How Does Music Affect You? Please Share Freely... No Condemnations Allowed

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
After reading the article posted in the 'Secular Music' thread, I couldn't help but acknowledge that 'we', especially African Americans have a natural rhythm.

There is absolutely no denial of it, neither mentally nor physically, can it be denied that 'we' do not have an 'inborn' natural rhythm. It's 'our' DNA.

I remember watching my babies as they were growing up and at the slightest sound of music, they moved with a rhythm that had 'culture' marked within it. And it wasn't because they were mimicking what they saw 'me' or my husband doing... It was just 'there'.

When I hear music or rhythms, it doesn't take a New York minute for me to respond to it with body movements. I 'instinctively' move to different levels of music as to how it's presented. And it's not because I'm a Dancer nor can I attribute it to all of the dance classes, workshops and training that I've taken throughout the decades of my life. There are movements that no teacher could ever teach me, I was born with them.

Once we hear music, 'our' bodies immediately respond with a rhythm that is uniquely our own. For the most part, the majority of us did not grow up in Africa, yet we still have this unique rhythm... and frankly, I love it. It's ours. And I see it as a gift from God above. :yep:

I'm inclined to believe that we have an inner music stream flowing through our souls. Not in a bad way. But music and rhythms which 'we' instinctively respond to in Dance. 'Just a thought'... :scratchch: :yep:

In truth Dancing is simply body movements which are a manifestation of the music that one hears or has embraced into their spirit. Whatever the rhythm or the song's or the music's message is, the Dancer brings it into a visualization. That's just how much power music, rhythms, beats and melodies have.

Bear with me in my musings here... I'm trying to put my thoughts out 'here' hoping that it will make sense to someone other than me.

Music and Dance.... I just believe that God gave these to us as gifts. They go hand in hand with each other... no doubt about it.

Well, for instance... :Rose:

In dance rehearsals, the drills and movements are painful, dull, boring and draining, UNTIL the music plays, then it becomes a totally different atmosphere, and the movements then have meaning and the drills and the rehearsals are worth it.

Music, be it good or bad, has so much power. It can heal, or it can destroy, it can take one's mind on a far off journey, while never leaving their desk at work, or living room. It takes you back to a day or moment in time that made you either sad or glad. It brings you into reality or it can keep one in denial, depending on the notes and rhythms.

It's gets housework done, it gets me through miles of walking, or long journey's on a plane. It gets me to work on the commuter train. It blocks out undesired conversations, and yet opens the path to being stress free.

The power of music... and dance...

Have you noticed how the ranges of music is literally ENDLESS. Just when I thought there'd never be a song that I'd love more than one I love now... a new song comes out and I'm in love with a new song all over again.

Mandisa's 'God's Speaking'.... total favorite. Then Royal Taylor's ' Can You Hold Me Together?" Then I'm back to 'CeCe Winan's ' Throne Room'...

Music and Dance and Rhythms...

They are ours. Things I love, but not more than I love God.

:Rose: Please share how music affects you. And it's totally okay if my post makes no sense... :yep: I love you anyway and would love to hear what you have to say.

LifeafterLHCF

Hmm it depends. Most music that is targeted for Christians I just can move to unless it's like a praise dance but then me and my big behind won't be doing anything like that anyway.

I prefer music with a strong beat esp since I workout and it places me in a driven mood. I can't run to anything to sweet or slow I need something racy and fast in order to get to my goal.

loolalooh

Music affects my mood (soul) and my body (dance). Songs like Alicia Keys' "Broken Heart", make me melancholy and make me remember a past relationship. Songs like Drake's "Motto" or Big Sean's "Dance", make me hype and want to participate in the "world". These kinds of music are powerful once they hit my ears; I can become depressed, angry, happy, content, feel empty, etc. In the past, my friends have commented on how I appear to be in a "trance":drunk: when I would dance to music at the clubs/lounges.

