negativity in this thread. But I also don't understand how on one hand we can ask why people take hair so seriously but then on the other we have people on here crying because they had to cut an inch of hair or crying because their hair is shedding because of bad highlights. Or poeple trying anything they hear of to grow long hair. That sounds like some folks taking it pretty seriously.

I never realized hair was a big deal to people until I joined hair boards. I didn't realize that people felt so strongly about being relaxed, or about being natural, or about what "hair type" they had--until I joined hair boads. I didn't realize how serious hair was to some people until people told me they recieve PMs of women wanting to go natural but they can't because they're afraid of what their hubby might say, or what their mama might say. Hair is not that serious to ME. But after being on hair forums for over a year, I respect that it's serious to a LOT of people.

Hair type changing questions are usually going to cause some people to have strong feelings about them, because they can be mis-interpreted. I understand that the topic itself is lighthearted--would you prefer big breasts or small, or big bootay or small--but it's usually the rationale given by people that can be a little...:confused: Like I think type 3b hair is beautiful. I think type 2c hair is beautiful. I also love the look of pure 4b hair. But I'm not going to dennigrate my own (and therefore someone else's) hair type to tell you why I would choose another hair type.

These sort of posts don't offend me (most of my original post was a whole lot off topic, not directed at the posters in this thread in particular and I should have started a new topic about it because it was something I'd noticed and wondered about) but I also don't necessarily see them as super lighthearted either.

LocksOfLuV

sylver2 said:
Thats why I didnt even answer because I remember the negativity in that other thread. Ur damned all to hell, hate yourself and wish you were a white woman just because u may have wished for another hair texture...lol

LOL! I know right...

shaydufblu

Highlander
I wish I could have the texture I have now w/o the relaxer.

AC, there will always be someone with something negative to say. Like it has been stated in many other threads (and in the Sticky), if you don't have something 'positive' to say (not "I think this thread is stupid"), don't respond or you're gonna end up a part of da banned!

Yall it ain't that serious. It's just hair. (I know, OMG I just said the unthinkable...)

Precious_1

I WOULD LIKE 3B/C HAIR. THE KIND THAT CURLS WHEN ITS WASHED SO I COULD JUST WASH AND GO. I HAVE 2 JOBS AND A SON, THAT WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER SINCE I HAVE LITTLE TIME. I DIDNT UNDERSTAND WHY SO MANY PEOPLE VIEWED THIS AS A NEGATIVE THREAD, I HAVE 4B HAIR AND SOME DAYS ITS VERY HARD TO DEAL WITH AND TAKES UP SO MUCH TIME. ITS LIKE A HAVING A 3RD JOB!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
If hair type was a choice and not what heredity and GOD gave me, I would definitely choose naturally THICK, SLONG, WASH AND GO HAIR NO MATTER WHAT TYPE! :lol:

caribeandiva

Human being
i used to wish for different hair types when i was younger. now that i know how to get my hair to behave i love it. i wouldn't change it for anything. It's so versatile! most of the other hair types cannot hold braids, cornrows or kinky twists to save their lives. plus i can do the Halle Berry cut and have my hair look excellent cause it has some texture to it.

pattycake0701

To answer the question, I want my hair, just longer (which is something I think most of us can agree with). I've learned to love the texture and color of my hair despite what others have said about it. Yes, there have been many people in my past and I'm sure in my future (can't wait until Thanksgiving) that have told and will tell me that my hair is ugly and it needs to be fixed. Hell, apparently, there are people on this board that feel the same way:ohwell: Plus, I've learned that my hair can be managable. I think it would be pretty ignorant for me (and I'm only speaking for myself) to assume that someone of another hair type have fewer hair woes. If this were the case, there wouldn't be so many salons, hair care products and message boards dedicated to women with looser hair types. And I'm sure I've read from many type 3's on the board that it is a myth that there hair is so easy to maintain. I guess I'm just weird, I can appreciate and see the beauty of people with all different types of hair, skin tones, body shapes, whatever. Okay, I got off topic but to answer the question again, I choose my own hair.:)

Proudpiscean

Cheleigh said:
Honestly, I didn't see much negativity in this thread. But I also don't understand how on one hand we can ask why people take hair so seriously but then on the other we have people on here crying because they had to cut an inch of hair or crying because their hair is shedding because of bad highlights. Or poeple trying anything they hear of to grow long hair. That sounds like some folks taking it pretty seriously.

I never realized hair was a big deal to people until I joined hair boards. I didn't realize that people felt so strongly about being relaxed, or about being natural, or about what "hair type" they had--until I joined hair boads. I didn't realize how serious hair was to some people until people told me they recieve PMs of women wanting to go natural but they can't because they're afraid of what their hubby might say, or what their mama might say. Hair is not that serious to ME. But after being on hair forums for over a year, I respect that it's serious to a LOT of people.

Hair type changing questions are usually going to cause some people to have strong feelings about them, because they can be mis-interpreted. I understand that the topic itself is lighthearted--would you prefer big breasts or small, or big bootay or small--but it's usually the rationale given by people that can be a little...:confused: Like I think type 3b hair is beautiful. I think type 2c hair is beautiful. I also love the look of pure 4b hair. But I'm not going to dennigrate my own (and therefore someone else's) hair type to tell you why I would choose another hair type.

These sort of posts don't offend me (most of my original post was a whole lot off topic, not directed at the posters in this thread in particular and I should have started a new topic about it because it was something I'd noticed and wondered about) but I also don't necessarily see them as super lighthearted either.

