2 RELAXERS IN 2 WEEKS.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
hai guise.

i already know i've broken every hair rule/law and my hair is hating me for it but i need some help. :ohwell:

i relaxed my hair after almost 4 years natural on october 6th. i left the relaxer on for 9 minutes because i didn't want to be bone straight. wet, my hair looked great, dry, not so much. if i told folks i was relaxed they would've laughed in my face. fast forward to saturday the 16th, i did another relaxer because my hair was still unmanageable. yes, i know.:drunk: i left it on for 16 minutes this time and it still looks natural but that's beside the point.

my issue? breakage. i'm no stranger to breakage because it was my natural hair's favorite pastime but this is a bit more drastic. when i was natural i had little (c)s, now the pieces are a lot longer.

here are the protein/moisture treatments i've done in the past 3 weeks

-light protein treatment a few days before relaxer
-relaxer
-aphogee 2 minute before neutralizing
-dc for a few hours after relaxer
-aphogee 2 step 1 week after initial relaxer
-dc after rinsing aphogee
-2nd relaxer a few days later :perplexed
-aphogee 2 minute before neutralizing
-dc for an hour

do y'all think my problem is too much protein or too little moisture? i already know this breakage is stemming from overlapping, especially in such a short period of time but what should i do to curb it?

thanks!

I don't think your problem is moisture or protein......I think it's the 2 relaxers in 2 weeks! That can cause more damage than you're ready for. The rules don't just go out of the window, just because it didn't get straight. You still have to wait a while. Some people have hair like steel (strong).....they can do stuff like that and get away with it. But that's rare. Most of us can't.

Oasis

How was your hair behaving after the first relaxer?
What relaxer brand and strength did you use?
What are you DCing with?

I did the exact same thing you did. I texlaxed virgin hair, but my ends didn't get straight. 2-3 weeks later I relaxed the ends again...they got a bit straighter. I don't remember any excessive breakage though. However, the next week I went and got the under processed ends cut off (1.5'') because they were annoying me.

Op, If the breakage will not stop regardless of moisture or protein, then probably your only solution to stopping the relaxer breakage is to cut. You need to find out where its breaking from and cut it from there. It sounds like you natural hair was in a fragile condition so you probably shouldn't have relaxed it to begin with.

I also see you are using Aphogee before you neutralize...I have never been a fan of that technique. To me that's just extra processing time.

Oasis

How was your hair behaving after the first relaxer? there was some breakage but i didn't think anything of it because my natural hair did the same thing. basically exactly as my natural hair behaved.
What relaxer brand and strength did you use?
silk elements mild lye
What are you DCing with? silk elements luxury moisturizing conditioner and ors replenishing pak

I did the exact same thing you did. I texlaxed virgin hair, but my ends didn't get straight. 2-3 weeks later I relaxed the ends again...they got a bit straighter. I don't remember any excessive breakage though. However, the next week I went and got the under processed ends cut off (1.5'') because they were annoying me.

Op, If the breakage will not stop regardless of moisture or protein, then probably your only solution to stopping the relaxer breakage is to cut. You need to find out where its breaking from and cut it from there. It sounds like you natural hair was in a fragile condition so you probably shouldn't have relaxed it to begin with.

I also see you are using Aphogee before you neutralize...I have never been a fan of that technique. To me that's just extra processing time.

I don't think your problem is moisture or protein......I think it's the 2 relaxers in 2 weeks! That can cause more damage than you're ready for. The rules don't just go out of the window, just because it didn't get straight. You still have to wait a while. Some people have hair like steel (strong).....they can do stuff like that and get away with it. But that's rare. Most of us can't.

thanks but this had absolutely nothing to do with wanting straight hair. i thought i mentioned that. i already know i shouldn't have relaxed twice, i just wanted to know if there was something i could do.

Two relaxers in 10 days to be exact. IDK, the breakage may not stop. I recall I had a issue with breakage after a texturizer and used aphogee and it did not help. I had to do a big chop and start all over. My hair grew really fast though.

I think that you could have possibly used too much protein and would suggest that you probably wont need to use that aphogee for at least a month. Also maybe you should consider changing some products in your regimen, maybe a different moisturizing condish ect (I say this because if these products arent helping you with breakage then maybe they arent for you). Also are you airdrying or blowdrying? Did you apply the relaxer throughout your hair both times or are you coloring hair or using heat daily? (If so it may be overprocessed). I have relaxed my hair 2 weeks apart before (due to a hair stylist suggestion) and colored and that ended tragically lol (check first pic in siggy below). But overall i think you could use more moisture and i hope this turns out better for u than me

Last edited:
Hhhmmm...That's the same relaxer I used and I use those DC's as well.

I would lay off of the protein for a minute and only focus on moisturizing for a while. Maybe using the Aphogee 2-step was over kill especially since the relaxer wasn't really taking.

Im just throwing things out there because I'm not sure how it can be relaxer damage if the hair is so under-processed.

Did your natural hair handle hard protein well? If it didn't, then your texlaxed hair may not like it either.

thanks but this had absolutely nothing to do with wanting straight hair. i thought i mentioned that. i already know i shouldn't have relaxed twice, i just wanted to know if there was something i could do.

She meant the rule of waiting a minimum of 6 weeks between relaxers doesn't get negated because the first one didn't take the way you wanted. You still have to give you hair time to build up its defenses.

Last edited:
I think relaxing your hair so soon is the culprit. You may just need to do some moisturizing DC's and hope that the breakage stopped. My sister had done a corrective once. She did it 4 weeks after the first and her whole entire nape broke off. I hope other ladies chime in with more advice.

Good luck OP. I don't have any suggestions. I know someone that did something like that and her hair fell out. Luckily it's not coming out in clumps so I think the treatments you did may have helped some.

Touchy touchy!

Then maybe we should have said "straighter, or looser". How about those?

Afterall you kept trying because you were aiming to straighten, or loosen the curl some. Were you NOT?!

Touchy touchy!

Afterall you kept trying because you were aiming to straighten, or loosen the curl some. Were you NOT?!

:rofl: you're using exclamation points and all caps but i'm the touchy one? lmao.

like i said, i actually didn't want straight hair or my curl to be loosened although i knew that would happen. i mean, srs, what else could happen? :lol: the reason i relaxed is because i was tired of 3+ hour detangling sessions. the first relaxer didn't help with the tangles, so that is why i got the second. i prefer the look of my natural hair over relaxed any day. this wasn't about aesthetics but manageability.

thanks to those who gave advice. i think i'm going to up my moisture.

Touchy touchy!

Umm settle down. It ain't even that deep. She inow she effed up, ain't no need in beating a dead horse smh. It's all about how you say thighs smh

Yikes...I'd try using a stronger protein like Aphogee 2 step because relaxing twice within 10 days has probably killed your protein bonds.

There's lots of other ways to get your hair manageable, other than relaxers. But anyway, I hope you find something that works.

:rofl: you're using exclamation points and all caps but i'm the touchy one? lmao.

like i said, i actually didn't want straight hair or my curl to be loosened although i knew that would happen. i mean, srs, what else could happen? :lol: the reason i relaxed is because i was tired of 3+ hour detangling sessions. the first relaxer didn't help with the tangles, so that is why i got the second. i prefer the look of my natural hair over relaxed any day. this wasn't about aesthetics but manageability.

thanks to those who gave advice. i think i'm going to up my moisture.

ummm i'm not upset, but I talk to people in the language they understand.....and evidently that's her language, because she used it on me first.

When you make posts like this, you're not always gonna get the answers that you like, but you can't get attitudes with folks.

Umm settle down. It ain't even that deep. She inow she effed up, ain't no need in beating a dead horse smh. It's all about how you say thighs smh

ummm i'm not upset, but I talk to people in the language they understand.....and evidently that's her language, because she used it on me first.

When you make posts like this, you're not always gonna get the answers that you like, but you can't get attitudes with folks.

girl, bye.:lol: what kind of language did i use on you and when did i get an attitude? what i did was ask a question and what you did was not answer and tell me i shouldn't have done what i did when i said i knew it was wrong in my very first post.

i have no problem with what you initially said but don't try and act like you come up in here with advice.

I think you should back off the protein for a while and moisturize/ps to let your hair rest.

I hope you find something that works.

