How long do you/your stylist leave your relaxer on??

Divine Inspiration

I know we've got some texturized ladies & some not bone straight ladies on the board so I'm wondering how long everyone is smoothing the relaxer before rinsing.

Last time I got a relaxer, I told her that I didn't want it bone straight. However, when she rinsed, my hair was the STRAIGHTEST & limpest I had ever seen it...so I guess I should have given her a specific number of minutes or made her rinse after she finished my whole head since she wasn't bright enough to figure it out.

Anyhoo, how many minutes do you leave your relaxer on and what are your results? (Please include what brand of relaxer you use & your hair type :look:.)

BAILEYSCREAM

Divine Inspiration said:
I know we've got some texturized ladies & some not bone straight ladies on the board so I'm wondering how long everyone is smoothing the relaxer before rinsing.

Last time I got a relaxer, I told her that I didn't want it bone straight. However, when she rinsed, my hair was the STRAIGHTEST & limpest I had ever seen it...so I guess I should have given her a specific number of minutes or made her rinse after she finished my whole head since she wasn't bright enough to figure it out.

Anyhoo, how many minutes do you leave your relaxer on and what are your results? (Please include what brand of relaxer you use & your hair type :look:.)

Hi Divine Inspiration,

I texturize as I don't like the bone straight look for myself personally, and I leave mine on for about 15-20 minutes starting from the back, I do it myself. I just apply the Vitale life and body relaxer (I do not comb it through), the back is coarsest so I start there. I leave the relaxer on the front for about 5-7 minutes max, unless it will come out straight. I'm a 3c/4a with medium textured hair.....Hope this helps.

ETA: I usually have about 2 inches of growth when I get my hair texturized so the hair is wild:lol:.....I'm due now, I haven't texturized since end of August.

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I was using TCB bone straight, I leave it on for about 15-20 min including smoothing, once I'm done smoothing i rinse it out immediately because my time is normally about up, and I have bone straight hair, just like I like it. ;) But as of tonight I will be changing relaxers, I will be trying Afraca's Best Olive oil relaxer, hopeful I will like it if not I will be trying Vitale life and Body.

caligirl

I used to get Motions Regular. My stylist left in on for 10 minutes max with no smoothing. My hair always had lots of body after a roller set/wrap.

SUPER SWEET

I get a dudley mild and total application time less is than 10 mins and my roots are bone straight for a week...:ohwell: I have a deep wave pattern.

benosayi

My stylist use to tell me to let her know when it was burning so she would know it is ready, I wouldn't recommend that.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I hope that stylist is long gone and has been replaced w/a new one,lol, cause that can cause overprocessing.
benosayi said:
My stylist use to tell me to let her know when it was burning so she would know it is ready, I wouldn't recommend that.

Divine Inspiration

benosayi said:

Girl yes...I've had stylists like that too...that is a MESS!
I don't play that...I'm like, Let's go to the bowl. She's like, Is it burnin? I say, Uh no, I'm ready to rinse. Sometimes they'll argue you down that it needs to stay longer :mad: ...that's why I'm trying to get a general idea of a specific number of minutes I wanna leave it so I can tell the new stylist on the phone w/o havin to argue once I get there and it's already on my head. :)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Divine Inspiration said:
Girl yes...I've had stylists like that too...that is a MESS!
I don't play that...I'm like, Let's go to the bowl. She's like, Is it burnin? I say, Uh no, I'm ready to rinse. Sometimes they'll argue you down that it needs to stay longer :mad: ...that's why I'm trying to get a general idea of a specific number of minutes I wanna leave it so I can tell the new stylist on the phone w/o havin to argue once I get there and it's already on my head. :)
sometimes it depends on the hair and the relaxer your using when it comes to timming, what you can do is test a small area in the place where your hair is more resistant (normally the crown but maybe different for you) and watch the clock until it is finished processing to what you desire, whether texturized or bone straight, you can wait about 10-15 min, when checking to see if it's ready you take the back of a comb or the end of the application brush and just wipe some of the relaxer of to see if the curl pattern has been broken down. I would start checking at 10 min and then again 2 min after if it needs more time. At least you will know how long it takes to process your hair w/that particular relaxer your using. HTH

benosayi

They argue you down or say if it don't come out right it's not my fault. And yes that stylist is gone. She could cut hair but had no clue how to take care of hair.

