• 4-5 oz

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • 5-6 oz

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • 6-8 oz

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • 8-10 oz

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Girl the whole bottle! (more than 10 oz)

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EllePixie

DANG Y'ALL! I'm bsl and I use 1, 2 oz max on lightly damp hair.

On natural hair?!?!?! Excuse my ?!?!!?!? lol!

I will say, for those who don't use much, I used to use a LOT less conditioner when I had a relaxer...if I tried to use a dime size amount now that would literally condition the top layer of my hair and that is it!!

iri9109

idk how much i use in ounces...but i OD...like 3+ handfuls lol...im not stingy with my DCs at all...plus i add honey and oils too...my hair is in between neck length and shoulder length

rosalindb

I'm natural and almost APL

When I pre-poo, I use a concoction of GBP, honey and castor oil and estimate that I use 4oz of this mix.

After I shampoo, I let my hair partially dry and use about 3oz of conditioner

hannan

On natural hair?!?!?! Excuse my ?!?!!?!? lol!

I will say, for those who don't use much, I used to use a LOT less conditioner when I had a relaxer...if I tried to use a dime size amount now that would literally condition the top layer of my hair and that is it!!

:lol: Yup, all natural but my hair is fine and thin. Perhaps that's it.

eta: I also mix some oils in, too.

Last edited:

EllePixie

Yup, all natural but my hair is fine and thin. Perhaps that's it. :scratchch

Giiirl, I am sitting here with my mouth wide open, lol!!! Like I am amazed...

But you're right, it might be your strands/density. My hair is thick and med/coarse, and low porosity so it takes more to absorb. Interesting.

hannan

Giiirl, I am sitting here with my mouth wide open, lol!!! Like I am amazed...

But you're right, it might be your strands/density. My hair is thick and med/coarse, and low porosity so it takes more to absorb. Interesting.

Yes, gurl BELIEVE IT! :lachen:

I know if I put in 4 oz of dc my hair would be weighed the heck down! I got done with sitrinillah (16 oz) after 6 uses and it didn't feel any more conditioned than if I had used the amount I normally would have. Plus side is I guess I save a lot more money than yall thick haired lovelies!

Last edited:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
I am relaxed and I switch back and forth between DCing on dry hair or after shampooing (depending on my mood or schedule). I voted 6-8 oz. I probably use closer to 6 oz. which I apply like a relaxer. I am grazing APL.

Nonie

Wow, I apply conditioner like one does relaxer and my hair is about APL natural 4B, but while I don't measure out conditioner but just apply till hair is covered, I don't think I use a lot. My hair is well coated and I wash my hair twice a week using the same amount whether I'm conditioning regular or DCing. I can't believe some of you use 8 oz! Isn't that a whole bottle of conditioner? :giggle: I was just looked at a jar of cream I have that says it's 1 oz and I think I use about that or maybe that and a half. I'll actually try to measure out next time I condition--if I remember--and let you know.

PJaye

I estimate it to be approximately 2oz because I can get four uses out of an 8oz bottle of Giovanni.

HennaRo

I usually use about 2-3oz on wet hair, my hair is a little over sl. Dry hair is probably a bit more maybe 4-5oz. Now if I choose to dc while my hair is in braids or twists I'll use less than 2-3oz.

Barbara

Princess
If it's in a tub, I use about three handfuls.

My stylist saturates my hair, so I don't know how much he uses--since I have two I bring into the salon for him to choose from.

Janet'

I'm natural and am BSL and I've never measured it, but I'm guessing 3-4 ounces because like other posters, I apply it like a relaxer.

Vonnieluvs08

Natural, APL, with thick strands. I use 4-6oz of DC on wet hair every 7 days or so. Cowash I'l use 2-4oz since I use it to detangle with. I'm ultra heavy handed and want every strand saturated. Depending on how much time I'll do the relaxer method or just scoop it out and do big parts and apply.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I honestly don't see how ya'll are using so LITTLE! lol I mixed two conditioners in a bowl that's how I know exactly how much I used. First I mixed 8 tablespoons (4 of each conditioner) and I thought it would last for my entire head but it only did half my head. Then I mixed another 8 tablespoons. After I was finished, I had to mix another tablespoon to finish. And my hair was not white when I finished like I used way too much and after I was finished and took off my shower cap, everything had absorbed and my hair just looked wet. I'm astonished ya'll can get away with 2 ounces. lol Is this volume or mass? lol

Janet'

I honestly don't see how ya'll are using so LITTLE! lol I mixed two conditioners in a bowl that's how I know exactly how much I used. First I mixed 8 tablespoons (4 of each conditioner) and I thought it would last for my entire head but it only did half my head. Then I mixed another 8 tablespoons. After I was finished, I had to mix another tablespoon to finish. And my hair was not white when I finished like I used way too much and after I was finished and took off my shower cap, everything had absorbed and my hair just looked wet. I'm astonished ya'll can get away with 2 ounces. lol Is this volume or mass? lol

Now, LaFemme- you know you have WL, thick hair...one day, hopefully, I'll be using a whole bottle of conditioner, too, lol!!!:lol::lol:

Sianna

My short, NL natural hair would die laughing at anything less than three to four good handfuls of conditioner! I guesstimated it to be about 4-5oz per DC, and I DC once a week.

