I Found a Great Leave In For Transitioning...

HairPhoenix

:yay: Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave In Moisturizer! :yay:

I have been transitioning for a while now and my biggest challenge has been finding the right balance of moisture between my two hair textures. My hair does not like oil and liquid leave-ins don't seem to give my natural hair enough moisture. I have been searching high and low for a good creamy leave-in that isn't greasy or too expensive. Some that I have tried are only good for the day I wash my hair, and by the next day or 2 later my hair will be dry again or the leave-in will flake in my hair.

This leave-in absorbs well, is not too greasy, and the moisture lasts for days. It keeps my natural hair soft and moisturized, while my relaxed ends are not too weighed down. I just have to apply a little bit to my edges daily, because they get dried out the fastest. The only drawback is the smell. It isn't bad and it's not too strong, but it just took a little getting used to for me because the smell was so different.

I found it in a BSS for $4.99 (8 oz). It can also be found at:

http://www.rastagroup.com/html/cactus_products.html

lmjenk67

Hi:

I just decided to transition and I was wondering how often do you wash your hair? Do you do any cw's in between? I'm thinking it'll be best not to manipulate my hair that often. Only moisturize in between wash days. I'm glad you started this thread because I was getting ready to do a search to see what other transitioners are using as a daily moisturizer.

I just bought a product by Giovanni so since I'm suppose to be on the product diet, I will have to use it up first.

so1913

HairPhoenix said:
:yay: Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave In Moisturizer! :yay:

I have been transitioning for a while now and my biggest challenge has been finding the right balance of moisture between my two hair textures. My hair does not like oil and liquid leave-ins don't seem to give my natural hair enough moisture. I have been searching high and low for a good creamy leave-in that isn't greasy or too expensive. Some that I have tried are only good for the day I wash my hair, and by the next day or 2 later my hair will be dry again or the leave-in will flake in my hair.

This leave-in absorbs well, is not too greasy, and the moisture lasts for days. It keeps my natural hair soft and moisturized, while my relaxed ends are not too weighed down. I just have to apply a little bit to my edges daily, because they get dried out the fastest. The only drawback is the smell. It isn't bad and it's not too strong, but it just took a little getting used to for me because the smell was so different.

I found it in a BSS for $4.99 (8 oz). It can also be found at:

http://www.rastagroup.com/html/cactus_products.html

Girl, this stuff is off the hook! Love it! It's GREAT for refreshing the morning after hair too :)

HairPhoenix

lmjenk67 said:
Hi:

I just decided to transition and I was wondering how often do you wash your hair? Do you do any cw's in between? I'm thinking it'll be best not to manipulate my hair that often. Only moisturize in between wash days. I'm glad you started this thread because I was getting ready to do a search to see what other transitioners are using as a daily moisturizer.

I just bought a product by Giovanni so since I'm suppose to be on the product diet, I will have to use it up first.

Hi there! :wave:

I wash 2x weekly. A couple of times I went a whole week between washing, because I was too busy. I only CW now. I have found that I can't go back to the poo's, because they strip my hair too much and that causes me tangle nightmares. So I just clarify 1x monthly w/ an ACV rinse to remove build-up.

Cheleigh

I'm about to buy my third bottle of this later this week. I use it in addition to my moisture spritz twice daily. It's a great moisturizer, and has been a part of my transitioning routine since August.

Lmjenk67: I cw once or twice weekly via a DT. I moisturize daily--usually twice daily (my hair craves moisture, and I've eliminated dry hair with my routine).

HairPhoenix

SilkyandSmooth said:
This leave in is pretty popular at Naturallycurly.com. I'm going to be on the lookout for it during my next BBS visit.

I had been trying to find this leave-in for the longest time. I couldn't find it at Sally. :( I found another store that carries the line, but I first picked up the Mango & Shea Butter Lotion. I didn't really read the label beyond the ingredients and thought that was it. Then I got home and found out differently. DOH!!! :eek: :( The store didn't have the leave-in at the time. I had just assumed that since the lotion was surrounded by hair products that it was for hair. :lol: Oh well... it's a good skin lotion. :grin: But I went back and found the leave-in last week. :yay:

lmjenk67

Thanks for the info ladies! I'll probably cw 2x a week because I work out and I don't think I would be able to stand the smell if I only did it once a week:nono: After visiting motowngirl.com, I've also decided to do no-poos (cw's) instead of poo's (clarify 1x/mo). Besides, I have way more conditioners in my stash than poos:grin: I've already been dividing my hair in sections when I wash/cw so I will continue to do that. I know I lose a lot less hair doing it that way.