amy1234

my hair comes out texturized and I use Affirm normal lye. Total processing time: 18-20min (it will start to irritate my scalp if I leave it only any longer) ;) This is including smoothing . I think affirm is great for texturizing. My hair seems straight after I have rinsed out the relaxer, but after a couple of weeks/washes, it kinks up a bit. thats the way I like it :yep:

scoobygirl

My regular stylist takes it off 5 minutes after applying it to the entire head. So total time (~13-15 min) my backup stylist washes it off immediately so total time on my head is ~10 min.

WesternEyes

i use soft and beautiful regular and takes me about 18-20 min. Never leaves my hair bone straight, instead more texturized.

BAILEYSCREAM

*Dee* said:
my hair comes out texturized and I use Affirm normal lye. Total processing time: 18-20min (it will start to irritate my scalp if I leave it only any longer) ;) This is including smoothing . I think affirm is great for texturizing. My hair seems straight after I have rinsed out the relaxer, but after a couple of weeks/washes, it kinks up a bit. thats the way I like it :yep:

Yes, I get this same thing with the Vitale, and that's how I like it too, except I don't smooth or comb through mine.:)

Mizani_Mrs

I use Mizani regular lye and my stylist uses a timer and sets it for 15mins max. most of the time, he is rinsing at 12mins. At 12mins, my roots are 100%straight, no curls whatsoever. body and shine is like WHOA. U just have to find a stylist who is serious enough to put the relaxer in fast and not take their slow time....

oh and also he starts like in the top back of my hair (instead of nape). like when the hair is parted in 4 sections...he starts at the top of the 1st back section, and then the 2nd back section is next, then the front 2 sections....i hope this will help me in retaining length in the back kitchen....

cocowhite

Well I used to use PCJ and Juse for Me childrens perm and then I switch to AtOne Organic perm for kids and then switched to Vitale life and body. The previous three mention were no-lye perms for fine to medium texture hair. The last perm mentioned was has lye, but my relaxing time has not changed. I leave on from 15-18 minutes, which also includes applying and smoothing and I have a timer that goes off after 5 minutes.

Whisper

I apply, smooth lightly, and rinse after 10 minutes frin beginning to end. One section at a time however.

Divine Inspiration

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much ladies! This has really given me some insight on what I want to do in December...
You guys are the best!

Other ladies are welcome to add responses...you can never have too many!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I used the Organics by Africa's Best and I don't like it, :eek: , for one it processes very slow for a regular strength and two it left my newly processed hair looking drier than the rest of my hair, I would recommend this for children or pple who texturize. My hair didn't feel dry but was left underprocessed in my last section, normally after I'm finished smoothing my entire head is ready to be washed out, first time this ever happened to me. :ohwell: I did a corrective relaxer a few hours later w/my last bit of TCB bone straight and I'm :grin: again.

shoelover1972

The time it takes my stylist to apply the relaxer (Designer Touch) starting from the front. Once he finishes applying he rinses me straight away so I would say total approx 10mins.

Jewell

I use a mild relaxer by Optimum Multimineral Lye Relaxer System. By the time I apply it to all the sections and go back and quickly smooth about 15-20 mins has elapsed. I got immediately to rinse because by then my hair is straight. I do my own relaxers, and since I started doing them last summer I have had great results with my hair.

SandySea

My beautician said that your supposed to leave a relaxer in for 19 minutes starting from the time that your first start applying the relaxer. My hair always comes out way too straight and limp, but it hasn't fallen out or broken off.