How long did it take you to go from SL to APL?

NYDiva

Wow, I think it may be different for petite ladies. The distance between my shoulders and armpits seems waayyy less than 6"

maybe it depends on how the person is built:perplexed

I think you're right about a person's build. I'm 5'6 the distance from the bottom of my neck to SL/CBL is 3 inches and from SL/CBL to APL will be another 4 inches. So I'm hoping to be APL by at least April 2011!:lick:

I was a little above shoulder length and now I'm apl, it took me about 2 years on the dot, which includes setbacks, I would have been closer to BSL but I had a set back.

NikkiQ

:bump: anymore responses or advice? I'm getting close to claiming SL and I need as much as I can get to make it to APL without losing my sanity!

Nonie

NikkiQ, are you asking a specific question because I'm not sure how knowing how long it took different people to get from SL to APL will help you get there? From your last post, that wasn't just a bump, you said you need as much as you can to get there. As much what?

LaFemmeNaturelle

NikkiQ, are you asking a specific question because I'm not sure how knowing how long it took different people to get from SL to APL will help you get there? From your last post, that wasn't just a bump, you said you need as much as you can to get there. As much what?

lol as many people to say 4-6 months! The more people, the more it sounds like the average.....but idk why she trippin wit that speedy growth :p

ETA: I'm gonna stop teasing you Nikki but I have so much faith in your hair that you will get the growth you need to get you to apl soon. As long as you work to retain your length, you will be there, I guarantee it. I'm calling by March at the latest. Just pay attention to your hair. NEVER let your hair get thirsty for moisture and always keep your elasticity in check (protein). You know what to do, just be patient darlin'

Last edited:

GreenD

I hope to make APL by the end of Dec., so that'll be about 9 months and that's just making it. So probably 10-12 months to fully claim it.

It's pure torture that's for sure, and it seems like it takes soooooo long to make APL!! :ohwell:

Beverly Ann Properties

I hope to be APL by the end of this year. I need 3 inches to be full APL. I have been SL for 3 months. I'm counting on 8 months total. I'm wigging it until December to see if I will be APL.

LongCurlz

im 5'8 and it took me 8 months from barely shoulder to full APL

before - Jan 2010.....to my siggy the present

NikkiQ

I was just bumping the thread to bring it back to life this last time. Before I meant I need as much retention as I can get to make it to APL. sorry to confuse you in any way :ohwell:

NikkiQ

lol as many people to say 4-6 months! The more people, the more it sounds like the average.....but idk why she trippin wit that speedy growth :p

ETA: I'm gonna stop teasing you Nikki but I have so much faith in your hair that you will get the growth you need to get you to apl soon. As long as you work to retain your length, you will be there, I guarantee it. I'm calling by March at the latest. Just pay attention to your hair. NEVER let your hair get thirsty for moisture and always keep your elasticity in check (protein). You know what to do, just be patient darlin'

thanks Femme. that means a lot coming from you :bighug:

sunnieb

Took me 6 months (Feb 2009 - July 2009). I attribute my retention to cowashing and bunning 98% of the time. I had a minor setback, but got back to APL 2 months later.

Good luck ladies! You will get there! :yep:

lana

I was shoulder length for Years and then I found LHCF and started using healthy hair practices. I made APL within 3 years. That is while transitioning and regrowing a full head of natural hair to APL. It took 3 years.

Now I'm at APL and waiting for BSL. It's been about a year and I'm still not full BSL. I don't really care, because APL 4a/b hair is a LOT to deal with. It's texlaxed...but still. It's a lot of hair to do by myself weekly. Did I mention it's thick and a LOT of hair.

I believe my growth that I'm retaining came from using MANE & TAIL conditioner as my leave in and my prepoo. That stuff helps me so much! I have the hair of my dreams and I really believe it's due to a $3 bottle of Mane & Tail conditioner. Not to mention healthy hair practices low heat/no manipulation except rollers/finger comb only.

I wear my hair down for the first 3 days after wash day and then it's up in a bun with a swooped bang. I'm very happy with my growth and retention. I focus more on hair HEALTH than LENGTH and I think that's why I trim often, I like even growing hair, but my hair doesn't grow evenly. It all depends.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I can finally reply to this thread! YAY!

It took me 10 months to get from SL to APL. I had two small cuts in between.

fitnessmommy

About 29 years... LOL ( I could never pass shoulder length before I started protective styling). So post protective styling I would say it took about 6 months.

NYDiva

I know that some ladies in this forum use NL- SL- APL..etc...., while others may use NL-SL-CBL-APL, I guess what I consider shoulder length (my hair length) others may consider CBL? So I'm wondering how the responses differ based on the above. I just always thought that shoulder length was when your hair could be "fanned out" to touch your shoulders.

hair4romheaven

About 7 or 8 mnths. I didnt realize it hit it since I PS so much. I trimmed once and dusted since reaching goal. Still at Apl.