I have concluded...re: post-relaxer conditioning

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
It is not okay to use a protein/ reconstructor conditioner with KERATIN protein after a relaxer or even a few days after. (I wish I knew what the window of time is) This must be what's making my relaxer go back slightly.

I've done a little researching and this is what I concluded. Also, the Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor, which my stylist puts on after my relaxer, does not have Keratin, it has collagen.

Re: I have concluded...re: post-relaxer conditioni

Supergirl,
I hope I didn't miss the answer to this already, but why is it not okay to use a protein conditioner with keratin on just relaxed hair??
Thanks
smile.gif

my question is what is the difference between collagen and kertain interms of shampoo/conditioner?

Uh oh....

I do this all the time! SG - is it that you think it's reverting your relaxed hair in some way?
look.gif

Exactly Tracy! The other day I made a post about how my hair is great and straight when I leave the salon, but I've made it a practice to clarify and protein condition 5 days later. Then the freshly relaxed hair is wavy...not as kinky as it was prior to the relaxer, but wavy enough to look like it hadn't been relaxed.

Supergirl,

This is interesting... very interesting... I just got my retouch too and did the whole post-relaxer regimen with protein (Joico K-Pak) and noticed very slight waves after my treatments. But in my case, I sort of welcomed the waves (they are slight -- my hair still looks relaxed) because she had relaxed my hair so that it was bone straight. My hair looked okay but it was flat (and I am not used to this). I had Affirm put in too and I am maintaining with Nexxus Humectress (that has keratin in it too). Guess that I will have to wait and see to see how my hair behaves...

Would an ACV rinse before the proteing help this? It is supposed to seal the cuticle.

Chichi
bdance.gif

I'm sorry, but I am clueless about ACV rinses. I have never done one .

ACV rinses close the cuticle of the hair. It imparts great shine and smooth hair. That's why I was thinking that maybe closing the cuticle of the hair would solve that whole keratin protein issue...

At first, I was doubtful about them because I was thinking how could a 99 cent bottle of ACV do me any good? But it really works!
smile.gif
I mix one ounce of Apple Cider Vinegar to eight ounces of distilled water. I use it before my conditioner.

Here's the link for more on on ACV rinses:

ACV Rinse

Chichi
bdance.gif

Wow that's strange. I always use a reconstructor the same day I relax and didn't notice that. Could it be because of the clarification step??? Or do you think this would happen if you didn't clarify?

Honi, what reconstructor do you use and does it contain keratin?

No...I believe it's wheat. If it's the keratin that's doing that to ya I will stay far away from it.

Thanks Honi,

I'm sure the wheat protein is fine to use shortly after a relaxer. Obviously, with Keratin--there must be some time between the relaxer and a reconstructor conditioner with Keratin.

just a question about Joico K-pak..what is the approximate cost and where do you ladies buy it?

K-Pak can be found at places like TradeSecret and Ulta. It costs about $2 per ounce.

Back