I CAN'T ACHIEVE CURL DEFINITION!!

Ginsana

I CAN\'T ACHIEVE CURL DEFINITION!!

I really need some help here. I'm yet to wear my hair out in its curly texturized state because it does not look right yet..this is because I have practically no curl definition in the front and middle portion of my head! I have tried, BBD Glass, Styling Gel, Smoothing Milk by Garnier Fructis, Sebastian Shaper, Good ol fashion water and conditioner and NOTHING IS WORKING! And on top of my hair having no definition when it is out, it looks dry too!
Ladies, can any of you, I BEG OF YOU...please...PUH-LEASE give me some recommendations of some good products that will give my texturized hair excellent curl definition as well as give it the look of being moisturized. I would love to wear my hair out and have it look as good as virtuasis' and model_chick's but I'm lacking the definition, and I know its not because of underprocessing because I got my hair processed right this time, and when it is wet, it looks awesome, its when its dry it gets me upset. I want that big head of hair with defined curls all over. Look at my album, you'll see the trouble I'm dealing with, but please help me out, a routine, a product or products, anything.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TigerLily

Re: I CAN\'T ACHIEVE CURL DEFINITION!!

Hmmm. The only thing I can say is, if you have 4b hair, all you will have IS frizz and zero curl definition.

I went through the same thing before I learned about 4b hair from LHCF. Before, I thought all hair types could have curls.

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
How do you apply you product to your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I apply products to my hair after I condition my hair and it is soaking wet, then I shake my hair and scrunch it a little

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. The only thing I can say is, if you have 4b hair, all you will have IS frizz and zero curl definition.

I went through the same thing before I learned about 4b hair from LHCF. Before, I thought all hair types could have curls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would accept my hair if I knew for a fact that it couldn't acheive definition, but it can, because the first time that I texturized my hair in July my hair was shorter and you could see the curls. Now that my hair grew out some, its like the same technique that I used to get more defined curls for shorter hair does not work for medium length...I'm stumped! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

blkbuttahflyy

Loc'd 12/04 ~ 07/12.

I have this problem but only in the very front of my head near my hairline. It was just wavy, almost straight, not curly like the rest of my head. Since it's also the longest (3½ inches or so), I put some tiny sponge rollers in that section only last night and finger-combed them out this morning. For good curl definition everywhere else, I either use Beyond the Zone Noodlehead (very silicone-y) or Sebastian Wet. The only thing is it leaves my hair kinda crunchy, so I use a leave-in conditioner before applying it and some QP Mango Butter afterwards to soften it up a bit. I am also experimenting with Worlds of Curls Activator for Extra Dry Hair. It provides some good definition and leaves my hair very, very soft afterwards.

deedabug

i've been told its the length thats the issue...or thats all ur hair will do...and the ''no touchy'' theory after washing...which definitely works for me but my hair ends up a big ole tangled ball of i dont know what...so it's cool for me to touch lol...moisture could also be ur problem....or the technique

maybe u should try bedtime ''styles'' to give you more of a curly look...how bout wet or damp bantu knots at nite and finger combing in the morning....with ur best moisturizer added....personally i leave in the conditioner of daily conditioner washes to combat frizz for me...it works for me with no build up, no dryness and no frizz like i want...of course i apply other products while wet....

but dont stress urself out about how ur curls aint as curly...

model_chick717

You don't comb your hair do you? And also, are you using a moisturizing-type product as well as the curling product--I think that's important to combatting dryness...

I just looked at your album--and I can't really see a problem. I think your hair looks great! Have you ever tried Elasta QP Mango Butter? Try using that along with whatever hold/curl defining product you use. It works well for me!

Carefree

I looked at your pics and you curls look cute to me! Maybe in time with more length the definition will be more to your liking.

ETA: Have you tried shaking your hair after you apply your products? After applying my products and while still in the shower I'll give my hair a shake - this allows the curls to clump a little bit and appear more defined.

Lorraine

When I started wearing my hair curly after straightening it for so long I had to 'train' it again. Meaning I couldn't just wet it and go. I had to apply Nexxus Humectress to my damp hair and braid it. After a few weeks it was curling up on it's own. I would recommend a gel or leave in that won't weigh your hair and will promote curls. Did anyone recommend John Freida's Dream Curls yet? I haven't used it but many ladies rave about it. HTH.

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
I just looked at your album--and I can't really see a problem. I think your hair looks great!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I thought when I looked at your album. You do have curls and your hair doesn't look dry to me. Anyways, have you tried doing a conditioner wash and combing (and smoothing) the conditioner thru your hair? After it's all combed thru, rinse before getting out of the shower and gently squeeze out the excess water. Don't towel dry and don't comb it, just apply your "curl-defining" products and gently shake and/or scrunch your hair. Let it air dry and maybe that will help...

GodMadeMePretty

I didn't reply earlier because I was like "what do I know" but others have said it. I don't see the problem. It looks fine to me. I think you have curls too.

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
You don't comb your hair do you? And also, are you using a moisturizing-type product as well as the curling product--I think that's important to combatting dryness...

