About to GO OFF on MSM manufacturer

Jhunt-smith

FYI && BEWARE
ok yall so im beyond mad about this. There was a post by a member who said she read up on how to test how much MSM is actually present in the powder form or in the capsules. for those who havent read it, you are supposed to dump some powder or the whole capsule in a clear glass of water and whatever sinks && dissolves is MSM && whatever floats is fillers, So i tried this and guess how much of the MSM sunk??? ONE PERCENT!!!! :down: in addition to that, the filler formed some sort of hydrophobic (fear of water) layer, similar to that of oil, on top of the water so that most of the filler wasnt in contact with the water at all, and sat on top of the strange layer. adding to that, i tried to stir it up and..... not only was it NOT miscible BUT when i tried to pull it out with a spoon it was DRY. why would a powder that is supposed to dissolve in ur stomach and be absorbed somewhere in digestion come out of water DRY??? what is worst of all is that i have been taking this 3x a day for 4 days.... so its in my body.

now i dont know how accurate the method for testing MSM potency is but i know that regardless, it doesnt seem normal. im going to buy another bottle from GNC because if theirs does the same thing, i can take it back. Also I found this tidbit of info::

MSM is an odorless, water-soluble, white crystalline material that supplies a bioavailable form of dietary sulfur, which plays a major role in stabilizing and promoting numerous body functions
~http://www.nutriteam.com/msm.htm

Product: MSM (methylsufonylmethane) 1000 mg 90 capsules
Where: Walmart
Brand: Spring Valley
Manufacturer: US Nutrition, Inc

Urban

Yeh I ran into the same problem. I called the company up after doing that test. The lady on the phone put me on hold while she talked with the person who formulates the MSM. It seemed he knew nothing about MSM's ability to dissolve in water :perplexed. They asked me to leave my name and number, they never called me back. It's been a few months now. :rolleyes:

The only problem is that here in NZ, the supplements industry operates unregulated. So even if I could prove that there is very little MSM in their product, no-one would do anything about it.

NCRapunzel

No, vitamins and supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA. Be very careful of what you ingest orally--even when it comes to prescription medication. I've worked in the clinical research industry for several years following drug and device development and after-market products. My advice to anyone is to do the research yourself (the internet has a wealth of information) and then decide whether or not the benefits of a particular product outweigh the drawbacks.

Urban

Aren't most if not all vitamins/supplements not FDA regulated?

I don't know too much about what the FDA regulates and doesn't regulate. I was referring to NZ, and my situation specifically.

OP I hope you're able to take it back and get your money back, or at least swap for a different brand. I know I can't... :perplexed

Gracie

I actually use this product and have had no problems. I usually open them add it to my protein shakes. Last week I added it along with the other supplements that I take to water to prepare to make my shake (it was on the top the way that it always is when I make my shake). I was running late and I didn't have time to finish making my shake so I put it the fridge. When I returned home it had dissolved into this white cloud at the bottom of the glass.

My question is how long is it supposed to take before it dissolves? how much time did you allow when you did your experiment?

As far as the FDA is concerned, it was my understanding that they do require that the ingredients be listed but the do not regulate the amount that a company uses nor do they regulate or evaluate health claims. If this is not accurate, please forward the correct information.

Jhunt-smith

I actually use this product and have had no problems. I usually open them add it to my protein shakes. Last week I added it along with the other supplements that I take to water to prepare to make my shake (it was on the top the way that it always is when I make my shake). I was running late and I didn't have time to finish making my shake so I put it the fridge. When I returned home it had dissolved into this white cloud at the bottom of the glass.

My question is how long is it supposed to take before it dissolves? how much time did you allow when you did your experiment?

As far as the FDA is concerned, it was my understanding that they do require that the ingredients be listed but the do not regulate the amount that a company uses nor do they regulate or evaluate health claims. If this is not accurate, please forward the correct information.
im not sure how long its supposed to take to dissolve, but i know that a water-soluble solute is supposed to dissolve. i left it sitting for about 30 minutes because i was on the phone with circuit city. and it did the same thing when i came back.
and i think the FDA does require a list of ingredients but the ingredients could also say "special blend" and that would be acceptable, and i dont think that every single ingredient has to be listed. i forgot what we learned, lol. and if the FDA doesnt require them to, another group does.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I say buy the msm (or any vitamins for that matter) from a reputable company like GNC, Vitamin shoppe, whole foods, etc bc like somebody said the vitamin industry is unregulated by the FDA bc technically supplements don't qualify as drugs

Gracie

im not sure how long its supposed to take to dissolve, but i know that a water-soluble solute is supposed to dissolve. i left it sitting for about 30 minutes because i was on the phone with circuit city. and it did the same thing when i came back.
and i think the FDA does require a list of ingredients but the ingredients could also say "special blend" and that would be acceptable, and i dont think that every single ingredient has to be listed. i forgot what we learned, lol. and if the FDA doesnt require them to, another group does.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......That should have been more than enough time. I wonder how long it actually took for mine to dissolve...

I know...I can't remember what I learned either LOL:lachen:

Jhunt-smith

AHA! thats terrible. we should probably know. im going to call the company tomorrow even tho i know they wont do anything. i still want to say something

HeChangedMyName

I used the powder from puritan's pride before and it was 100% and I didn't test it, but I mixed it in juice everyday and as I put the spoonfuls in, they went straight to the bottom

Qualitee

I understand what your saying but can we really compare water to the acid in our stomach? I think acid would break it down more.

Jhunt-smith

no not @ all. however, this is supposed to be water-soluble && it wasnt when i tested it. i tested it again today && the same thing happened.

NCRapunzel

Here's the link: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-oview.html

"
Also, manufacturers do not need to register themselves nor their dietary supplement products with FDA before producing or selling them. Currently, there are no FDA regulations that are specific to dietary supplements that establish a minimum standard of practice for manufacturing dietary supplements. However, FDA intends to issue regulations on good manufacturing practices that will focus on practices that ensure the identity, purity, quality, strength and composition of dietary supplements. At present, the manufacturer is responsible for establishing its own manufacturing practice guidelines to ensure that the dietary supplements it produces are safe and contain the ingredients listed on the label."