I think Im gonna have to quit MSM at leats for summer

A couple of weeks ago after getting back on MSM with a new brand at 2000 mg a day ( i took it on and off since sept 05) I popped out with literally about 10 pimples on my face, I dont really break out anymore so this was really disturbing and embarrassing,, theyre mostly all gone now but one of them its still raised and has a nasty purple color which im fading but its just frustrating , Its so hard for me to say whether its the MSM or the sunscreen I use:confused: but Im gonna quit the MSM for the summer or take it like 3 times a week instead, i cant deal with pimples , anyone had this experience?

mblake8

Dont stop! I had the same experience when i first used MSM but i dont get any break outs now. If you stop and start again i think that you will go through the same thing( at least i did)

mblake8 said:
Dont stop! I had the same experience when i first used MSM but i dont get any break outs now. If you stop and start again i think that you will go through the same thing( at least i did)
You know your probably right:lol:, the reason why i got crazy was becuz i noticed one more pimple today but its probably cuz of the EXTREME heat. I havent had any breakouts since but that explosion was just traumatic and i couldnt tolerate that again lol, I think ill just drop the dosage to 1000 for now

~Nigeria~

I have been taking MSM for a little over a week a my face is zit city! I mean I knew I was gonna breakout but I didn't think it was gonna be this bad. Hopefully it won't last long.

Last edited:

jasmin

It passes. It's like a detox I think..or at least I read it. I did get 2 big pimples and a rash on my neck but now the bumps are gone and my rash is going away.

sareca

The idea behind detox is that stuff is already in your body. MSM doesn't put it there, it pushes it out! I'd be more afraid for it to stay. The symptoms are usually temporary and you'll stay detoxed as long as you take it consistently. If you stop, toxins build up again and you'll have to repeat the detox period.

MSM is not like other supplements (or vitamins) we take for our hair. Softer hair is a side effect. MSM does so much more. I consider MSM necessary for good health (although that's not what I was thinking when I started taking it). This thread describes the other stuff MSM does

This thread talks about surviving the detox period. It's well worth a couple of pimples.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89727&highlight=msm+benefits

Look at it this way, everyone on the planet agrees that organic veggies are good for you, right? But if you suddenly switch to a high-veggie diet I guarentee you'll be uncomfortable. MSM is a lot like that.

Last edited:

punchinella

Sereca you explained it so well :)
It seems like the more toxins you have the more intense your side effects will be. (From what I've read)
Also if you haven't taken it before or if you haven't taken it for a long time they say that you should increase gradually.

sareca

punchinella said:
Sereca you explained it so well :)
It seems like the more toxins you have the more intense your side effects will be. (From what I've read)
Also if you haven't taken it before or if you haven't taken it for a long time they say that you should increase gradually.
Thanks,nella. I'm kinda passionate about this one. I used to have allergies. I was taking Zyrtec everyday! I've even had bi-weekly allergy shots until I couldn't stand it anymore. I no longer have allergies. At all. I used have chronic knee pain. That's gone too. My knee isn't "normal" (it's got a denerative condition) but at least it doesn't hurt. :) My skin glows (after the pimples stop) and looks firmer. Me and my husband had a "date night" and he kept staring and finally said "What have you done now?" All irritated. I got irritated back 'cause I didn't realize what he was talking about. Eventually he decided to rephrase and said "You look younger, have you done something different." It was very funny later.

I agree with you about the detox intensity. The worse detox is, the more toxin I think it's trying to get rid of. But that's just my opinion.

Long story short, MSM is for health not for hair.

Last edited:

HighlyFavored1

I didn't really break out until a few weeks into it. My face has been giving me problems all summer and I don't usually have pimples unless it's that occasional one during that one week/month. I was drinking at least 1.5 L of water a day with it, too.

I just recently stopped when I realized that having to go out and buy Proactiv was just doing too much. Pimples really bother me and it wasn't worth it. If the pimples don't stop, I'll have to conclude it was something else (like the heat) and maybe I'll start again...

KhandiB

It made my face look bright and glowy immediately..
Ive never had bad skin, and if I would have broke out, I would have stopped taking it... and my husband would have flushed them down the toilet... :lol:

oh and my nails.. whooooo man, they are strong and white and growing really fast... and I easily miss one pill every once in a while..

sareca

HighlyFavored1 said:
I didn't really break out until a few weeks into it. My face has been giving me problems all summer and I don't usually have pimples unless it's that occasional one during that one week/month. I was drinking at least 1.5 L of water a day with it, too.

I just recently stopped when I realized that having to go out and buy Proactiv was just doing too much. Pimples really bother me and it wasn't worth it. If the pimples don't stop, I'll have to conclude it was something else (like the heat) and maybe I'll start again...
Dang! I need to get back on the water challenge. I've been drinking like 40oz/day. I know, I know :spank:

I break out everytime I stop taking it for more than a coupla weeks. I do frequent microdermabrasion and acid peels which is probably why I don't really mind pimples. People will still compliment my skin. :huh:

Anyway, not that I want to encourage you back to pimpleland, but did you try taking less? Like 1000mg/day or every other day. I'm just curious.

sb44

Ravenhairbellydancer said:
A couple of weeks ago after getting back on MSM with a new brand at 2000 mg a day ( i took it on and off since sept 05) I popped out with literally about 10 pimples on my face, I dont really break out anymore so this was really disturbing and embarrassing,, theyre mostly all gone now but one of them its still raised and has a nasty purple color which im fading but its just frustrating , Its so hard for me to say whether its the MSM or the sunscreen I use:confused: but Im gonna quit the MSM for the summer or take it like 3 times a week instead, i cant deal with pimples , anyone had this experience?

Did you just start using this sunscreen? The sunscreen may very well be the culprit. The worst, longest lasting breakout I EVER had was caused by sunscreen! It was BAD! (That time it was Banana Boat, but I have problems with ALL sunscreen!) It took MONTHS for the breakout to go away. You might want to give up the sunscreen and keep up the MSM!:)

sb44 said:
Did you just start using this sunscreen? The sunscreen may very well be the culprit. The worst, longest lasting breakout I EVER had was caused by sunscreen! It was BAD! (That time it was Banana Boat, but I have problems with ALL sunscreen!) It took MONTHS for the breakout to go away. You might want to give up the sunscreen and keep up the MSM!:)

I am just not sure!! I had been using Aveeno sunscreen but the thing is I wasnt sweating into it like i did that day, so it couldve been the combo of sweat, makeup and sunscreen that caused the zits, i got one more pimple yesterday which is fairly normal , i get one every so often esp with all the sweat dirt and oil in the summer. I have been taking MSM on and off since last sept! so i dont know why id break out now unless its that the brand is more pure and affected me more strongly:confused: