2 INCHES of growth in 8 weeks

controlFreak

how to handle 2 INCHES of growth in 8 weeks?

Helllllooooooooooo!

Im new, i've been lurking for a while, but did not plan to post till i had piccies!

Anyway, my last relaxer was 8.5 weeks ago, this is the longest i have stretched my relaxer. I usually relax every 4-5 weeks. I have been conditioner washing every 3 days since my last relaxer. I now have 2 inches of new growth (3 inches in the middle area). I have been detangling my hair when it is wet, but i never run my comb through the roots; just the ends.

BIG MISTAKE!

I ran my hands through my hair (or tried to!) 10 minutes ago to discover that i had knots and my hair appeared to be matted where the new growth is! I don't know what to do to get the knots out....i planned to not relax till another 3 weeks, but i don't think that will be a good idea anymore.....what do u suggest i do? i don't wanna lose any hair.

If it helps, my hair is currently armpit length.

Last edited:
Re: how to handle 2 INCHES of growth in 8 weeks?

I suggest getting you a good detangler and just take your time, section your hair off, and get to work!

I just recently had the same problem. I sectioned my hair into 4 with big hair bands, drenched my hair with Sta-Soft Fro for extra dry hair and MSM conditioner (can be purchased at your local health food store). I let it sit for 15 minutes under a plastic cap. Then I combed through it with one of those really wide tooth combs. After that I combed through it again with a smaller, black unbreakable comb. I rinsed, reapplied the MSM conditioner and I blowdried with a small amount of WGO and Sta-sof fro. I know we all can't use the same techniques, but it's worth the try.

corbins

Congrats on the growth! Now, for the detangling, I'd work with a conditioner (VO5 or DDTA comes to mind). I usually will put this in my hair when I take braids or twists out BEFORE I apply water or a comb to my hair. I work the conditioner through and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then work from the ends to the roots in small sections till it's all combed out.

Whatever you use, be sure to be very gentle and patient with your hair. A moments frustration can costs you months and years of progress...in an instant. :nono:

Good luck!!

Take your time is the best detangling advice. Also you can try better braids unbraid, it is what I use to detangle my hair. Just a question, how did you get 2 inches in 8 weeks?

Please do yourself a favor and purchase a Jilbere Shower Comb and us it to detangle your hair while rinsing out the conditioner under the shower. I promise you will see a difference!

Also try Sta-Sof-Fro and spray it on your roots. It helped me stretch out to 12 weeks this last time. It was my absolute life saver and kept my hair, especially my new growth, soo soft!

Good Luck!

Please do yourself a favor and purchase a Jilbere Shower Comb and us it to detangle your hair while rinsing out the conditioner under the shower. I promise you will see a difference!
what she said!:lol: I love my comb it will really help!

I know you may not want to do this but I suggest finding a very good domincan salon for your last three weeks before gettting a relaxer. Im 8 weeks post and yeah I have a lot of new growth also, I don't even wash my hair myself cause I know Im going to get frustrated with it and then rip it out, just cause I hate having to deal with new growth. I save that for the salons to do cause I hate it I hate it I hate it.

Good luck and great progress, i know im mad random.

OnPoint said:
Take your time is the best detangling advice. Also you can try better braids unbraid, it is what I use to detangle my hair. Just a question, how did you get 2 inches in 8 weeks?

Thanks for all your help ladies! Last night i drenched my hair in dove's daily defense conditioner and tried to detangle. It helped, but i stil have a lot of knots.

Im in the UK so jibere comb and dominican salons are unheard of!

Im gonna wash my hair today and try and detangle while in the shower. Im probably gonna get a relaxer on tuesday too.

My hair has always grown quite fast, but i attribute the new growth to conditioner washes using tigi honey and oatmeal conditoner every 3 days. I also never put heat on/or straighten my roots. I have tried many conditioners, but NOTHING (not even keracare humecto) works like good ole tigi honey n oatmeal!

Im gonna get a fotki account later today. Il post pics of my tangled hair and updates on tuesday of my relaxed hair!

controlFreak said:
Thanks for all your help ladies! Last night i drenched my hair in dove's daily defense conditioner and tried to detangle. It helped, but i stil have a lot of knots.

Im in the UK so jibere comb and dominican salons are unheard of!

Im gonna wash my hair today and try and detangle while in the shower. Im probably gonna get a relaxer on tuesday too.

