I need henna help!

drasgrl

I plan to mix up some henna tonight and let it sit so I can use it tomorrow. I've been reading about all kinds of recipes but I'm confused. I don't have lemon juice but I have lime juice. Can I use this instead? Do I even need to add the juice? I read another recipe that said I can add some ACV for richer color I just bought some yesterday. Help. I just want a simple basic recipe.

JLove74

I plan to mix up some henna tonight and let it sit so I can use it tomorrow. I've been reading about all kinds of recipes but I'm confused. I don't have lemon juice but I have lime juice. Can I use this instead? Do I even need to add the juice? I read another recipe that said I can add some ACV for richer color I just bought some yesterday. Help. I just want a simple basic recipe.

This is my opinion. Skip the lemon or lime juice and ACV all together. The color will release on it's own after, expecially if you're mixing it tonight. The juices can make some peoples hair feel dry (it did for me, so I skip it now).

Basic is Henna and Water. Keep it simple 1st and then add stuff gradually, is my rule.

poookie

lime juice is fine, i used it the 2nd time i henna-ed.

i noticed that using apple cider vinegar, i got results that were slightly more reddish than when i used lemon / lime juice.

but, are you henna-ing for conditioning benefits, or to get as much dye release as possible? if you want more color, don't skip on the ACV/Lime/Lemon juice, and don't add oils! oils and conditioner mixed in with henna interfere with the color release.

diamondlady

This is my opinion. Skip the lemon or lime juice and ACV all together. The color will release on it's own after, expecially if you're mixing it tonight. The juices can make some peoples hair feel dry (it did for me, so I skip it now).

Basic is Henna and Water. Keep it simple 1st and then add stuff gradually, is my rule.

I have never skipped the juice altogether, I'll try that next time. You are so right about the drying, my hair felt like hay when I used the lemon juice. I started using orange juice and filtered water.

Drasgrl,
Make sure you use moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

WomanlyCharm

Skip the lemon and line juice, and the ACV...that seems to dry people's hair out tremendously. And you don't really need them for color release.

My basic recipe is henna, water, and I add different oils when I'm ready to apply it to my hair, so the oil doesn't mess with dye release.
HTH!

drasgrl

lime juice is fine, i used it the 2nd time i henna-ed.

i noticed that using apple cider vinegar, i got results that were slightly more reddish than when i used lemon / lime juice.

but, are you henna-ing for conditioning benefits, or to get as much dye release as possible? if you want more color, don't skip on the ACV/Lime/Lemon juice, and don't add oils! oils and conditioner mixed in with henna interfere with the color release.

Yes I want color, need to cover some grays. How much ACV to add? I'm glad lime juice is ok phew!

WomanlyCharm

Yes I want color, need to cover some grays. How much ACV to add? I'm glad lime juice is ok phew!

Trust me, if you let the henna sit for a whole day, the color release will be major, even without the ACV. It will cover the grey. That's how I do it (and honey, I have alot of grey to cover! :lachen:)

poookie

let's see, the last time i mixed up some henna, i used about 1/4 a cup altogether. that's probably a lot more than one would need, but it didn't dry out my hair one bit, because i deep conditioned under the dryer after i rinsed the stuff out.

i also mixed in some paprika and turmeric, and my hair came out very nicely. i've got details in my fotki if you want to take a peek :yep:

drasgrl

let's see, the last time i mixed up some henna, i used about 1/4 a cup altogether. that's probably a lot more than one would need, but it didn't dry out my hair one bit, because i deep conditioned under the dryer after i rinsed the stuff out.

i also mixed in some paprika and turmeric, and my hair came out very nicely. i've got details in my fotki if you want to take a peek :yep:

Great, thanks! Ha ha I have that same bowl and I'm gonna use it for my henna too :grin:

Last edited:

Lavendar

You have been properly warned about skipping the acid in your henna mix, especially if this is your first time using henna. You can get just as much color release without juice and ACV, and it can be really drying to the hair. I've been using henna for over a year and never use juice or ACV. It does a great job of coloring grays without it.:yep:

poookie

Great, thanks! Ha ha I have that same bowl and I'm gonna use it for my henna too :grin:

lol gotta love cheap ziploc bowls!

but just to piggyback what all the other ladies are saying, a lot of people do have issues with dryness after henna; usually after adding lemon juice or ACV.

look up the type of henna you're using, and see how long the dye release is.

i use jamila henna, which has a pretty long dye release period (12 hours). so i add something acidic in the hopes of "speeding up" the process a bit. if you're using henna from an indian market, or any other brand, the dye release might be a lot quicker, and you may not need as much acidity.

since this is your first time, you can't go wrong using a conditioner with a lot of slip, to make sure that all the henna gets out, and to detangle afterwards.

Iluvsmuhgrass

The acid is sooooooo drying. My grays are covered without it.... i've used lemon juice (a teenie bit) and it came out ok but I prefer my mix without vinegar/juice.

drasgrl

I tried it with some ACV to see what happens. I read that adding it created richer deeper red highlights so I wanted to try it. I will make sure to moisturize like crazy afterwards and if it turns out too drying then I'll know for the next time. I used henna about 6 years ago but forgot what I put in it. I think it was just a kit where you added water. I just used it that once but I plan on using it regularly now. Thanks for all your help.

phyl73

I hennaed tonight. The last few times I did it, my hair came out sooo dry. Even after I deep con., it was still a bit dry. Anywho...today, I applied my alma and bramhi oil to my entire head for about 30 mins. I then took the mixture of henna added water to make it a bit runny instead of a paste and then added some coconut oil to it. I put i on, put a plastic cap on, wrapped my head in a towel and let it sit for about 30 mins while I watched the news. Afterwards, I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed some more and then put on humectress. I left that on for about 45 minutes and then rinsed and rinsed again. WHY was my hair super soft? I mean new growth and all. I said to myself, if it dried my hair this time, I wasn't going to us it again. This method worked for me! It's a keeper.:rolleyes:

drasgrl

Re: I need henna help! (update)

I hennaed. I put some coconut oil in it just before I applied it. Man I used so much water washing it out. My hair felt strong afterwards. My hair was a little hard but not overly so. I put some Humectress on it and combed it through and it's soft. And best of all no gray :clapping: So far so good. I'll rinse out the conditioner oil it and wrap it. I'll take pics tomorrow.