I need Henna Help....

MrsWatson

I went to my local Indian store and picked up a box of Henna. On the outside of the box it says, "Superior Quality Henna Jamila". I want to know whether or not this type is safe to use on my relaxed hair. Also, I want to know what a simple recipe is...i've heard of people mixing ACV and different oils to their mixtures. It seems pretty complicated though. Can I use only water and get similar results?? If so, how much water should i add to my 100 grams of henna? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Aggie

Yes, Jamila is a very good brand...it just takes a while to release its color.
I personally only add water and a bit of conditioner until it gets to a consistency similar to a relaxer.

Here's a good thread...
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=104509

Yes I agree with you HotRibena, Henna Sooq is very helpful and knowledgeable in answering questions about henna. You should ask her for a little help.

HR, when you mix your henna with conditioner, what type of results do you get? Is your hair hard or soft afterwards? Is your hair black and how does this mix affect the color of your hair?

HotRibena

Yes I agree with you HotRibena, Henna Sooq is very helpful and knowledgeable in answering questions about henna. You should ask her for a little help.

HR, when you mix your henna with conditioner, what type of results do you get? Is your hair hard or soft afterwards? Is your hair black and how does this mix affect the color of your hair?

Aggie...As I hadn't henna'd in years and was unsure, I immediately applied a moisturizing conditioner afterwards to ward off any dryness (my hair came out soft). My grays turned an auburn/copper color and the rest of my hair only showed a slight hint of color. I definitely appreciated the thickness though. That first time I did not let the henna release for hours as I should have (color was not my primary goal). I plan to do a henna and indigo this weekend and can't wait to see how that comes out.

Aggie

Aggie...As I hadn't henna'd in years and was unsure, I immediately applied a moisturizing conditioner afterwards to ward off any dryness (my hair came out soft). My grays turned an auburn/copper color and the rest of my hair only showed a slight hint of color. I definitely appreciated the thickness though. That first time I did not let the henna release for hours as I should have (color was not my primary goal). I plan to do a henna and indigo this weekend and can't wait to see how that comes out.

Oooh girl, keep us updated on your results, okay?

onyxcabelo

I agree, Jamila is a very good brand. But I'm not 100% sure if there is a variation when it comes to Jamila henna or not. Another good source of information on henna is hennaforhair - they have a wealth of information and also a forum, so if your have specific questions they can answer them there and they do it pretty quickly. This is where I buy my henna, and I've had a great experience wiith them all around.

My siggie is a pic of my hair after my first henna "gloss"- and my recipe was only 100g of yemen henna with hot water and vo5 conditioner. I didn't measure my conditioner or my water, I just alternated between the two until I got a consistency I thought I could work with - mine was like creamy pudding. Anyway, I think the results turned out well. Since I haven't been able to find the yemen henna version I like, I recently bought some BAQ Jamila 2007 crop and the results turned out very nice as well - again, I only used hot water and conditioner.