I want to go natural!!!!

As you all my know i am new to LHCF, and after coming up here everyday and doing some research i decided that i want to go natural. it has been 11 weeks today since i had my last relaxer, and i just wanted to know some info on how i can make my transition without going through the BC right now. i think i might cut it over the summer, but not now. Also i was reading the threads about coarse hair, and i have extremely coarse hair. it doensn't retain much moisture or soften up no matter what product i use. is the a product that will help me with the texture of my coarse hair? i also was wondering if i go natural will my natural textre me the extremely coarse hard to deal with hair? what are some good products that i can use in my hair without weighing it down or making it stiff because a substaintial amount of products that i have used have made it stiff, hard, or weighed down.

I used sew ins to get me through the transition. My mom always says a watched pot never boils...Sitting there looking at my hair everyday as I was transitioning was way to difficult so I needed to cover it up! Good luck and congrats on your decision!

Last edited:
I was natural and i am kicking myself for going back to relaxing. When i transitioned i just wore braids and full sew in weaves for about a year and then i did a bc after about a year.... It didnt take much at all and i wasnt really in to caring for my hair when i did it . But try to care for the relaxed and natural parts and the line of demarcation.

i understand that maybe some type of weave or braids, but i always had a fit when it comes to weaves, i only hade a weave/extensions 4 times in my life. i hate fake hair, so i think that it is going to be a problem for me, and braids i tend to take them out as soon as they put them in. i think this is going to be a difficult transition.:sad:

Your hair will initially be hard to deal with because its a new texture for you. I'm assuming that you will transition so you have to be careful to watch the line of demarcation between the relaxed and the natural hair.
Your hair will be coarse- but there are a myriad of ways to moisten and soften your hair. With natural hair- keeping it moist is the key. Natural hair is like grass it thrives on moisture and grows quickly as long as its keep moist- not damp, moist with moisturizing conditioner and a good conditioning regimen. My hair is coarse and I had to do alot of trial and error to find the right products. I presently am washing with a ayurvedic brew and deep conditioning with Asian Hair tea and a Brhringraj conditioner I found in an Indian Super market. My hair is the strongest its ever been- but it is strong already because I really believe in deep conditioning and spritzing my hair with a spritz mix once in the morning and once at night. I have found Carols daughter Health Hair butter or Unrefined Shea butter moisturize my ends really well.
Good luck on your natural journey! Post on the transitioners thread and youll get even better info than I can give you about avoiding excessive breakage and shedding that occurs because of the two texture trying to peacefully coexist.

As you all my know i am new to LHCF, and after coming up here everyday and doing some research i decided that i want to go natural. it has been 11 weeks today since i had my last relaxer, and i just wanted to know some info on how i can make my transition without going through the BC right now. i think i might cut it over the summer, but not now. Also i was reading the threads about coarse hair, and i have extremely coarse hair. it doensn't retain much moisture or soften up no matter what product i use. is the a product that will help me with the texture of my coarse hair? i also was wondering if i go natural will my natural textre me the extremely coarse hard to deal with hair? what are some good products that i can use in my hair without weighing it down or making it stiff because a substaintial amount of products that i have used have made it stiff, hard, or weighed down.

Welcome to the boards! And congrats on your decision to go natural :drunk:

Did you try checking out the "transitioners support thread"? :
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=56005&highlight=transitioners

You don't have to BC, alot of women decide to transition without the big chop. In regards to your question about what type of texture of hair you have, you will not know 100% until you are all natural. But as your hair grows out more, it'll be pretty obvious though, what type of pattern/texture your hair is going to be when you finally do decide to cut all of the relaxed hair off.

You might want to try doing some searches; there are lots of threads about natural hair and products. Whether you're natural or relaxed, finding the right products is an issue of trial and error-it may be that you just haven't found the right products for your hair as of yet, but do not fear--LHCF is an excellent resource for helping you through this.

Also, try to keep in mind as your transition that you are dealing with two textures of hair, and the process for dealing with this is going to be different than dealing with your relaxed hair. It's going to take some time and a little patience; particularly when your hair starts to get longer and longer. Try to remember that as you transition, you are learning a totally new way of maintaining your hair; and just because it's a new way doesn't necessarily mean it's harder....just different.

I hope I am making sense, and I'm sorry I don't have alot of product recommendations because I didn't transition for long. But you are in the right place ;) ....and I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in with some more helpful info for ya.

Again, welcome and good luck with your transition! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

hi caramel cutie! im also considering being natural, i already know my texture very well i was natural for about a yr til i relaxed my hair again last summer :ohwell: im not going to bc i'll just transition and take it day by day btw brockstar you have some pretty hair!

I am currently transitioning with braids, weaves, and wigs. Honestly I wasnt so much into fake hair until the new growth started coming in now I embrace fake hair with open arms lol. My hair is very course and wearing fake hair is just more convienient and easier for me because I could not style relaxed hair so you know I have trouble with my natural hair. Sorry I cant recommend any products because I still haven't found what works for me but I do wish you the best on your hair journey. HHG.

I am transitioning also. In the beginning, it was difficult to figure out what to do with my hair. I now just wear it in a ponytail that I tuck the ends under with. Sometimes, I will braid the ponytail and wear it loose, but NEVER touching my clothes. My hair has really been thriving since I've joined the site. I even got it blown out at the dominican salon a couple of weeks ago and you could not tell the permed ends from the natural. I wore it for almost a week and went back to my Indian oils and MN. I must admit that on the 3rd day, I started applying my MN to my nape(she was really feling neglected:lachen:), and then pooed after a few more days and it reverted back to the natural state. I love that I will be able to go from natural to straight with the blow of the dominican dryer.:yep:

Oh, at the suggestion of a fellow member, I took the sew in out and started taking care of my hair. I was better able to track my progress that way, but if you do wear a weave, you should treat your braids as you would if your hair were down.

Hi im also transitioning. I also do the wigs, weaves and braids. Right now i have my second sewn in and im really hating it because with me being 5 months post its really hard to deal with seeing the edges showing and being out.(and i have tried the best products to slick it down and all it does is revert and curl back up) I'm now thinking about going back and getting braids. I feel like this isnt me with this weave for some reason the last one i had was alright its in the avatar pic. And plus i rushed into getting this weave instead of giving myself a break. Its not hard because i havent thought about once of relaxing my hair but what i am going to do with my edges and my hair next. I'm thinking of getting some braids because i workout and its something easy.

I cant suggest any products right now because im not fully natural...but i do find that cowashing is very helpful....

I did straw sets during my transition to mask the two textures. Also, some find that relaxers change the texture of their hair and once it grows out for awhile the texture softens. That said, I don't think of any natural hair as hard to deal with. No matter the texture, hair period requires care and maintenance.

As for products, Qhemets Biologics is a good haircare line (if you don't mind ordering online).

Welcome to the board.

Back