How often can you henna

evie

Started hennering my hair about two weeks ago and really like the way it makes my hair feel. My hair is very thin and i was wondering if i could henna my hair more than once a week to greatly improve its strength and condition.
I have been using henna bought from a health food shop which sells it loose so you can buy as much or as little as you like.

douglala

I am currently doing my henna treatments once a week but I have done it within a 5 day period before with no ill effects.

Neroli

I do my once a week too and love it. Wish I had the time to do it more often! Dang, I wish the health food stores around HERE sold bulk henna. It would at least be a cheaper, quicker alternative to ordering online when the funds are low . . .

Is your's body art quality?

aprilj

Started hennering my hair about two weeks ago and really like the way it makes my hair feel. My hair is very thin and i was wondering if i could henna my hair more than once a week to greatly improve its strength and condition.
I have been using henna bought from a health food shop which sells it loose so you can buy as much or as little as you like.[/quote]

Hi Ladies -

I want to start using Henna on my hair but can you tell me what other ingredients do I mix it with and how long do I leave it on my hair? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
aprilj

Neroli

All you REALLY need is:
-henna powder 100% pure art quality (BAQ)
-warm water + something mildly acidic (ACV, lemon juice, yogurt, etc).

Mix the above to form a warm pudding like paste and let sit at least 10 hours. Apply to hair, cover with plastic cap and leave on from 1 to 3 hours or more. Rinse thoroughtly and follow with moisturizing condish.

There are much more complex "recipes" but the above is all you really need to receive the coloring and conditioning benefits. Check out these other threads for LOTS of ideas:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=87256 (really long, but totally worth it for the wealth of information . . . )

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=98326&highlight=Henna+Recipes

angellazette

Thanks Neroli. Alot of those recipes are complex!!! I want to see what type of coloring I get from the henna alone then maybe try adding the indigo. I just placed my order with FNWL for their henna and amla powder. I think I have some ACV around somewhere but that can be easily picked up at a health food store.

sareca

The short answer is... as often as you want. The color from henna takes 3 days to oxidize and become your final color. It'll look slightly different than it did the first day you henna'd. If you're henna'g for color then I'd wait and see if that's the color you wanted. If you're doing it for conditioning then do it as often as you like.

Myself and Vixxen are working on a FAQ. It's basically a combo of all the henna threads. It's still a work in progress although it is already huge. We won't be finished until next week, but I thought I'd give anybody planning to henna in the near future a sneak peek.
http://journals.fotki.com/Serica

Last edited:

Neroli

angellazette said:
Thanks Neroli. Alot of those recipes are complex!!! I want to see what type of coloring I get from the henna alone then maybe try adding the indigo. I just placed my order with FNWL for their henna and amla powder. I think I have some ACV around somewhere but that can be easily picked up at a health food store.

Yeah, that's how I felt when I first hennaed -- I wanted to see how the thing worked by itself first, before I started adding anything. I'm so glad I did because I LOVE the simple recipe (henna powder + enough ACV and warm water to form paste) That's it. After I rinse out the henna is when I go nuts adding a bunch of stuff to my condish (honey, oils, etc.).

Happy Henna-ing!

aprilj

Thanx everyone - I thought that the process would have been much more complex. I'll only be doing it for conditioning. I'll let you guys know how it all turned out.

aprilj

Neroli

sareca said:
The short answer is... as often as you want. The color from henna takes 3 days to oxidize and become your final color. It'll look slightly different than it did the first day you henna'd. If you're henna'g for color then I'd wait and see if that's the color you wanted. If you're doing it for conditioning then do it as often as you like.

Myself and Vixxen are working on a FAQ. It's basically a combo of all the henna threads. It's still a work in progress although it is already huge. We won't be finished until next week, but I thought I'd give anybody planning to henna in the near future a sneak peek.

Wow, that's an EXCELLENT start. Thanks to you and Vixxen for your hard work! Can't wait for the "launch date" . . .

angellazette

Neroli said:
Yeah, that's how I felt when I first hennaed -- I wanted to see how the thing worked by itself first, before I started adding anything. I'm so glad I did because I LOVE the simple recipe (henna powder + enough ACV and warm water to form paste) That's it. After I rinse out the henna is when I go nuts adding a bunch of stuff to my condish (honey, oils, etc.).

Happy Henna-ing!

I wonder if there's really a difference between adding the goodies (oils, amla) to the henna itself or afterwards...

Neroli

angellazette said:
I wonder if there's really a difference between adding the goodies (oils, amla) to the henna itself or afterwards...

I just don't know 'cause my hair is so soft and stong with my simple recipe that I just haven't felt a need to add stuff to my henna mixes. But others may weigh in with their experiences. . .

sareca

Neroli said:
I just don't know 'cause my hair is so soft and stong with my simple recipe that I just haven't felt a need to add stuff to my henna mixes. But others may weigh in with their experiences. . .

Ditto. I mixes have henna and ACV. I do amla rinses, but don't do them on henna days. I can vouch for amla rinses. Amla is a great alternative to cassia IMO.

evie

sareca said:

Brilliant, i'm going to aim for hennaring 3 times a week for a whole month and see what the result will be.

My regime will be - henna on Tuesday and Friday
- henna, amla and brahmi on Sunday

evie

angellazette said:

I used the Amla and Brahmi well before i started using the henna and was pleased with the results. i have started useing them with henna because i assume that they can only enhance their results i recieve in conditioning and strength. i will tries this out for a month and see.

sareca

evie said:
Brilliant, i'm going to aim for hennaring 3 times a week for a whole month and see what the result will be.

My regime will be - henna on Tuesday and Friday
- henna, amla and brahmi on Sunday

Girl, you're gonna blind people with that henna shine.

sareca said:

Wow Sareca!!! That FAQ post is wonderful! Thank you and Vixxen for taking the time out to make it. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I can't wait until it's done! :yep: