Sewn in weave wearers HELP

foxybronx

How often do you wash?
What is your regime?

I want to finally stretch my perm to 5 months ( I haven’t made it past 3 months ever)..SO I want to weave for two months. How do I keep my hair from breaking??

-SO far I plan to strengthen my hair for two weeks before the weave (protein treatments)

-During weave I plan to surge and braid spray 1x a day. Oil my scalp 1x a week

-I want to wash 1x a week (with diluted Keracare shampoo and a leave in conditioner) and sit under a hooded dryer for 1 hour on medium

-I want to invest in the tangle tamer for when I take the weave out.

Oh yeah, I want to use human extention hair for the braids under my weave.
Did I miss anything?

TIA

yvette

What really helped me when I wore sewn in weave was activator. This really helps to moisturize your hair.

To answer your question, when I had sewn in weave, I had my hair washed every 2 weeks. I NEVER washed it myself since I didn't think I would have the patience to comb it out. Also, I wanted it to look polished and it styled nice so I would go get it done by my stylist.

As far as stretching your perm. I wore my sewn in weave for almost a year ( I got it redone with fresh hair every 3 months). So, by the time I was ready to go back to chemicals, my hair had reverted back to its virgin state, meaning my hair was just like I had never had relaxer before.

MonaLisa

What you're planning sounds good to me Foxy...but I know for a fact your hair is way longer than mine...and I can't keep a weave in more than 7 weeks...and mine has grown a little since I last had one, I might keep it in just for six.

Just be careful of potential matting of the hair - it does not feel good inside to separate that...and I did keep my hair moisturized.

Good luck! I also want to throw one in for a little bit...now watch there will be a NYC Meeting coming up in the near future and I'll be rocking a weave /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
yvette said:
As far as stretching your perm. I wore my sewn in weave for almost a year ( I got it redone with fresh hair every 3 months). So, by the time I was ready to go back to chemicals, my hair had reverted back to its virgin state, meaning my hair was just like I had never had relaxer before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing...now that my hair has gotten a bit thicker...I realize that was the cause of my hair being extra thin when I finally took it out this year. I will always leave time in between to have my hair out to condition and baby it before putting back in a weave going forward. This is MY case unfortunately. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

It may work for others to do continuously. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cutebajangirl

Sounds good. I have a few things to add on:

Don't leave each weave in for more than 6 weeks.

Invest in good hair so you can wash it weekly yourself. I think when hairdressers wash they pull the weave to hard and that leads to breakage of your cornrowed hair.

I think the extra hair braided into the cornrows should be synthetic, I'm not sure if human can give a good enough grip.

Mona- I will be coming to the next couple of meetings with weaved hair.

foxybronx

[ QUOTE ]
yvette said:
What really helped me when I wore sewn in weave was activator. This really helps to moisturize your hair.

To answer your question, when I had sewn in weave, I had my hair washed every 2 weeks. I NEVER washed it myself since I didn't think I would have the patience to comb it out. Also, I wanted it to look polished and it styled nice so I would go get it done by my stylist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really activator? Like S-Curl?

Wash every two weeks huh..I think i Did you oil your scalp? Did they rollerset you?

Thanks for your regime yvette!

TigerLily

ITA with cutebajangirl /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I second the S-Curl. I have a sew-in right now and I'm using S-Curl. My hair feels really good and moisturized /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Sounds good. I have a few things to add on:

Don't leave each weave in for more than 6 weeks.

Invest in good hair so you can wash it weekly yourself. I think when hairdressers wash they pull the weave to hard and that leads to breakage of your cornrowed hair.

I think the extra hair braided into the cornrows should be synthetic, I'm not sure if human can give a good enough grip.

Mona- I will be coming to the next couple of meetings with weaved hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, ITA with the not leaving in more than 6 weeks...and thank you birthday girl! -- It will be nice to know I wouldn't be alone walking in weavalicious! LOL. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

foxybronx

[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
What you're planning sounds good to me Foxy...but I know for a fact your hair is way longer than mine...and I can't keep a weave in more than 7 weeks...and mine has grown a little since I last had one, I might keep it in just for six.

