How would you know................

honeycomb719

if your hair is resistant to a certain type of relaxer? I ask this because I've noticed that my hair does not get as straight as if did when I was using no-lye relaxers. I decided not to go to the salon and get the Mizani relaxer and chop as the stylist suggested, and I opted to do my relaxer myself. Weeelll, I tried Vitale(reg)w/ Aloe and I like the relaxer. Meaning, it didn't burn or process to fast. But, going by the relaxer time guide, I shouldn't have gone over 15mins(totalx applying, smoothing and processing time) but I took an extra 2 mins for smoothing(total smoothing time about 8mins) and my hair is NOT straight
. My hair texture I think has changed to slighty on the thick side(I think
) Is it that my hair don't take to lye relaxers well or is it something else? I did everything by the book and smooth it out good
. Has anyone else had an experince like this after switching for no-lye to lye relaxers. This is my 2nd lye relaxer the 1st was w/Motions Oil(mild) back in Feb.
What ya'll think?

UmSumayyah

Actually I have this same problem. So did Tonya and a few others. I tried Textures and Tones and Motions with oil. The no-lye hair is straighter (still a wave to it since I texturize) and shinier. I am seriously considering going back to no-lye. I think I will try and have a professional do my hair but if I get the same results Ima gonna hit the drugstore for my old African Pride.
(check out the "Who still uses no-lye?" thread and the "Does my hair like no-lye better?" thread.

Crystal

I just made the switch to Lye myself and I can honestly say that the No-lye got my hair Waayyyy straighter. I used to use the African Pride No-Lye and it left me bone straight but on the dry side so I relaxed with Mizani a few days ago and it didn't get it as straight. I left it on 19 minutes. when I wet it I can see where the lye and No-lye starts and begin because the hair relaxed with lye is still a little wavy.

All I do is wear my hair in a ponytail anyway so i'm not really complaining because there's this wavy look happening.

But I'm a 4a and I can say that No-lye got my hair straighter. But I'm a stick with the Lye and take the wavy hair over the dry hair.

honeycomb719

So is this less straighter effort what I should have expected or is it just something that happens to some people? I wasn't expecting bone straight either but my results is something else
. So it sounds like lye relaxers give the underprocessed look more often than no-lye relaxers.

EmeraldSky

<font color="purple"> I experienced this problem with Affirm's lye relaxer, but I assumed it was not left on long enough (which it wasn't) and that the stylist was terrible (which she was), but now I'm begining to wonder if it could be more. I would recommend going with the relaxer that doesn't dry your hair out which leads to breakage, unless it's way underprocessed you should be able to get a straight look with a rollerset.
I'm wondering if anyone actually gets straight results with lye relaxers, I always thought that lye gets the hair straighter than no lye, but I guess I was wrong. </font>

fletgee

Straighter Hair w/ Lye

I found that when I switched back to lye from no-lye that my touch-ups came out straighter. Also my hair seems to absorb treatments better.
It maybe a question of how our hair reacts to the things we do to it. Like for a while people were saying that Pantene Pro-V was good, I tried it and my hair looked like I stuck my finger in a socket! It was stiff, dry, and shedding.
It was then I learned "everything ain't for everybody". Go with what works for you!