how long did you wait to relax after giving birth?

H0tPinkButtafly

Im one of those ladies who is doing a pregnancy stretch and I can't wait to get a touch up. My due date is in a few weeks and I was wondering how long I should wait after I have my baby to do the touch up. So how long did u ladies wait after giving birth to relax?

LivingInPeace

I wasn't paying attention to the forum this thread was in and I thought you meant how long did it take for you to relax physically and emotionally after giving birth.

Babysaffy

H0tPinkButtafly said:
^^^

did the perm take and did it burn? because I read that that is why some people wait to get a perm.

It did take well and didn't burn more than usual.

After ten months stretching with both I was desperate to touch up.

OT. I did burn badly when I was relaxed whilst preg with my first (I didn't yet know I was pregnant at the time- that was one of the first 'clues' lol)

Babygrowth

I waited 3 months. Of course I thought I was going natural but that didn't work out. I ended up texlaxed and it did burn in one area. I probably should have used super or let it process a lil longer.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i stretched through the pregnancy and then i waited about a month to touch up. i had soooo much shedding and tangling, i was at the salon half the night. it took 6 or 7 hours to get my hair untangled. i was nursing too so i was in pain from top to bottom. my chest got engorged while i was there. it was such an awful experience, so then i went another 5 months or so. still traumatized i stretched for 10 months after that.

i know plenty of ladies that have no issues. some burn. my experience was so bad...my hair was thin and tangly and shedding. it was not a great time for me to relax.

the hormones are still high right after delivery so you may be sensitive. another thing to consider is that if you post partum shed, the shedding usually starts around 5 months post.

if i had to do it again, i would wait 3 months. that way my hormone levels would be a little less but i would still have some time to get a touch up before i start shedding alot.

then i wouldn't touch up again until after the post partum shedding ends.

H0tPinkButtafly

i stretched through the pregnancy and then i waited about a month to touch up. i had soooo much shedding and tangling, i was at the salon half the night. it took 6 or 7 hours to get my hair untangled. i was nursing too so i was in pain from top to bottom. my chest got engorged while i was there. it was such an awful experience, so then i went another 5 months or so. still traumatized i stretched for 10 months after that.

i know plenty of ladies that have no issues. some burn. my experience was so bad...my hair was thin and tangly and shedding. it was not a great time for me to relax.

the hormones are still high right after delivery so you may be sensitive. another thing to consider is that if you post partum shed, the shedding usually starts around 5 months post.

if i had to do it again, i would wait 3 months. that way my hormone levels would be a little less but i would still have some time to get a touch up before i start shedding alot.

then i wouldn't touch up again until after the post partum shedding ends.

thats what Im afraid of, pp shedding. I didnt have any shedding with my first child tho

Kerryann

When I was relaxed I stretched through the whole pregnancy and relaxed 2-3 months after birth
I never knew about post shedding until I came to this board because it never happened to me

havilland

thats what Im afraid of, pp shedding. I didnt have any shedding with my first child tho

I'm jelly. :yep: even though each child is different, you probably won't shed this time either. My sister didn't. I relaxed her hair about 2-4 weeks after all her kids. She had no issues except the relaxer processed faster, so I had to work fast. If I hadn't been paying attention, she would've burned.

H0tPinkButtafly

I'm jelly. :yep: even though each child is different, you probably won't shed this time either. My sister didn't. I relaxed her hair about 2-4 weeks after all her kids. She had no issues except the relaxer processed faster, so I had to work fast. If I hadn't been paying attention, she would've burned.

Im definitely hoping for no shedding this time. I'm trying to hold out for two weeks after he's born too... Do u think the relaxer processed faster or scalp was more sensitive?

havilland

Im definitely hoping for no shedding this time. I'm trying to hold out for two weeks after he's born too... Do u think the relaxer processed faster or scalp was more sensitive?

in my sister's case, she processed faster. i always did her touch ups and i noticed her hair was getting straighter faster than usual. she likes to keep some of the curl and not be bone straight, so i had to work really fast. as it was the crown (which is where i started first) was a bit straighter than the rest. had i known that was going to happen i would have used the half and half method and did one side at a time.

it turned out ok because i was paying attention and noticed the difference.

do you go to a regular stylist that knows your hair or do you self relax?