Henna Gurus - How often can you Henna

LJewel

I have extremely thin gray hair in the crown of my head - I mean I almost have to do a comb over to avoid showing my scalp:sad:. But when I Henna and then Indigo.....WOW..:blush:...I have normal...almost thick hair....I think it even makes me look skinny :lachen:...well maybe not. I usually Henna every three weeks because the gray grows in so quickly, but I would like to do it every two weeks. I use henna as my only form of protein treatment and then only use DC and leave in con that are for moisture only to prevent over drying. Henna Gurus I need your advice.

Moroni

Hey, LJ! I by no means consider myself a "guru", but I do henna treatments weekly. I use coconut milk instead of water, amla and shikakai powders, and creamed avocado. I will continue to do this as long as there is no problem. HTH

It~Can~Grow

Is this a form of conditioner, or a way to color the hair without the harsh chemical affects of otc products?

LJewel

Is this a form of conditioner, or a way to color the hair without the harsh chemical affects of otc products?

I use Henna to color my gray hair. I do not use the harsh chemicals dyes on my thin hair anymore. The added bonus is that henna makes my hair stronger and appear thicker. The down side is that henna can be drying because it is a protien treatment so I do not use protein conditioners anymore.

LJewel

Thanks ladies for your feedback.
I just finished reading some of the searches for Henna and some people use it weekly. They just watch their moisture levels closely.

I am going to start to henna my hair at least every other week.
I will:
  • Cut out the protein conditioners that I use
  • Only use moisturizing leave in and deep conditioners
  • Do a oil rinse after each henna treatment
I will let everyone know if something drastic happens but I feel confident that it will be ok to use it more often.