I got 2 inches in 2 months........

fancypants007

Hi all,

I took my braids down this weekend and after doing my usual hair care regime, I measured and could see i gained 2". My hair before was 23" and now it is 25". I have to admit while doing my hair yesterday, I stayed very calm and in control, but I was getting very tired. Most of my hair is natural and extremely difficult to work with. I gave myself an Aphogee treatment and i don't think that was a good idea on natural hair. Afterwards, i conditioned with a deep conditioner (Clairol Renewal 5X Intensive Hydrating conditioner) for 30 minutes while i sat under my steamer. My hair appeared to be dry and hard. I normally have to put so much woc gel and other products on my hair to moisturize, but it was not working yesterday. I tried to be patient and take my time, but i could again hear the snap crackle and pop. I did manage to tame it after 4 hours (2PM-6PM) and seemingly it appears to be healthy and there was a very subtle shine that was interesting. I was thinking about putting a relaxer in my hair around October because of just being frustrated with my hair, (I have fine hair but i have so much volume), but I've changed my mine. I will continue with braids until this time next year and hopefully i will reach my goal and then after waiting for 2-3 months i will get a relaxer put in. Does anyone else have problems in dealing with their natural hair. Maybe i will try a different shampoo that softens the hair. Does anyone know if keracare detangling shampoo is good with natural hair? Just wanted to share.

ineedmoney

how did you manage 2 inches in a month!!! please share!!!!
i am also natural but my hair is pretty short(chn length at it's longest) so don't feel bad, i have issues with it 2. i hope you didn't lose to much growth.

sweetcocoa

It's great that you got 2 inches in 2 months. As far as what will soften your hair have you tried Pantene Pro-V Smooth and Sleek? Also try Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating Aloe/Vitamin conditioner... and lots of it. Sit under the dryer to let it soak in and then detangle...

miss_brown

Congrats on the 2 inches. Try Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing (white bottle, green writing) or Cream of Nature Professional Regular (tan bottle, red writing) for shampoos. For conditioners, the Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating sweetcocoa recommended is good (especially with a touch of olive oil), and so is Motions Moisture Plus. You also might want to consider clarifying (you may have product build up). HTH

fancypants007

ineedmoney, i got 1 inch a month, not 2inches a month. My hair does not grow that fast. I just keep my braids moisturized, but i did not spray them everyday, just when i thought they were dry. I washed once a week with diluted shampoo and i tried to keep them moisturized. I was also sprayin them with distilled water, because i did not want the build up from the braid spray. Taking vitamins/supplements all contributed to the growth, in addition to the warm weather.

Thank you Allandra and Sweetcocoa, thanks for the info. I think i have tried IC aloe conditioner, but i think you may have said something that was a key point. I may have to let it soak in my hair. I have been doing deep conditioning treatments for about 30 minutes under my hair steamer. Maybe i have to let it soak longer. I remember doing a ORS mayo treatment without heat and i left it on my hair for about 90 minutes and it was very moisturized. I will try it this weekend to see what will happen. I don't think i caused any damage/breakage to my hair, but when you hear the snap/crackle/pop, it makes you wonder. After putting on the woc gel and my braid spray, i could see how healthy it looked? In fact, i don't remember it ever looking this healthy since i started taking better care of my hair since last year. Also, i have been doing headstands everyday for about 5 minutes (this is primarily for the purpose to get the blood to my scalp) and let me tell you my hair has almost tripled in thickness. I know its the blood circulating to my scalp that causes the hair to swell and get thick. It also prevents hair loss and baldness. Needless to say, the thickness of my hair was also making it difficult to comb because it was just so much hair. I'm not complaining, i'm happy, but i just wish it wasn't as unruly.

Nonie

Congratulations, Fancypants! That's just what we braid wearers like to hear! I can't wait to start taking "hair supplements". If they do for me what they did for you, I'll be ecstatic!

Your hair sounds a lot like mine, which is why mine is rarely out of braids, not in its entirety anyway. And when it is, like it'll be when I get ready to put on a new hair piece, if I don't divide it into sections and braid into small box braids while wet after a wash, I wouldn't be able to do a thing with it. Excited as I am about length, I dread to think how harder it'll be to manage when longer. But methinks with all the advice offered on this board, I will be better equipped to face the mammoth. Plus I've got you and Mufasa and all those people wearing natural manes to holler at when I feel overwhelmed.

Napy247

I don't know if you already do this to detangle but:

1) separate your hair into maybe 5 to 7 loose twist. Wash each section separately. Follow same routine when conditioning, condition and comb in sections.