Just be careful of potential matting of the hair - it does not feel good inside to separate that...and I did keep my hair moisturized.

Good luck! I also want to throw one in for a little bit...now watch there will be a NYC Meeting coming up in the near future and I'll be rocking a weave /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your advice Mona!

How do i prevent matting?

You and me both will be rocking a weave at the meeting /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
Thanks for your advice Mona!

How do i prevent matting?

You and me both will be rocking a weave at the meeting /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems two-fold to me...keep hair underneath moisturized and do not leave weave in for an extended period of time. I know everybody's head is different...but I know whereas I was able to keep in for 3 months when my hair was shorter...I can no longer do...

My godsister is a regular weaver with BSL hair...she keeps her weave in no longer than 6 weeks. I will be doing the same. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonaLisa

And why am I mad that the NYC Chapter of LHCF is going to be known as the "WEAVE WEARING CHAPTER?".....

foxybronx

Okay great tips CBG!

6 weeks I can do that.. I was hoping to get at least 7-8 weeks since weaves are so expensive. But if it's for the health of my hair I have no problem with 6 weeks.

How much does a weave run you about? Or do you do it yourself?

What type of weave hair would you recommend? I was thinking about getting a human hair curly weave yet one that I can blowdry and flatiron so I could wear it straight when I want to.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i agree with cbj. the hair used to braid your own hair should be synthetic. i washed once a week when i wore weaves. you definitely need quality hair or it will not be pretty. i washed using the hair lady's method of braid washing. diluting shampoo in the cup and rinsing it through your hair, like mothers do with babies. i would braid the weave hair in sections to keep it out of the way and then wash.

i used wild growth oil and s-curl to moisturize and thats it

i only proteined it when i came out of out of the weaves.

i do my weaves myself, still learning, but it beats paying 80-150 for a 4 week style. ive used BSS hair in the past, but i plan on trying Bohyme saharian texture (it runs like 80 dollars a lb or pack i believe),which is more 4a/b texture, rather than asian lady silky like most brands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

foxybronx

LOL

HEY!!! No one at the last meeting had fake hair soo it will just be this next meeting /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
Thanks Honeydrop!
Can you reuse bohyme hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe so. i forgot to tell you that the needle and thread only costs a dolalr each at the BSS and its really simple to weave, with great instructions from some ladies her and Karonica /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DangerouslyShy

Hey girl...

like everyone said use synthetic hair to braid your hair if you plan on doing it that way....it will help your braids stay in longer human hair is like ours so it wont help with the grip.....

I wash every three days and I have a weave but I wear mine curly so i like to revive the curls every couple days...I wear Indian remi hair...

try www.agapecollection.com
www.blissenterprisesonline.com
www.naturegirl.net

those are the suppliers that I suggest...bliss being the best to me...

What i do is i use curl activator, biotin creme and wgo on my scalp, and i use liquid leavein to rehydrate my cornrows underneath...and shea butter on my new growth...

I cant wear a weave for over a month because my hair grows pretty fast and my braids get really loose and that is a pet peave of mine...but i will take it out wash it good than deep condition it...braid it up and sew it back in..

hope i helped

DangerouslyShy

u can reuse bohyme hair I would reccomending reinforcing the wefts at the end where you cut them with super glue let it dry thoroughly than sew it to your hair....bohyme hair sheds alot that will help with that problem....

but i love bohyme hair its the best bss hair out there to me...

Egyptian wave is my favorite..

foxybronx

Thanks Dshy!

You guys are very knowledgeable! I am going to browse the hair websites Dshy gave me to pick a brand of hair.