If I find that my Giovanni Direct leave-in doesn't keep my hair moisturized then I'll definitely be on the lookout for this product!

HairPhoenix

Cheleigh said:
I'm about to buy my third bottle of this later this week. I use it in addition to my moisture spritz twice daily. It's a great moisturizer, and has been a part of my transitioning routine since August.

Lmjenk67: I cw once or twice weekly via a DT. I moisturize daily--usually twice daily (my hair craves moisture, and I've eliminated dry hair with my routine).

Cheleigh, what are you using in your moisture spritz?

Cheleigh

HairPhoenix said:
Cheleigh, what are you using in your moisture spritz?

I make this so often, I no longer measure, but in relative quantities:
Filtered water, aloe vera juice, glycerin, molasses, avocado oil or jojoba oil, rosemary, sage, peppermint and/or tea tree and lavender essential oils.

HairPhoenix

Cheleigh said:
I make this so often, I no longer measure, but in relative quantities:
Filtered water, aloe vera juice, glycerin, molasses, avocado oil or jojoba oil, rosemary, sage, peppermint and/or tea tree and lavender essential oils.

Thanks. Take out the glycerin and it sounds like a power/fuel drink... :lol: NOT that I'm going to try it though. :lachen:

Armyqt

I JUST picked this up today after I spotted it in SO1913's album. I actually like the smell. I did a little test on my airdried curly ponytail and it's nice. I can;t wait to try it on my daughter's hair.

HairPhoenix

Leslie_C said:
where should I try to find this? Just random asian bss's?

I found it at a "no name" BSS, called Beauty Outlet. I don't know if it's Asian owned or not, but the majority of their stock is for "ethnic" hair.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
All their products are very good. Check out the oils too. I did a review on this stuff a long time ago. Its probably in my aol journal stll but I have that locked now. I LOVED this stuff and the smell, its good for wash n go's. The only reason I stopped using it was because this board educated me on parabens and this has one. If thats not a concern for you tho, go for it. Its really nice and not sticky like sta sof fro and s-curl. If I recall correctly the rest of the ingredients are natural (or at least what we consider "good") except for the parabens.

SilkyandSmooth

HairPhoenix said:
I had been trying to find this leave-in for the longest time. I couldn't find it at Sally. :( I found another store that carries the line, but I first picked up the Mango & Shea Butter Lotion. I didn't really read the label beyond the ingredients and thought that was it. Then I got home and found out differently. DOH!!! :eek: :( The store didn't have the leave-in at the time. I had just assumed that since the lotion was surrounded by hair products that it was for hair. :lol: Oh well... it's a good skin lotion. :grin: But I went back and found the leave-in last week. :yay:

After work, I went to one of the more popular BSS here in Manhattan and they had every Mango and Lime product but the leave in! I was so mad. I was tempted to get the Mango and Shea Butter lotion but changed my mind. At least I was able to find the Fantasia gel for color treated hair that everyone is raving about. The search continues......

NewYorkgyrl

SilkyandSmooth said:
After work, I went to one of the more popular BSS here in Manhattan and they had every Mango and Lime product but the leave in! I was so mad. I was tempted to get the Mango and Shea Butter lotion but changed my mind. At least I was able to find the Fantasia gel for color treated hair that everyone is raving about. The search continues......

Same thing happened to me. I went to the BSS down the street from my house. The owner said that he will try to get it for me so I will check back kater.

HairPhoenix

Divine Inspiration said:
Hey HP (or one of the other ladies who uses this):

Would you mind posting the ingredients? They aren't listed on the website.

TIA.

{DI}

No problem.

cactus blend extract, cactus blossom cactus seed extract, cactus root extract, cactus flower oil, carrot oil, tea tree oil, shea butter, aloe, jojoba oil, essence of lime, essence of mango, methylparaben, & fragrance.

LightEyedMami

BUMP!! :) ....I bought this stuff a few months ago, but had been scared to try it, but after finding this thread, i think i will give it a go. anyone still using this??