How often do YOU trim/ Dust?

Lebiya

About 2 months ago, I had about 2 inches taken off, I just got a touch-up (texlaxer) 2 days ago, but my ends look and feel fine, I dont know if I should trim or not.

If you wear you hair in bun daily, and take care of your ends, how often do you Trim? Do you Always trim after a relaxer/texlax?

againstallodds

I wear my hair in a bun daily. I dust my ends every time I touch up, so roughly every 10-12 weeks. I haven't had a cut/trim since December 2010 because dusting has helped keep my ends clean. If your ends are fine, I wouldn't trim.

HTH

GoodMernin

I'm natural and I try to dust every 1 and 1/2 - 2 months.

I also dust while in twists. It makes the process quicker and easier.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Honestly almost never. Maybe every 6 months.

Sent from Topnotch1010's Samsung Galaxy Tablet using LHCF

MeowMix

I'm following Nonie's advice and am dusting on the regular. Believe me my dust are dust. I'm convinced that I've lost at least 3 inches by trim/cutting.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
topnotch1010
IS THAT YOUR HAIR COLOR OR ARE YOU WEARING A WIG IN YOUR SIGGY? Because OMMMmmmGGGgggEEEEeee it looks sooooo yummy!!!!

Oh and I'm in wigs all day every day and I trim every 6 to 8 months. *shrugs*

Nubenap22

Which shears are y'all using? I need to invest in a pair and trim more often.

Dont mean to jack ya post OP, but I think...scratch that I'm pretty sure thats one of the reasons why I've gotten splits more. But then I do get it every 6 months....I know dont stone me!! I'ma do better!

Nonie

Which shears are y'all using? I need to invest in a pair and trim more often.

Dont mean to jack ya post OP, but I think...scratch that I'm pretty sure thats one of the reasons why I've gotten splits more. But then I do get it every 6 months....I know dont stone me!! I'ma do better!

Nubenap22 I just buy any hair trimming scissors I can find. I'm cheap so while the more expensive ones might last longer, I just figure that as long as they are sharp when I get them, they'll serve me well for a while and I can replace them later. When I didn't have hair trimming scissor, I used shears for cutting material coz I know they are very sharp. I remember my mom never letting me use her sewing shears for anything else but material and they stayed sharp...so since I don't use mine much... :look:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i try to trim about every 8-12 weeks. i know that's often for some, but my ends get wrecked otherwise. and it probably does affect how fast i retain but meh that's okay, I'd rather have my super purty ends.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I'm going to try to trim every 3 or 4 months, so that would make me due for a trim in a few weeks. Nonie's got me thinking about trimming more frequently though lol I think it would give me more peace of mind if I did trim more frequently. I hate worrying about my ends.

Nonie

whiteoleander91 "peace of mind" that's exactly what early dusting gives me. I don't know if you've noticed but I am usually so giddy on dusting day and that's usually when I actually feel excited to share about my hair in the the random thoughts thread. In 2008-2009 when I wasn't keeping a tight schedule, I'd panic coz I'd wonder how long it'd been since I dusted and just snip a tiny amount from the ends of my twists. The peace I'd feel afterward was unbelievable. So yes, "peace of mind" is definitely something I get from this. I just couldn't put it in words, so thanks! :grin:

BlueNile

I just made a deal with myself tonight that I am not going to trim for a long long time and see what happens.

Bublin

I just bumped another trimming thread before i noticed this one.

I going to keep a note on my calender when i'm next due to trim as i too want that peace of mind.
I leave it far too long inbetween trims and get frustrated with my hair when 'nothing seems to stop tangles and breakage'. It's simply because my hair needs a trim.

I'm considering dusting once a month because my hair is so very fine and has a corkscrew type curl that tangles and breaks so easily. I think i would benefit from this and actually retain much more length.
Here is a pic of my half dried hair

@Nonie what do you think of dusting once a month on my hair type?

candy626

I learned this year that regular dusting needs be a definite part of my regimen. I've been doing it once a month, and will probably do it again within the next three days because I can tell that it's time. Earlier this year, I went 5 months without a trim and had to cut 2.5 inches to get my hair back in better shape. Luckily my hair has grown back.

However what I've also noticed though, is that my hair naturally grows unevenly and takes a while to thicken up when it gets past BSB. So rather then focus on trimming it to be even, I soley focusing on dusting to remove split ends. Once it gets a little past my goal, I may trim it all to be even so that it looks thicker, but until then I am sticking with monthly dusting to remove split ends.

Nonie

Bublin, how about doing it every 6 weeks instead? That way a 1/4 inch trim would leave you with at least a 1/2 inch retention. And if your hair is average growing and you are practicing good haircare habits (see the Wanakee thread) you should have 4 inches+ inrease in length a year. That is a whole foot in 3 years.

If I have fine hair, don't moisturize, don't seal my ends, don't PS and I am approaching BSB or might be at it when I was under 3 inches in 2007, all because of regular dusting and low mani, then imagine how much good getting rid of tear notches before they have a chance to tear at your strands will do in keeping them strong. Since you can sense when your ends are in bad shape, try the 6 week schedule and see if your ends do fine with this. I really think they will. And if not, then you can try one month. But just know that the shorter the time between dustings, the smaller the amount you will need to cut. So if you do decide it will be 4 weeks instead of 6, then do not cut a lot. Remember you only get 1/2 an inch of growth in 4 weeks so you don't want to be cutting off that growth.

candy626, you have the right idea. It is not about getting a blunt cut but simply removing the tear notches that will appear on all the ends before they wreck havoc on your strands. You do it early, they are still so tiny that all you need is a tiny trim and you are left with nice strong strands that have a much better chance of lasting throug styling trauma and just the abuse the elements unleash on our hair. :yep:

Last edited:

Nonie

Nonie every 6 weeks sounds like a good compromise.

Bublin Yay! Please look at a ruler so you are not just guessing blindly what constitutes a 1/4 of an inch. 0.5 cm would be another good approximation. If you snip off that amount at 6 weeks, it'll feel like nothing but what peace of mind you will have!