Another question,

Last time I had a sew-in I had it braided in a beehive and I lost A LOT of hair and had breakage at the crown part of my hair (where they sewed it to close it). Should I get my hair braided horizontally or like cornrows to avoid that? How will i cover the tracks if i do that?
Or should i get a closure (the scalp looking thing) sewn in?

foxybronx

Here is my regime so far (with the help of you guys)
Once I have the weave……….

Keep in for 4 weeks-6 weeks TOPS

Use curl activator and WGO oil

Wash 1x a week using the hair ladies method of washing.

Get good weave hair, use synethethic hair to cornrow my hair with under the braids…

Thanks again Ladies /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Im also planning to do a weave, just getting my money together cos Im too scared to do it myself, my sister is pregnant so she may not be in the mood..anyways I think Im going to either use bohyme or get hair from indianhairs.com

DangerouslyShy

[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
Thanks Dshy!

You guys are very knowledgeable! I am going to browse the hair websites Dshy gave me to pick a brand of hair.

Another question,

Last time I had a sew-in I had it braided in a beehive and I lost A LOT of hair and had breakage at the crown part of my hair (where they sewed it to close it). Should I get my hair braided horizontally or like cornrows to avoid that? How will i cover the tracks if i do that?
Or should i get a closure (the scalp looking thing) sewn in?

[/ QUOTE ]your welcome mija...

personally I dont like the beehive braid pattern i perfer horizontally or vertically braiding your hair or even horizontal in the back of your head than a u shape from ear to ear and all the way up...

Most of the times i braid vertically i braid faster and tighter and smaller that way....

to stop that breakage have your stylist use synthetic braiding hair to cornrow your hair this will take away pulling and stress on your hair....make sure to moisturize your braids with a liquid leave in....

i never tried scurl but i think i will....be careful when taking your hair out be very gentle....

good luck are you doing it yourself?

TigerLily

I don't like the beehive pattern, either.

Are you going to leave a bit of hair out to cover the wefts in the front for blending or are you going to do a full head weave with no hair left out?

yvette

Yes, activator! It is the secret really to gaining length and thickness and keeping your hair moisturized. You have to remember most activators contain vitamin B , which is good for your hair. I made a mistake once of buying one of those braid sprays once and it was a waste of my money. I learned my lesson to stick with what works for me.

Also, I did lightly oil my hair as well as use activator. I just made sure not to saturate my hair too much with activator. Also, when I would go to get my hair washed, I would have my stylist oil my hair after every wash.

To be clear, I used human hair. I am not going to spend 125.00 getting sewn in hair and not being able to style that hair or wash it. I believe in getting my monies worth. Also, my stylist was excellent at braiding and styling so my weave was gorgeous, if I say so my self. The only problem is that it was very costly between buying GOOD hair and getting it sewn in. But I must say, that I can't argue with the results.

G

Does anyone know a person who does good sew in weaves in Atlanta?

cutebajangirl

I like the beehive I think after a certain length it is all you can do. Please keep in mind that it depends on who is braiding, if they make decent parts you shouldn't get too much tangling.
Yvette- What type of hair do you use? When I said earlier use good hair I meant because I have no (absolutely none) styling capabilities, I have to use hair that won't act up at all. Also since the weaves are pricey enough I'd prefer to not have to pay weekly for styling.

foxybronx

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
I don't like the beehive pattern, either.

Are you going to leave a bit of hair out to cover the wefts in the front for blending or are you going to do a full head weave with no hair left out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i hate the beehive..i think it looks unnatural and it caused me breakage. But I will also get breakage trying to flat iron my hair to match the weave, so I might have to use the beehive pattern after all.

cece22

One more tip I saw on another forum that I am going to incorporate into my weave regimen. To stay away from the beauty supply store thread it is cotton and will can your hair I am speaking from experience my hair has been literally cut in some places. I am not sure if keeping my braids mousturized everyday would have prevented this. Now I spray every day with braid spray and leave in. I have invested in some Nylon coated upholestry thread off ebay I didn't get it yet but as soon as it comes I will be taking my current sew in out and re-sewing after a 2-week resting period.