Please Point Me In The Right Direction for Henna to Color Hair

Mjon912

Im currently 23 months into my transition to natural and will hopefully have long enough hair to finally snip the last of my relaxed ends off at my 2yr mark... I want to celebrate by adding some color with Henna but I've been reading for what feels like weeks now about the right and wrong henna and am hesitant.

For those who have used Henna to color please please please tell me or add a link where you got your body art henna from... I do not want to make the mistake of using the wrong henna and mess up my hair.

Also if anyone has used Henna to color their dark brown hair and change it to red/bright red I would really appreciate telling me everything you did or sharing your video, I have a basic understanding of what I need to do but my confusion comes from reading that henna won't lighten hair but I can add lemon juice to lighten it. Do I even need to worry about the lemon juice or will the henna automatically turn my hair red?

Any other suggestions and advice and welcomed!!! I appreciate it in advance =)

Pompous Blue

Mjon912

I use Jamila or Red Rajasthan (Red Raj) henna I purchased from hennasooq.com. She has a sale on it every now and then.

I have to add indigo to my mix to keep the very red color in check. Maybe because I am natural and it's very fine produces the bright red color.

I would start out with the Red Raj to get your hair a bright red color. Also, I would use the lemon juice and let the color release. Add water (nothing else so that you have a pure mixture.) You should get the bright red with one application. I know I did.

Truth be told, I never let the color release in my mix and will still get bright red hair if I don't add the indigo. I have been using henna for over 3 years and my original hair color is a dark - medium brown.

And, finally, you're correct; henna will not lighten your hair.

CaraWalker

i had dark brown-black hair, and henna made it that dusty post relaxer brown. i hate it. you cant dye over it, so i still have about 10 inches of dusty red hair. its pretty when its caught in the sunlight but aint nobody staring at my head like that.

if i could do it over, i wouldnt have bothered. its nice in the short term but once youre stuck with the choice of dusty brown hair for YEARS or cutting it all back off, youre not happy.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I buy the one for African American and Chemically Treated Hair (I'm Relaxed) from:

www.mehandi.com

Body Art Quality

I also get my Indigo from there. And will either to a Mix Henna/Indigo or do a 2 Step Process to get a super rich Dark Color.

mshoneyfly

Henna will not color dark brown hair bright red like a chemical dye. Its a very subtle color unless your hair is light brown so its true that it cannot lighten the hair. Red Raj is prob your best bet to get the reddest color.

I noticed the diff in the results of that one and Jamilla. I use the henna for the conditioning and cuticle smoothing properties. The color is just gravy. I'll see if I can find the color chart I saw when I started.

I get mine from hennasooq and mostly butters-n-bars when there's a sale. Thats when I stock as I henna monthly and sometimes biweekly.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Mjon912

THANK YOU LADIES SO SOO MUCH, I'm going to screen shot this so I can use it, off to compare prices, thanks again!!!