How to protect your weave and actual hair?

MzV1991

im 6 weeks post my relaxer and decided to put in weave next week. I want to keep it in for 3 weeks and perm 2 weeks later. Not exactly sure of the style as yet but i do know i will be leaving some of my hair out. Now i do not have a good history with leaving my hair out when putting in a weave. Everytime i took out the weave my hair would be shedding like crazy :nono: Gets Tangled up or my hairline was losing hair :ohwell:

So all i am asking is When you ladies have a weave in what do you do to keep your hair moisturized. Do you grease your scalp with oil or shea butter. What exactly could i do to prevent shedding and breakage when i do take out my weave??

supermodelsonya

Your hair is going to shed when you take the weave out anyway. There is no getting around that. If our hair sheds 50-100 hairs a day, and you have the hair in for 3+ weeks, of course that will equal to a lot of shedding.

If your hairline is losing hair, I would suggest looser braids or a different braiding pattern.

I wash and DC my hair 1x a week and moisturize the braids underneath with scurl. That is pretty much it. My hair retains more length wearing weaves than any other protective style.