I just looked at your album--and I can't really see a problem. I think your hair looks great! Have you ever tried Elasta QP Mango Butter? Try using that along with whatever hold/curl defining product you use. It works well for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I only comb my hair when it has conditioner in it with a wide tooth comb. I can't think of any moisturizing type products that could also curl to put in my hair...which is why I need suggestions. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I end up having to use more than two products to try to get the curls going...one for moisture, one for curl, one for volume, one for shine, and the list goes on!

I'm gonna try Elasta QP Butter and look up some suggestions for a good hold/curling defining product and go from there. Shoo...any suggestions that YOU give me for products I will take, I mean just look at your hair!! its gorgeous...

Ginsana

Are you all sure that you're looking at my album?? /images/graemlins/huh.gif because I don't see the great curls you all are talking about...thanks for all the compliments though. I feel a lil better about my hair now... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
When I started wearing my hair curly after straightening it for so long I had to 'train' it again. Meaning I couldn't just wet it and go. I had to apply Nexxus Humectress to my damp hair and braid it. After a few weeks it was curling up on it's own. I would recommend a gel or leave in that won't weigh your hair and will promote curls. Did anyone recommend John Freida's Dream Curls yet? I haven't used it but many ladies rave about it. HTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard of John Freida's Dream Curls but I wasn't sure if it would be right for me...It won't hurt for me to try it though...whatever works.

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only comb my hair when it has conditioner in it with a wide tooth comb. I can't think of any moisturizing type products that could also curl to put in my hair...which is why I need suggestions. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I end up having to use more than two products to try to get the curls going...one for moisture, one for curl, one for volume, one for shine, and the list goes on!

I'm gonna try Elasta QP Butter and look up some suggestions for a good hold/curling defining product and go from there. Shoo...any suggestions that YOU give me for products I will take, I mean just look at your hair!! its gorgeous...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx, mami!

It may be product overload as well.... I put no more than TWO products on my hair on any given day, one for moisture and on for hold. This made a big difference.

Also, what Lorraine said about "training" it is a good point. As your hair grows and you achieve different lengths...you constantly have to train the curls in a way, because they do change...

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
I looked at your pics and you curls look cute to me! Maybe in time with more length the definition will be more to your liking.

ETA: Have you tried shaking your hair after you apply your products? After applying my products and while still in the shower I'll give my hair a shake - this allows the curls to clump a little bit and appear more defined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment girl! I've done the shaking method thing...it works well for the back, but not for the front. I think length might be my problem though. I'll just have to wait for it to grow some more /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
I have this problem but only in the very front of my head near my hairline. It was just wavy, almost straight, not curly like the rest of my head. Since it's also the longest (3½ inches or so), I put some tiny sponge rollers in that section only last night and finger-combed them out this morning. For good curl definition everywhere else, I either use Beyond the Zone Noodlehead (very silicone-y) or Sebastian Wet. The only thing is it leaves my hair kinda crunchy, so I use a leave-in conditioner before applying it and some QP Mango Butter afterwards to soften it up a bit. I am also experimenting with Worlds of Curls Activator for Extra Dry Hair. It provides some good definition and leaves my hair very, very soft afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice...I will take notes and look for these products.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so off topic, but I'M A TRINI too!! I just got excited when I saw that carnival picture in your sig. That girl is getting her dance on!! /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup this is what I use too

ImPradaModel

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so off topic, but I'M A TRINI too!! I just got excited when I saw that carnival picture in your sig. That girl is getting her dance on!! /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/weird.gif

Anywho you hair looks great only thing I can say is when
you wash your hair in the shower make sure it is going stright back so you don't disturb you curls.

Then after you get out squeeze most of the water out add the products ***Mosture like Soft and beautiful mosturizer and curling product like smooth & shine Curl Gel***..

flip you head upside down to get the underside good then Shake..shake...shake up and down side to side

HTH

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/weird.gif

Anywho you hair looks great only thing I can say is when
you wash your hair in the shower make sure it is going stright back so you don't disturb you curls.

Then after you get out squeeze most of the water out add the products ***Mosture like Soft and beautiful mosturizer and curling product like smooth & shine Curl Gel***..

flip you head upside down to get the underside good then Shake..shake...shake up and down side to side

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks Pradamodel!! this definitely helps. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

blkbuttahflyy

Loc'd 12/04 ~ 07/12.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice...I will take notes and look for these products.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was out of my Sebastian Wet, but since I was in Sally's, I thought I'd try their generic version of it, especially since its less than $5.00 for 12 ounces versus $10 for 8 oz. Well, I'm happy to report that I like the generic way better than the brand name one! It has a slightly thicker consistency (Sebastian Wet is very runny, IMO), and has a nice, but not overbearing, frangrance. It made my hair very curly and much less crunchy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was out of my Sebastian Wet, but since I was in Sally's, I thought I'd try their generic version of it, especially since its less than $5.00 for 12 ounces versus $10 for 8 oz. Well, I'm happy to report that I like the generic way better than the brand name one! It has a slightly thicker consistency (Sebastian Wet is very runny, IMO), and has a nice, but not overbearing, frangrance. It made my hair very curly and much less crunchy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh. Good thing you told me girl! I almost spent my money in vain. I'll be sure to check this product out...thanks for the heads up!

Ginsana

Thanks for the compliments Kei and NGC! /images/graemlins/smile.gif