Someone asked earlier "Why so much?" Well, I can only answer for myself. My strands are about medium thickness, but my hair is DENSE. It's also not very porous so I feel like I need to use more so that my hair can absorb it. Though probably the opposite is true now that I think of it... :scratchch

Anyway, if I used 2oz or so on dry hair, most of my hair would still be dry! But to be fair, I probably don't need to DRENCH my hair in conditioner the way I always tend to do. Maybe I'll try to scale it back a little...

Maybe...

Probably not very much though! :lol:

Nonie

Y'all got me so curious I couldn't wait so I decided to DC today. I DC on dry when I use GPB so I poured out what I estimated to be one ounce (judging from the contents of a jar that has 1 ounce when new). Just as a further check, I got a calibrated cup and poured in 4 oz of water:

This is how my hair looks after I've applied GPB relaxer style to dampen my hair and coat it thoroughly. I didn't even need all that I poured out:

I usually apply enough till my hair feels damp and it seems an ounce or so is all I need for my whole head. Because I'm in twists, I find I have to use a bit more so I can squeeze it into the twists. If my hair were loose, I'd be able to apply to sections that were a few hairs thick and so could probably be more economical due to being more efficient. Still one ounce seems sufficient for DCing on dry. I imagine when my hair is wet, I probably use less. Of course when my hair is longer, I'll probably need more. I used what was left over on my ends rather than throw it away but it felt so wasteful coz it was more than was needed. I didn't want to put it back in the bottle coz it's no longer "fresh". :lol:

ETA: I do have fine strands so I guess that does make a difference.

I decided to add a photo of what my hair looks like once shampooed and then conditioned regular and ACV rinsed then left to drip dry, which is basically what I do after a GPB DC, so you can see what it looks like w/o product on it:

E(again)TA: Below is a photo of the bases of the cups I was using to help me estimate the amount of GPB I use to dry DC. The one on the left is the one that had GPB and the one on the right is the one that had the 4 oz of water. That would explain why the height of the 4 oz of water wasn't that much greater than that of the GPB: the water was spread out more.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Great thread! I'm sitting under my dryer doing a protein dc right now! :grin:

I am relaxed and APL. I think I use about 5-6 ounces of deep conditioner each time because I want to really soak my hair in it. I tried to use less, and my hair wasn't as soft. I do my protein dc's on dry hair and my moisturizing dc's on wet, freshly shampooed hair.

I remember when I first started my HHJ and stumbled on this Hairlicious video:

YouTube - Hairlicious Inc: How to Apply a Deep Conditioner to Your Hair

I'd never thought to apply my dc's like a relaxer before watching that. Now I do it every time.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
I use roughly a color bowl 3/4 full not sure how many oz it is. I saturate my hair after squeezing out excess moisture . My hair drinks it up.
My hair type is 3b/c coarse/med/fine, dense and past mbl but not wl. I am 21 mos post relaxer

maxineshaw

I use about 2 oz. of product. The only form of DCing I do now is leaving EVOO in my hair the night before I wash my hair.

The reason why I do this is because I use entirely too much conditioner after I shampoo my hair. I prefer to use a conditioner like Tresemme because it's so cheap per ounce, and it does a good job.

I'm natural, uneven shoulder length.

constance

I use about 5-5.5oz of AOHSR each time I dc (2x a month) so a bottle lasts a little over a month. I'm natural and almost WL. My hair is not thick but it has put me on notice re: conditioner--no skimping or it will be unmanageable.

Vashti

I DC on wet hair, squeezed out hair and I use 3/4 - 1 cup of deep conditioner. Anything less is a joke for my hair.

mstk

I DC on damp hair that has been squeezed in a towel. I mix (in a 1/4 cup measure), a treatment, MnT detangling conditioner, and hemp seed oil. I was starting to wonder if I was using too much conditioner, but when I rinse it out (usually after heat), it's all absorbed and my hair no longer feels slippery.

isioma85

I don't see how you guys are managing to use such little product!

I use at least 10 oz each time I DC. That 10 is a combination of conditioner and oils, but if I used anything else my hair would NOT get all the conditioning I need from root to tip :nono: And I'm just closing in on APL from SL.

Paris Belle

I chose 4-5 ounces. I'm just estimating. I tend to be very heavy handed. I like the feeling of my hair being moisturized and fully coated.

MissHoney26

I'm heavy handed so I use about 3 good scoops. On dry hair I use more because my new growth and hair is thicker than it is when wet. I make sure I get it on every strand and apply extra on the ends and weaker areas.

tkj25

i don't know, lol, but it's a lot. i voted the whole dang bottle, lol ... when i dc, i mix a big batch together, slather it on, covering from root to tip, & let it marinate:) rinse, & go about my routine.

Attachments

• homemadeconditioner1sm.jpg
    homemadeconditioner1sm.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 36