How much heat protector dilemna!!

Im having something of a dilemna over how much heat protector to use in my hair when flat ironing and Id reallllly appreciate some of your opinions on this issue.. IN the past Id use Fantasia IC spray heat protector , full of cones and Id use a TON of it separately spraying each section of hair with it,, Then I narrowed it down and only used a little sprayed all over,,,a while b4 ironing,, this still left me with weighed down hair.... Now, I use a quarter and a nickel sized amount of CHI silk infusion in my hair b4 ironing all over,, is this sufficicient becuz it does NOT weigh my hair down at ALL! And my belief was that in order to protect the hair, the hair needed to be weighed down and have something"noticeable" in it. I have to say Im much happier with the silk infusion,, my hair has body, bounce and looks thick straight which I NEVER had b4, my hair was always flat and stick straight and I had to fight to get body in it,,, Id like to know do u think Im using enough and what are you guys opinions on what is "enough" and too much heat protectant HELP!!:eek:

camellia

Girl, I wish I knew! I always use too much products and end up with weighed down hair.:look:

Your hair looks amazing though, so you must be doing something right!

Your hair looks amazing!! weighed down or not! but perhaps a little overuse of hair products helps protect the hair against the heat from appliances, i dunno, i guess its better to be safe than sorry..

camellia

Ravenhairbellydancer said:
perhaps a little overuse of hair products helps protect the hair against the heat from appliances, i dunno, i guess its better to be safe than sorry..

See, this is what I always thought. But I have never gotten my hair to look like yours when flat ironing it. I lose patience and rush through about halfway so my hair doesn't get that silky "swing" that I see in your Fotki.

Some ladies on here are MASTERS with the flat iron or pressing comb. Check out Irresistible's Fotki. She uses an old fashioned pressing comb and gets great results.

I know what you mean, I need to go thru it OVER and OVER with the iron to get that swing and im a maniac about my hair so i do it till it gets right lol,, im scared of hot tongs and pressing combs though, I went to my moms hairdresser on evening and she did my hair with tongs and I found BLONDE pieces of singed hairs on my head and my hair smelled all burnt , im guessing she had it overheated lol

MizaniMami

I know what yall are saying. I used to over do it too. Now I use Nexxus Heat Protexx as my heat protection spray, right before I get under the dryer to rollerset (about 3-5 sprays) and Aveda Brilliant serum while I am flat ironing.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I need to know the answer to this question too. I never know how much is enough and I always end up using too much and get weighted down hair. The last time I flat ironed my hair came out great because I decided not to use as much as normal and it was silky but had a lot of body and swing. When I use too much product and flat iron it makes my hair looks thin. I use Beyond the Zone and Fantasia IC serum. I like to make sure my ends are coated good though.

LovelyLionessa

Pokahontas said:
I need to know the answer to this question too. I never know how much is enough and I always end up using too much and get weighted down hair. The last time I flat ironed my hair came out great because I decided not to use as much as normal and it was silky but had a lot of body and swing. When I use too much product and flat iron it makes my hair looks thin. I use Beyond the Zone and Fantasia IC serum. I like to make sure my ends are coated good though.

I also worry about way too much product on my hair. After my last wash, I put lots of my Fantasia pink heat protecting serum on and I was worried about my hair being too coated. Then I also spritz my dry hair with the Beyond the Zone spray (which I love BTW) just as final coat of protection. As much as I would love to try no-pooing or a sulfate free shampoo regimen, my dependance on silicone just won't let me. :ohwell:

wadadligyal

Bumping for more responses!!!!!
I would like to know also are we supposed to use a dime sized amount or quarter size or more!!!!!!

damnit, who has the answer to this!!!!! LOL:look:, this has been bugging me for some time now becuz for example today after using minimal heat protector during my last flat ironing two days ago I had the swingiest, bounciest flying in my face , THICK hair that stays straight too, but when i use extra heat protector I end up with flat, rather greasy looking , stringy hair which I sometimes like but i also like my hair to look thick, I just dont want to damage my hair, anyone out there use a small amount of heat protector with flat ironing and still have long healthy hair? also when i use alot of heat protector i wonder if im damaging my hair by "cooking" it,, I have read that ironing "dirty" hair is bad for it and it would be be dirty even if its freshly washed but has excessive product,, Im stumped HELP:eek::confused:

preciousfa02

Bumping as well...but imo I think heat protectant serums may be the issue. I recently started using beyond the zone heat protectant spray & noticed a difference in body & movement. I used to use chi si with gvp chi iron guard but now I just use a little bit of sallys argan oil w/the beyond the zone spray & I get the swang

Natural Glow

Bumping as well...but imo I think heat protectant serums may be the issue. I recently started using beyond the zone heat protectant spray & noticed a difference in body & movement. I used to use chi si with gvp chi iron guard but now I just use a little bit of sallys argan oil w/the beyond the zone spray & I get the swang
This is totally OT but I swear everytime I see you post, I'm like "her hair looks just like mine":lachen::lachen:I think we might be hair twins

Anyway, I use Beyond the Zone Spray and I love it. I use the Generic Chi Silk Infusion when rollersetting then the Fantasia IC to flat iron but I may have to buy a big bottle of the Argon Oil.

preciousfa02

:grin: natural glow...girl I'm off to stalk your fotki...it good to know I have a hair twin. When it comes to hair typing & what not I'm lost in the source....sorry..ot