I Want To Go Natural......

levette

but I'm overwhelmed of what to do.. Bc is not for me right now.. I tend to be a frequent washed so I'm unsure if this will work for me in a long term transition.. But I love the natural look and know my scalp will be so much better.. I'm about 9 weeks post

Last edited:

L.Brown1114

My natural hair is WAYYY less maintenance than my relaxed hair. I relaxed and regretted it. It was like going from single to having a very needy boyfriend lol

The upkeep wasn't worth the look. Plus relaxed hair just doesn't cut it for me. I prefer my natural hair straight. Im BCing again soon and I'm not transitioning because my hair has different needs. I don't see why I should spend time and products on hair in not even going to keep. So I got box braids. I'm gonna BC and then get twists and yarn braids until my hair grows to where I'm comfy with length wise

LovingLady

Is there a specific reason why you wash your hair frequently (habits, scalp issue, etc.)? I know there are some women who protective styled throughout their transition, as their hair got long they slowly cut off their relaxed ends.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
You should really consider it especially if you are experiencing scalp issues.

When I was relaxed(over 20 years) I never did my own hair. I've been natural almost 2 years and I only go to the salon to get my color now. I have learned so about my hair and it's very easy to manage. I transitioned for 17 months with the help of a salon. My transition was one of the hardest things I ever done. There were days I hated the way I looked and wanted to give up, but I'm so happy I went through with it.

All while I was relaxed I suffered from dandruff and I would get chemical burns every retouch no matter how much I was based. I no longer have dandruff and of course I don't have to worry about burns anymore.

Whatever you decide remember it's just hair and you can always change it.

Honey Bee

I did a two year transition and barely changed my reggie. Same ol' flexi sets, same old buns, a little more work laying down my edges. I washed once or twice a week. I dc'd more often tho. I trimmed regularly so my hair stayed about the same length (almost APL).

sgold04

I transitioned before I knew what I was doing (5 years before I found LHCF) but my hair actually held up well. I did a lot of wet sets, buns, or kept it straight. I chopped when my hair got to shoulder length.

If you've been a member here for a while then you already have the hair care basics: protein-moisture balance, take care of your ends, and gentle detangling.

levette

Is there a specific reason why you wash your hair frequently (habits, scalp issue, etc.)? I know there are some women who protective styled throughout their transition, as their hair got long they slowly cut off their relaxed ends.
My scalp becomes itchy and flaky if I don't wash

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I won't lie, transitioning sucks. But, the outcome is worth it, IMO.

During my two year transition I did wet buns, a single braid (and resulting braidout ponytail), and braid and curls. With two textures you want to keep the styling simple. Just remember to be gentle on your edges.

You may also want to see a dermatologist about your scalp. I have seborrheic dermatitis and though quitting relaxers helped a little, it wasn't a magic bullet. I still get flaking and itchiness if I don't cleanse my scalp regularly.

Sosoothing

How often do you have to wash it now?
And does it mean the remedies you tried for itchy scalp didn't work?

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing your hair naturally. I'm just curious.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I've been natural now since 2003. I wash my hair twice a week now, but I've washed as frequently as every other day when I did hot yoga near daily.

If you are concerned about drying out your hair with super frequent shampoos, I didn't have a problem as long as I used a super mild shampoo and GREAT leave ins.

If styling and detangling is your concern, you need to work out the types of styles that will work well with the frequent manipulation.

Dee Raven

I've been natural now since 2003. I wash my hair twice a week now, but I've washed as frequently as every other day when I did hot yoga near daily.

If you are concerned about drying out your hair with super frequent shampoos, I didn't have a problem as long as I used a super mild shampoo and GREAT leave ins.

If styling and detangling is your concern, you need to work out the types of styles that will work well with the frequent manipulation.

@mzteaze , would you mind elaborating more on this? What shampoos and leave-ins have you found, and what styles? I'm curious. Thx.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
@mzteaze , would you mind elaborating more on this? What shampoos and leave-ins have you found, and what styles? I'm curious. Thx.

I didn't use anything extra special....

I found that Deva Curl Low Poo shampoo was very gentle for near daily use. It's still a favorite. I always rinsed my hair well then used two small coin sized drops of shampoo for one poo. Then used a GREAT conditioner like Joico K-Pak Revitalize.

My leave-in was It's a 10! (Original) usually but I've used others equally as well.

Since I didn't want to spend lots of time on styling, I tended to do wash n' gos, twist-outs or pony tails since I was (am) styling challenged. Just keep in mind, wash n go tends to need more maintenance in the evening, especially if you have no success with second day hair like me. I have fine, high porosity hair, so protein is my friend and savior.

At night I moisturized just a little and put my hair up for bed. I also always did a deep conditioning once a week and regularly applied JBCO and Vatika to lightly misted hair at night. I didn't have any adverse problems despite concerns over the regular manipulation of my hair.

The main hair style that's completely impossible is straight, relaxed style hair. This works best for those who embrace curly styles like twist-outs, Bantu knots, etc.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I transitioned over a span of two years. If my goal was to get longer hair fast then I would transition long term again. I found that keeping the relaxed hair 'protected' my natural ends. I let the relaxed ends takethe beating since I was cutting them off anyway. I had two years of perfect retention. I haven't had that since :whyme:.

discodumpling

Braid it up and forget about it (with maintainance of course) for at least 6months to a year. Then BC and be done with it. You WANT a twa. Twa's allow you time to get to know your natural hair while it grows lovelier and longer.
Do it Sis! It is one of the best most empowering things i have ever done for myself. #noregrets
I'm a frequent washer/rinser myself. I only use shampoo every 6 to 8 weeks ir whenever my hair asks for it though.

shasha8685

I transitioned for 13 months out of pure laziness.

I wore twist outs (when I wanted to wear my own hair), wigs ( when I didn't want to deal with my hair), and braids in the summer. To that end, transitioning wasn't that bad. Wash days were the worst part of transitioning because my relaxed ends would tangle like no other.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@levette, I am 2 years post relaxer right now and still transitioning. It's a lot of trial and error but once you figure it out, you'll be on auto-pilot. I wore wigs for the first year because my relaxed hair is prone to tangles, thus wearing wigs enabled me to extend the timeframe between wash days. I've worn a mixture of buns, 2 strand twists, French braids and wigs during year 2. I recently cut some of the relaxed hair (5 inches) so things are way more manageable and I'm now able to wash my hair weekly. Don't be intimidated or overwhelmed, do the same thing you're doing to your hair now. Just make small tweaks once you see something is no longer working. The worst that can happen is you find it's not for you and relax your hair.

I will help you @sunnieb.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@levette
I just turned 21 months post on the 26th. I never thought I'd EVER Transition or be "Relaxer Free" While it hasn't been too terribly difficult, it's not easy either.

But for me and the health of my hair it has been a good decision and I'm glad I made it.

I would suggest reading through and possibly joining the Transitioning w/o BC'ing thread for support and inspiration.

There are several of us in there and in other threads ALL trying to get to the same place.

ETA: I do my Hair twice a week.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Your comment about your circle of friends made me think about my own. One is medium length natural, one is loc'd, one keeps a perpetual TWA, one is a super curly and colored natural, and I'm a recent texlaxer, APL length, that looks like my natural hair when I would blow it out. When I consider it, we're all unique in hair and personalities but we all vibe and click together. I love my little circle!
:lachen:

Seriously considering it! My natural friends have been wearing me down for the last few years. I'm one of 2 relaxed heads left in our circle.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I've been transitioning for 4 1/2 years. 2.5 years from relaxed to texlaxed and 2 years from texlaxed to natural. Once you find a daily hair style you can just go on autopilot. I do buns and braidout ponytails. If you don't mind not wearing your hair out, you can definitely do it.

almond eyes

I wanted to do a long term transition, but my hair is fine so the transition wasn't working. I had to BC all of it off. I loved the BC it worked for me though I know not for everyone. It was the 6-12 month mark I detested the most. I would not want to go through that again EVER. But now, my hair is a very happy camper. I have fine low porosity hair and I had scalp issues with my relaxers and my was was resistant to the chemicals so my hair dressers would always have to over process it for it to take which would cause more damage. I am so glad now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hair is now stretched SL in the back and in the front nose and chin length.

Best,
Almond Eyes

nirel333

I just ended my 3 year transition a couple months ago..it was the most difficult and frustrating hair experience of my life. A big chop was not an option for me because I had a lot of hair so I lived in wigs. I would clarify, deep condition, moisturize and braid my hair back up twice a month. I did this for a little over 2 years. I retained all my growth and I'm now fully natural and in between BSL and MBL. My advice is only transition long-term if you're prepared to battle and blend two completely different textures for the next couple years..Otherwise just big chop and get it over with

DarkAngell

Big Chop and get on with your life!
Honestly this is the truth. The first time i went natural i transitioned for a year and kept it tied up the whole time. Then i chopped and had no idea what to do with it and except try to beat it into submission. I had to learn fast since i didn't quite have enough length to tie it up. I didn't learn.... Anything... At all. Lol. I put it right into microbraids and after that texlaxed. That was in 2008.

Last august i big chopped but this time i chopped it all down to about an inch long and had it tapered in the back. It's been SO easy. I got to learn it as it grows, just as most said they did in the bic chop thread, and it's been a true learning experience and i had no choice but to let my hair grow the way it will and work with it.

full disclosure: i texlaxed early this month. Milder then when I used to do it. So it's still 3c/4a with just alittle less bulk. But i know if or when i go natural again i will be chopping instead of transitioning.

L.Brown1114

I transitioned over a span of two years. If my goal was to get longer hair fast then I would transition long term again. I found that keeping the relaxed hair 'protected' my natural ends. I let the relaxed ends takethe beating since I was cutting them off anyway. I had two years of perfect retention. I haven't had that since :whyme:.

Maybe it was because for those 2 years you weren't taking the time to learn how to care for your ends when they are natural. Doing a BC helps you learn your natural hair and what it wants and needs. If you transition your first time going natural and you got all this hair you're almost a stranger to because you won't know your TRUE curl pattern until the relaxer is cut off you'll be overwhelmed and maybe wind up relaxing again

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Do what you think will work for you. Support is also needed.

As a LTT, I don't blame you for not wanting to do a BC. I'm not sure if you are a frequent washer now, but I don't see how maintaining that routine can hurt if it is currently working for you.

The hardest parts about transitioning will be dealing with 2 textures and maintaining a balance with 2 textures.

Because you are a frequent washer, bunning may be best for you. It will also take a few months, maybe a year, for you to notice any significant scalp difference because the scalp needs time to heal. I used to have extremely dry scalp when I was relaxing, now, not so much. Barely. It could just be irritation. I wouldn't recommend going to a doctor just yet because it just may be an irritated scalp due to relaxing. It happens.