If at first you don't succeed... (APL to NL... SIGH)

LovelyRo

Dust yourself off and try again...

I've been growing my hair for 2 years now and I've been battling some serious damage that has hindered my progress the entire duration! I finally decided to cut all the dry, brittle, breaking hair into a layered bob! The cut has not grown on me yet as I wanted it a little longer in the front and the layers are way too deep for me... HOWEVER... I am happy to be starting over. No sense in having RAGGEDY APL hair that you are ashamed to show.....

http://public.fotki.com/ladyrah05/2009-progress-pic/pics/

Last edited:

loveisnthehouse

I'm sorry that you had to cut your hair. However, I think you cut looks very nice! I hope it will grow on you soon as you grow your hair out again.

LovelyRo

Thanks... I hope so too. I hope that I like it by my next relaxer... after it has grown about 2 inches!

My hair feels a lot better now. I don't miss my length per se but, I've had WAY better bob cuts than this one!

locabouthair

I really like the bob! Your hair is so thick!

Do you know what caused the breakage?

I had really bad breakage too. I cut my hair this week and now it's up to my ears. Thats how bad it broke off.

LovelyRo

I'm trying so hard to be positive about this. I don't miss my hair... I honestly didn't like the condition of it! I was always self-conscious when I wore it out. I was texlaxed but that just didn't work for me so I started relaxing bone straight. Now most of the texlaxed hair is gone and I don't have to battle the two textures anymore :)!!!

Sonye93

I applaud you *clap clap clap*. LOL. You did what you knew was right for your hair, and that's all that really matters. Health over length right? I hope you have a HHJ from now on.

LovelyRo

I really like the bob! Your hair is so thick!

Do you know what caused the breakage?

I had really bad breakage too. I cut my hair this week and now it's up to my ears. Thats how bad it broke off.

Thank you and sorry you had to do the same thing!!! I think it takes a lot of courage to cut it... especially when you are trying to grow you hair out!!!

My breakage is a result of a couple things... In May '07 I used a color remover... my hair turned ORANGE and BLUEISH GREEN. That was the dumbest thing I have ever done to my hair. I noticed the thinning in the crown in Nov. 07.

I wore sew-ins on top of my thinning breaking hair and that didn't make it any better... I never allowed my hair to recover. I would trim a couple inches but it was never enough.

That's why I'm here now.... It really took me a long time to make this decision. I didn't even tell my SO... I just came home with the cut today!

Kellum

I love the cut. It looks very healthy and thick. To be honest I didn't think your before pics looked bad at all but you know best. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. You'll be there again in no time. :)

sharifeh

This same thing happened to me in high school! I had to cut my hair super short because of heat damage. It'll literally grow back in no time!
For now, enjoy your easier to detangle, shorter hair!
It won't last for long!!!

ajacks

Your hair is wonderfully thick! I like the before and after pictures. I am sure your hair will grow back in no time.

FluffyRed

I am lusting after a beautiful bob, too, as my ends need at *least* an inch trimmed off.

I'm betweem SL and APL.

Ur my motivation. Thanks!

BTW, my reason is the same. Texlaxed fine hair past SL can be a nightmare with shed strands getting stuick and causing mats.

Yours looked better than mine, tho. Mine rarely looks "styled"

Last edited:

nikki2229

Your hair looks great. I didn't think that your before looked bad. I am sure you know your hair best. I really do like your new cut.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Thank you and sorry you had to do the same thing!!! I think it takes a lot of courage to cut it... especially when you are trying to grow you hair out!!!

My breakage is a result of a couple things... In May '07 I used a color remover... my hair turned ORANGE and BLUEISH GREEN. That was the dumbest thing I have ever done to my hair. I noticed the thinning in the crown in Nov. 07.

I wore sew-ins on top of my thinning breaking hair and that didn't make it any better... I never allowed my hair to recover. I would trim a couple inches but it was never enough.

That's why I'm here now.... It really took me a long time to make this decision. I didn't even tell my SO... I just came home with the cut today!

you actually made me feel better because my hair is going through some "thangs" and I'm wondering if I should and start fresh or if I should give it a chance and see if it improves. I have sort of an upside down U at the back... I can't wear my hair down...

isabella09

Congratulation’s on your fresh start, the cut look’s beautiful, you will be at your goal in no time!

Last edited:

LovelyRo

Thanks everyone!!!

The last 3-4 inches of my hair were ROUGH and DRY... all the DCing and Moisturizing in the world would not bring it back to life! But I could have worked with that... It was the crown to the nape... right down the middle that was the problem area. Trust me almost every hair in that section had MULTIPLE splits.

LovelyRo

I am lusting after a beautiful bob, too, as my ends need at *least* an inch trimmed off.

I'm betweem SL and APL.

Ur my motivation. Thanks!

BTW, my reason is the same. Texlaxed fine hair past SL can be a nightmare with shed strands getting stuick and causing mats.

Yours looked better than mine, tho. Mine rarely looks "styled"

Hey start small... that's what I did. Back in March I cut about 2 1/2 - 3 inches off just to see if it made a difference. That didn't work for me because I would always take my healthy longer strands up to the length of the shorter hair without really cutting any of the damage off.

Everyone's hair doesn't grow even but, if the reason for your uneveness is damage... sometimes it's best to just get rid of it!

I feel like I wasted time... If I would have cut my SL hair (Nov. 07) back into a bob (3 inches) I would be so much better off now!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I know how this feels. 3" of my hair went at the beginning of summer. Never mind, it will grow back and it will be thicker than ever. Just make sure you baby those ends and prevent any further breakage. Evaluate and determine what caused the breakage in the first place and eliminate that from your regimen.

weaveadiva

lawd your new cut is fiyah!

i'm sorry for your loss but it looks like you are off to a great new beginning :grin:

gissellr78

The layered bob is HAWT!!!! i love it...I agree i rather have healthy hair than raggedy long hair....but your apl hair didnt look bad!