I am a little discourgaged!! Not much progress

Ms. Cleo

My hair just started breaking for no apparent reason last Fall. My temples were bald and I attributed to my half wigs. No matter what I did, my hair would not stop breaking. Then this past summer I ended a very stressful 5 year relationship. That is right, my man was making me lose my hair.

So my temples filled back in, and I have been wearing braids, twists, and ponytails. This is what I have been doing/using:
1. A stinky mix of pine tar grease, Sulfur 8, MTG, capsaicin and MN every other night.
2. Pre-poo with Amla.
3. CON (green) shampoo.
4. CON conditioner (purple) and alternate with AtOne Botanical Reconstructor Conditioner.
5. DC with Motions Moisture Plus or Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil Cholesterol.
5. Stopped using permanent dye and use henna and indigo for black hair.
6. Cut down on my protein usage.
7. Henna every two months.
8. Moisturize with either S-Curl or Long Aid (green label).

I do wash at least once a week and I deep condition every time. My 4 (b, I think) hair was straight but now it is a thick unruly mane with straight ends. I swear I washed the relaxer right out. When I use Let's Jam, it waves up.

On January 25th, I will be 12 weeks post relaxer. I am in the HYH Til' Christmas challenge. I had to trim my hair because it was very uneven due to extreme breakage. In terms of length, I am back to where I was when started this challenge (middle of my long neck), but my temples have filled in and my hair looks a little healthier. I do not want to reveal Christmas. I am ready to slap in some yarn braids and reveal in the next HYH challenge.

I take my vits when I remember. I have not had the severe itches in awhile. My head usually hurts to the point where I have to use maximum strength Scalpicin. I don't mind because after that I have major growth. My hair grows rather quickly, but retention has been a problem lately. A few strands of hair was past my neck, but I had to let them go.

Would it be okay to go back to using ORS Hair Mayonnaise? I know this post is kind of all over the place (not unlike my hair at the moment)!

Input please!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
When was the last time you clarified? You may have product buildup that is causing the dryness and breakage. And what are the ingredients of Let's Jam?

Don't be discouraged...you've had a few setbacks and went through a stressful situation but you've overcame them and are on your way to healthy head of hair!

Last edited:

Leslie_C

I think you need to figure out if your hair needs protein or moisture and focus on that. My guess is moisture. How does it feel when dry?

I think you may need to try some different products and also u may need to clarify and start fresh bc it looks like the products u use could be giving u a lot of buildup and then they stop working. CON is great but tends to build up. Motions has a lot of cones in it I think. Scurl can build up if u use it too much. And lastly, your growth mix might be mixing too many products together and that is probably building up on your scalp too. How are you wearing your hair now?

BTW keep your chin up, u will get over this hump!

Ms. Cleo

I am mainly wearing wigs, ponytails, and scarves. Moisture is my problem. Everything I owned had protein in it and the moisturizing items were not moisturizing enough. I clarify every two weeks or sooner if needed.

Let's Jam ingredients are:
Water - Aqua , Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum , Glycerin , Oleth-20 , Oleth-10 Phosphate , Oleth-10 , Oleth-5 , Polysorbate 80 , Propylene Glycol , Cetyl Acetate , Fragrance - Parfum , Sorbic Acid , Sodium Hydroxide , Methylparaben , DMDM Hydantoin , Propylparaben , Limonene , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Benzyl Alcohol , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Geraniol , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Linalool , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 - CI 19140 , Red 4 - CI 14700 , Red 33 - CI 17200

Maybe I am not giving my hair enough time, after all it did not get in this condition overnight. Thanks for the encouragement, I need it right now :yep:

Leslie_C

Ok, I really suggest u clarify your hair and find products that give u moisture to get ur moisture levels up. I would cut out the reconstructor for now....maybe use it in about 4 to 6 weeks. Focus on moisture moisture moisture right now. I wouldnt even do the hair mayo.

Do u use heat when you DC?

I think u need something else for moisturizing and I would seal with EVOO, coconut oil, or castor oil. I like elasta qp moisture recovery. Its only like 2.49 at Sallys.

You are right, it will take some time for your hair to bounce back, but deep conditioning with heat 1-2 times a week should get u on the right track asap.