My hair has always grown quite fast, but i attribute the new growth to conditioner washes using tigi honey and oatmeal conditoner every 3 days. I also never put heat on/or straighten my roots. I have tried many conditioners, but NOTHING (not even keracare humecto) works like good ole tigi honey n oatmeal!

Im gonna get a fotki account later today. Il post pics of my tangled hair and updates on tuesday of my relaxed hair!

I dont suggest washing your hair with the knots in it bc then u may end up having to cut them out.....when its matted/knotted up washing it makes it even worse in those spots, which is why the hair should be detangled prior to washing. Ive dont that before and ended up combing entire knots out of my hair after washing and at that point it couldnt be saved! when its soaking wet its weaker than when its dry so trying to get out knots at that point is a no no at least for me.

The shower comb is great for preventing knots but I suggest working on getting them out before trying to wash it or u may be sorry.

Pantent light spray detangler works very well for me, and so does DDTA. section your hair off and focus the conditioner on the knotted areas and patiently work them out as much as possible.

good luck!

Leslie_C said:
I dont suggest washing your hair with the knots in it bc then u may end up having to cut them out.....when its matted/knotted up washing it makes it even worse in those spots, which is why the hair should be detangled prior to washing. Ive dont that before and ended up combing entire knots out of my hair after washing and at that point it couldnt be saved! when its soaking wet its weaker than when its dry so trying to get out knots at that point is a no no at least for me.

The shower comb is great for preventing knots but I suggest working on getting them out before trying to wash it or u may be sorry.

Pantent light spray detangler works very well for me, and so does DDTA. section your hair off and focus the conditioner on the knotted areas and patiently work them out as much as possible.

good luck!

Thanks! I was just about to go wash my hair! I was hoping the water would help loosen the knots but i guess not. Im gonna detangle as much as i can, then wash.

controlFreak said:
Thanks! I was just about to go wash my hair! I was hoping the water would help loosen the knots but i guess not. Im gonna detangle as much as i can, then wash.

Can I give you some advice? Some hair does not respond well to stretching relaxers. If you are mixed or have type 2 or 3 hair you might not have a problem but many type 4s cannot stretch their relaxers. Also, dont worry about not having a DS, they are the most DANGEROUS places for me to visit during the last days of my relaxer, because they will comb my hair with a fine tooth comb and it will thin and break.

When your hair starts mattting, it is time to get a relaxer.

Another thing, when I was in the UK, my hair would break something fierce. The water there is really hard and many hairdressers will tell you that could break your hair. Get a water softener or a water filter, whichever you can afford and give yourself long conditioning treatments with a softenining conditioner. If you cant find MSM conditioner,maybe try the MSM conditioner recipe on the recipe board.

Use a seamless comb with wide teeth, that will help you to lose less hair.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Can I give you some advice? Some hair does not respond well to stretching relaxers. If you are mixed or have type 2 or 3 hair you might not have a problem but many type 4s cannot stretch their relaxers. Also, dont worry about not having a DS, they are the most DANGEROUS places for me to visit during the last days of my relaxer, because they will comb my hair with a fine tooth comb and it will thin and break.

Another thing, when I was in the UK, my hair would break something fierce. The water there is really hard and many hairdressers will tell you that could break your hair. Get a water softener or a water filter, whichever you can afford and give yourself long conditioning treatments with a softenining conditioner. If you cant find MSM conditioner,maybe try the MSM conditioner recipe on the recipe board.

Use a seamless comb with wide teeth, that will help you to lose less hair.

Thank you sooo much. I plan to get a relaxer next week. I managed to get the knots out without breaking too much of my hair, but i don't think il b stretching again.

tryn2growmyhair said:

Not true. My new growth matted something fierce, Yes there was plenty of new growth for there to be matting, but what was happening was that I was washing daily and not seperating my hair, just adding products and sweeping it back into a bun, then washing the next day and have the same thing happen over. It was simply tangling during the washes. I don't advise the use of a comb, just put on a movie sit down relax and gently seperate the hair with your fingers. I find it best to do on hair that is dry and free from products. It does take a long time but is simply worth it. In future to avoid this you can try washing the hair in a minimum of 2 sections and using only shampoos with slip that condition rather than strip the hair. Elasta QP cremem of nature is great for this also the profective conditioner hair masque is great for detangling also.

Good Luck.

Back