OP I've actually done worse I got a relaxer and it burned so bad that only the back of my hair was straight, so being impatient as I am I waited 3 days later and i relaxed again (myself.) I had bad breakage but I used DRC one weak and aphogee 2- step the next and i did this for a bout a month (that's how long it took for the breakage to completely stop.) I have some thin ends from blow drying and I'm slowly cutting that off and with the exception of my hair slightly more matted than usual ( from no- lye relaxer) my hair is pretty much back to normal. Although moisture is very important, I would have to say up your protein to a hardcore one because relaxing destroys the protein in our hair which in turn makes it weak and more susceptible to breakage. Oh and i also used a chelating shampoo before each protein Tx. HTH, and good luck.

Like I said, I hope you find what you're looking for...I'm leaving your thread.

girl, bye.:lol: what kind of language did i use on you and when did i get an attitude? what i did was ask a question and what you did was not answer and tell me i shouldn't have done what i did when i said i knew it was wrong in my very first post.

i have no problem with what you initially said but don't try and act like you come up in here with advice.

OP I've actually done worse I got a relaxer and it burned so bad that only the back of my hair was straight, so being impatient as I am I waited 3 days later and i relaxed again (myself.) I had bad breakage but I used DRC one weak and aphogee 2- step the next and i did this for a bout a month (that's how long it took for the breakage to completely stop.) I have some thin ends from blow drying and I'm slowly cutting that off and with the exception of my hair slightly more matted than usual ( from no- lye relaxer) my hair is pretty much back to normal. Although moisture is very important, I would have to say up your protein to a hardcore one because relaxing destroys the protein in our hair which in turn makes it weak and more susceptible to breakage. Oh and i also used a chelating shampoo before each protein Tx. HTH, and good luck.

you did a deep moisturizing treatment one week and a hardcore protein treatment the next for a month? that sounds doable. i'll probably try that.

thanks again y'all!

Oasis,

I did my relaxer the beginning of Oct, and 1 week later did my corrective relaxer on the underprocessed areas (I'm also still underprocessed :lol: ), but I'm not having any breakage. I also use a no-lye relaxer for 20 min. Because I don't smooth, I have to really put a lot of relaxer on, so if I have relaxer left at the end of the session, I know I will be underprocessed.

I don't understand how relaxing 10 days later would cause breakage, seeing I do correctives 1-2 wks later....

Oasis,

I did my relaxer the beginning of Oct, and 1 week later did my corrective relaxer on the underprocessed areas (I'm also still underprocessed :lol: ), but I'm not having any breakage. I also use a no-lye relaxer for 20 min. Because I don't smooth, I have to really put a lot of relaxer on, so if I have relaxer left at the end of the session, I know I will be underprocessed.

I don't understand how relaxing 10 days later would cause breakage, seeing I do correctives 1-2 wks later....

what is it with this relaxer resistant hair? :drunk: i think my breakage stems from the fact that i had so much when i natural and the relaxers just made it worse.

it's so weird because when i was younger i did my own relaxers and each time i relaxed from root to tip, left it on for an hour, used nan protein treatment or dc, used blue magic to "moisturize" and had zero breakage. now that i'm actually doing the right things (besides relaxing twice in 10 days :lol:) my hair wants to rebel.

Maybe your hair is not meant to be relaxed. Your hair and scalp might be trying to send you a message. Good luck!

I think you should stay away from the protein and use moisturizing conditioners only. That should cut down on the breakage.

Oasis,

Spring Lady, I'm in here snooping, but I take your hair advice very seriously. I got desperate and used vitale and under texlaxed my hair.

Glad I'm not the only one it ever happened to. Thanks for posting Oasis.

You may want to use some ceramides as well. Try some Wheat Germ Oil as a prepoo.

Healthy hair to you!

Definately up the moisture game! I have been that desprate before!!! I just relaxed my hair at 4 weeks post because my last two relaxers left me under processed. But ITA with the other sisters about the moisture. You have done enough protien to stop and only do one for maybe once a month. It is ok though. Keep cutting of the daed ends, DC atleast 1-2 a week, protein once a month, low manitpulation and go from there! Good luck girl!

Alrighty moisture it is...but please keep check on it.. Dont wanna go overboard and cause more breakage due to moisture overload. Eventually work light protein back in and continously do the Strand Test to see where your hair is at. Hope you get back to where ya wanna be!

Back