PinkSkates

When you get a chance read Sistaslick's Hair101. It's loaded with excellent information. Our hair takes a lot of patience and TLC. :yep:

phyl73

My hair just started breaking for no apparent reason last Fall. My temples were bald and I attributed to my half wigs. No matter what I did, my hair would not stop breaking. Then this past summer I ended a very stressful 5 year relationship. That is right, my man was making me lose my hair.

So my temples filled back in, and I have been wearing braids, twists, and ponytails. This is what I have been doing/using:
1. A stinky mix of pine tar grease, Sulfur 8, MTG, capsaicin and MN every other night.
2. Pre-poo with Amla.
3. CON (green) shampoo.
4. CON conditioner (purple) and alternate with AtOne Botanical Reconstructor Conditioner.

I do wash at least once a week and I deep condition every time. My 4 (b, I think) hair was straight but now it is a thick unruly mane with straight ends. I swear I washed the relaxer right out. When I use Let's Jam, it waves up.

On January 25th, I will be 12 weeks post relaxer. I am in the HYH Til' Christmas challenge. I had to trim my hair because it was very uneven due to extreme breakage. In terms of length, I am back to where I was when started this challenge (middle of my long neck), but my temples have filled in and my hair looks a little healthier. I do not want to reveal Christmas. I am ready to slap in some yarn braids and reveal in the next HYH challenge.

I take my vits when I remember. I have not had the severe itches in awhile. My head usually hurts to the point where I have to use maximum strength Scalpicin. I don't mind because after that I have major growth. My hair grows rather quickly, but retention has been a problem lately. A few strands of hair was past my neck, but I had to let them go.

Would it be okay to go back to using ORS Hair Mayonnaise? I know this post is kind of all over the place (not unlike my hair at the moment)!

Input please!

Girl I feel you on your ex making your har fall out. Mine did the same thing on both sides. He was stress with arms and legs. Anywho, don't get me to go there. Have you tried BT?

eajaye2u

The Frenchee's pine tar is not a joke. We need to bring back the 'stink' challange. It is winter- maybe we wont bother folx with it. It kicks that ng into overdrive. Feel ya on the stress and hairloss. The other ladies will give good advice. You on the right track. Be encouraged!

2. Pre-poo with Amla.
3. CON (green) shampoo.

Input please!

Ms. Cleo

I love Sistaslick's articles. The protein and moisture one is very informative.

The "reconstructor" name is very misleading. There is not one drop of protein in it. It smells good, is cheap, and actually does a good job.

I will step up my game by DC'ing 2x a week starting tonight. And yes I always use heat for about 30-40 minutes.

I know I have to give up my beloved ORS mayo for right now. I actually have not used it since last spring.

Patience, patience!!!!!!!

Nonie

I'm not good with products but I'll tell you that CON shampoo was the first thing I threw out of my b/r and my hair was happier. The build up left my hair dull and grayish looking and it would feel like it was about to start matting. I think CON is the reason I don't use any products at all as leave-ins - except when out of braids when I use SCurl. When I got rid of CON shampoo, my hair had such a lovely shine after an ACV rinse, and the spirals I never knew my hair had till I read about them on forums, sprang to life. I have shared thes pictures but I'll do it again because I simply remember how excited I was to FINALLY get a glimpse of the "coils" people with Type 4 hair talked about.

My hair seen here was shampooed with some shampoo like NTM (green cap) or J/A/S/O/N... I just know it was a gentle shampoo. Then deep conditioned probably with GPB (I'm trying to remember what I used then). Then ACV rinsed as a final rinse. I did all this to my hair in twists. I looked at my notes and it seems that as a leave-in, I spritz my hair with a mixture of distilled water, ACV, EO's of lavender, geranium and rosemary...then sealed with L'Oreal Vive Serum. I just remember how soft my hair felt. I never felt that sort of love for my hair when I used CON. I think buildup is bad for my type of hair and CON is the king of that! I've never touched the stuff since.

Last edited:

Ms. Cleo

On Wednesday night I did an oil rinse. I deep conditioned dry hair and then I used a castor/amla oil mix. I then washed it out and with regular conditioner. Put some Long Aid on it and Vaseline Intensive Care lotion on top of that. I tied my hair down and went to bed.

The next morning my hair was under control, moisturized, shiny, and the ng layed down like nobody's business. I just found my winter routine.

Thanks to all of my LHCF sistas. Your tips and tricks are truly helpful.