ITA, especially with the bolded part! :look:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I have three diff textures in my hair. Compared to the middle, the nape is too fine, the crown too coarse and the rest just right. If I had my choice I would go with my current mid-type all over. My twists on that section dont unravel easy like my nape or shrink like my crown. I wont lie tho, every time I see an indian woman with thick, pretty, glossy, silky hair just bling blining in the sun, I wouldnt mind changing for half a second. I just want hair coarse enough to hold on its own a twist, braid, or however I want to bend it, and I dont think indian hair would that. I could be mistaken tho.

jaded_faerie

Id love my whole head to be the texture of my hair in the back....not sure what that is....

And I have to agree, this thread doesnt have to be negative at all. Its NOT that serious

You guys have raised some great points. Another thing I was thinking is that opinions can change with time. I think there was a time I wished for straight hair, no relaxer. I woudln't want that anymore. And I used to wish for larger breasts, too :look: but now that I've gotten older, I prefer my smaller ones better :p . Opinions just change. And like y'all have said, it doesn't mean you "hate' a particular type at that time, either.

pebbles

You know, honestly, I didn't think it was going to be drama, and now I see how naive that was. I don't understand why if someone wishes they had something different than what they have, then that has to be such a bad thing....

There shouldn't be any drama in this thread. If people don't like the subject matter, they should just move on to another thread and let those who want to participate do so in peace. This kind of topic is going to keep coming around and around. People should be used to it by now.

Now, on to your question.

If I had a choice of hair types... I like type 2 or 3 hair. I think their hair is nice. :)

But I'm not really picky. I'd keep my type 4b hair if it were down to my waiste!! :lol:

InJesusName

I felt the need to clarify my statement about why we were given "this" hair. It was not meant to be offensive at all.

Being the history lover that I am, I often wonder what type of adaptation causes the kinky hair texture. For instance, we are naturally blessed with darker skin tones as a result of more melanin in the skin. This was an adaptation of the skin as protection to the sun. Other races (Egyptians for instance) have skin of color and are in equally hot temperatures yet tend to have more 3 textured hair.:confused:

No offense to the naturals out there. I think natural 4a/4b hair is gorgeous on other people. It just does not work for me.

Finally, I know that I have to work with what I got. I honestly believe I am wonderfully and fearfully made, but I have to admit the time and effort it takes to maintain my hair texture and keep it healthy can be a little overwhelming (20 minutes to wash--30 to 60 minutes deep condition--30 to 45 minutes to roller set....) I would just love the luxury of wash and wear hair with less fuss. My best friend (with the 3b/3c hair) can just wash and toss it in a pony tail and it looks great!

I hope I clarified that. Not hating on the naturals out there!!:D

aileenadq

I would want to be a 2b/3a, I think. I would also like to have perfect vision, a toned body with no effort, and green eyes.

I don't hate myself, or my race. But those things would make my life MUCH easier...Wash-n-go hair, no need to put on my contacts, and I would'nt bother with makeup with green eyes.

All in the name of shaving down precious minutes in the morning!!! I think loads of us would trade what we have for something else, if only because we don't have it.

JMHO

kally

3b/c. Always have wanted it. Sorry if this offends anyone but I just hate my hair. I guess it is better then no hair at all.

Crissi

As far as i can see, and as far as im concerned we (including us that "wish for a different hair type", simple want what they don't have, i know many type 2 and 3 heads (if not most of them) wish they had my type 4 hair. No lie. Even my stylist she always says ive have thick beautiful hair, and how she wished she had hair like that. And she have some beautiful type 3 curlsand waved that will lay flat frizz free. And most indians iknow always say they wish they had my hair. Yet people with type 4 hair may want type 3 and people with type 2 want type 4 etc.

By the way, i don't say this to offend by any means but i think we should stop wishing, and just get over it. lol we'vebeenborn with it.. unless amedical condition changes or something, it ain't going no where. I use to want type 3 hair (i have type 4), but damn it mana black girl with long thick big ol type 4 hair is so sexy to me...

hopeful

To the OP: Thanks for starting this thread. Maybe this will be the one to get us over the hump, you know, and people can be more free and open about their feelings without being attacked or put down. I love reading all of the ladies' different opinions.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Yeah that would be the big ole White elephant in the room that folk don't wanna talk about. I don't subscribe to the philosophy that errrbody with relaxed hair is self hating, not at all, but it's pretty OBVIOUS that they prefer a different hair type to their own.

Cheleigh said:
But one of the few things we have that could be consider rare, the one thing that bascially only people closely descended from Africa (and it's geographical environs) have: our kinky-curly-wooly-hair--it seems to be the only rare beauty trait few people prize. Even worse, it's sometimes reviled. :(

Koala Boof, who is IMHO certifiably insane, but sometimes on point said something similar to this and it really changed my perspective on how I regard my hair.

When I decided to go natural, I expected my hair to look like Crazycoil's. I would have preferred that it look like Peachtree's, but pessimist that I am, I pretty much expected to get the polar opposite of what I wanted.

What I ended up with is combo 4a/b hair. I wouldn't change it. For me, the look and feel of my hair is sensual. I can't keep my hands out of it and other folk literally MOLEST my hair. <===(sometimes that's a good thing)

Now sometimes when I sin and go to bed with my hair loose and wake up with it matted to my head...YES, I absolutely wish that I had one of those looser hair types that I could just run a comb through, but thats for convenience sake, not aesthetics.

sexyaqr

I love my hair as is. I have never wanted or even wished that I had a different texture, even as a child. But maybe it is because I already had long hair( because of my mother).

I have four sisters and all of us have different textures. My baby sister is a type 1 and my middle sister is 4bcdef, just to illustrate. But growing up we ALL had beyond shoulder length hair. So it just goes to show with good any hair type can grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.