2) Use a brush instead of a comb to detangle. Sally's has a brush called a Denman. It has wide spacing and a lot of naturals have been using this brush instead of a comb while combing through hair with conditioner in it. I tried it myself and it works. You don't lose as much hair as you do with a comb and it creates clumps of curls and coils. There is not as much damage ie breakage or split ends.

Ennyaa

Hey just wanted to add my congrats!! You're making me want to jump back into my braids again.

Oh and about the Keracare, I am texturized (dern near natural) and use the Hydrating Detangling shampoo and I LOVE it. It really helps when I'm finger combing in the shower.

fancypants007

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post. I have to admit that perhaps I do have buildup so i will use Sebastians Stark Naked this saturday to clarify and then use either ORS mayo or Bone Marrow Treatment to deep condition it. This time i will use lots of the conditioner and let it soak for a lot longer. Thanks again for your help.

E

EgyptianSand16

Congratulations fancypants
Another person to add to my list of inspirations. I will be trying the Crown & Glory Method soon
You said you will be relaxing it? Why?

Nonie

EgyptianSand, I think she's changed her mind about relaxing once she saw how well she was doing.

She wrote,

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about putting a relaxer in my hair around October because of just being frustrated with my hair, (I have fine hair but i have so much volume), but I've changed my [mind].

[/ QUOTE ]

fancypants007

EqyptianSand16, it was never my intention to keep my hair in it's natural state. I've always had relaxers and i never had a problem with them breaking off my hair. In fact what caused me to start transitioning was about a year and half ago, i came across the jazma website and i was interested in getting a wash and wear relaxer. Because your hair had to be in a natural state, i stopped getting my hair relaxed. My hair was somewhat long at the time, but when i stopped relaxing it, it started to break off because of the two different textures. I cut off about 3-4 inches and i have been trying to regain my length. Anyhow, i've decided not to get the wash and wear relaxer but i will be getting a lye relaxer. I can have what appears to be a wash and wear relaxer by doing a braid out. Hope this answers your question.

pressncurl

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you already do this to detangle but:

1) separate your hair into maybe 5 to 7 loose twist. Wash each section separately. Follow same routine when conditioning, condition and comb in sections.

2) Use a brush instead of a comb to detangle. Sally's has a brush called a Denman. It has wide spacing and a lot of naturals have been using this brush instead of a comb while combing through hair with conditioner in it. I tried it myself and it works. You don't lose as much hair as you do with a comb and it creates clumps of curls and coils. There is not as much damage ie breakage or split ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Napy247, which Denman brush? I have been planning to buy one but there are several to choose from.

Also, Congratulations, Fancypants! I know you must fill very good to have accomplished so much growth.

debyjay

Fancypants, you absolutely must give Africa's Best a try. I used the leave in hair mayo and raved about how super soft it made both my and my mom's hair -- she has not had a relaxer in 3 months and the rattail comb glided through it! Well Londondiva told me the KIDS organic shea butter detangling moisturizing lotion is way better. I can't even imagine what that would be like!

E

EgyptianSand16

wow you gained 25inches in about one and a half years
or is it a combination of both relaxed and natural? What kind of braids did you get? Good luck in whatever you do, and please post some pics

fancypants007

EqyptianSand, i measured my hair from the top of head all the way back to the longest length but i really don't think my hair is that long. I did not quite understand how to measure it and i found this website THLC and they said to measure the way i described above. I can't remember when i started growing out my hair naturally, maybe it was longer than a year and a half, but i had a mixture of natural and relaxed hair when i started. The last times when i braided my hair, i would get an 1" every 2 months. When i put braids back in my hair around May 25th, i really worked hard in trying to get an 1" a month. Braids make my hair grow really fast, and then adding protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, supplements, keeping my braids moisturized frequently, and using occassionally witch hazel on my scalp to keep it clean, not to mention my daily headstands, i believe all of these things contributed to my substantial growth. I will try again to see if i can achieve that same amount of growth in the months of August and September when i put the braids back in my hair. Hopefully, i will take pics soon, but i don't know how to post them. Can someone please explain.

melodee

Way to go, girl. I do pretty well with braids as well. I'm relaxed, but haven had a touch up in months. My hair seems to get really tangled at times, especially after too much product build up. BTW, did you experience that "normal" shedding after taking the braids out? I had an awful lot.

fancypants007

EqyptianSand i forgot to answer the second part of your question. I do my own braids and most of the time they are individuals.

Melodee, yes lord. I had so much shedding it was unreal. I definitely made sure that i had all of the shed hair removed before i washed my hair. I had a problem with my hair shedding back in May because of a certain conditioner that i think my hair just didn't like. I put braids in my hair to see if it would counteract the shedding and it did. You have the usual shedding after coming out of braids, but when i moisturized my hair last night and combed thru it, i had very little shedding.