Because, music really gets into my soul and takes me to various places mentally and emotionally, I have to filter it. Last month, I had the hardest time letting go of my Drake CD. :nono:

Shimmie

Staff member
Hmm it depends. Most music that is targeted for Christians I just can move to unless it's like a praise dance but then me and my big behind won't be doing anything like that anyway.

I prefer music with a strong beat esp since I workout and it places me in a driven mood. I can't run to anything to sweet or slow I need something racy and fast in order to get to my goal.

Music affects my mood (soul) and my body (dance). Songs like Alicia Keys' "Broken Heart", make me melancholy and make me remember a past relationship. Songs like Drake's "Motto" or Big Sean's "Dance", make me hype and want to participate in the "world". These kinds of music are powerful once they hit my ears; I can become depressed, angry, happy, content, feel empty, etc. In the past, my friends have commented on how I appear to be in a "trance":drunk: when I would dance to music at the clubs/lounges.

Because, music really gets into my soul and takes me to various places mentally and emotionally, I have to filter it. Last month, I had the hardest time letting go of my Drake CD. :nono:

Thanks sweethearts...

Question: Deep down, do either of you feel that you have a 'natural rhythm'?

I am fully taking into account that we are Christians and that we are not of the world. There is a marked difference in the message we 'release' when we move to music.

I know when I've been in Gospel aroebics classes, and even in Ballet, there's a marked difference in the rhythm I have in comparison to the other 'cultures' in my classes. (I'm trying to keep these non-racial :yep:) Yet as a woman of African Descent, there is just a rhythm that is marked different than the others.

Am I making any sense?

Do you notice that you have a different rhythm?

Shimmie

Staff member
Yea but bc I am a new creature I can't have the same dance I use to have. So yea I do have natural rhythm to me.

:yep: Fully understood... I have a deep respect for you. You have a heart for God and it's pure and innocent.

auparavant

Uplifting, especially religious music (Jewish, Native and christian). Well, all types. I love classical as I studied piano since a child. I'd say it greatly affects my mood as well.

SweetSimplicity

I enjoy so many different types of music and dance. Music can make me feel joy, sadness, it can uplift me and depress me. Depending on the music it can make me work harder as I work out or relax me as I unwind from a hard day. When I listen to certain worship songs I can feel God's presence. I also love the sound of prayers that are sung or chanted. It is so beautiful to me.

Shimmie

Staff member
Uplifting, especially religious music (Jewish, Native and christian). Well, all types. I love classical as I studied piano since a child. I'd say it greatly affects my mood as well.

Wow... you studied piano :up: This blesses me because my grandmom (Paternal) played classical piano. I have a lot of 'soft' memories of sitting beside her on the piano bench as she played. She introduced me to the Arts, music and dancing of which I will never have regrets.

Thank you for sharing this. To this very day, I love piano sounds. Dino Kartsonakis is among my favorites. :yep:

loolalooh

Thanks sweethearts...

Question: Deep down, do either of you feel that you have a 'natural rhythm'?

I am fully taking into account that we are Christians and that we are not of the world. There is a marked difference in the message we 'release' when we move to music.

I know when I've been in Gospel aroebics classes, and even in Ballet, there's a marked difference in the rhythm I have in comparison to the other 'cultures' in my classes. (I'm trying to keep these non-racial :yep:) Yet as a woman of African Descent, there is just a rhythm that is marked different than the others.

Am I making any sense?

Do you notice that you have a different rhythm?

Yes, you're making sense. I feel I have a natural rhythm. The way my body wants to move to music is very instinctual. It sometimes surprises me.

Shimmie

Staff member
I enjoy so many different types of music and dance. Music can make me feel joy, sadness, it can uplift me and depress me.

Depending on the music it can make me work harder as I work out or relax me as I unwind from a hard day.

When I listen to certain worship songs I can feel God's presence. I also love the sound of prayers that are sung or chanted. It is so beautiful to me.

Thank you for sharing. I have to agree with you, I enjoy many types of music and dance as well. Predominantly Christian music. :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
Yes, you're making sense. I feel I have a natural rhythm. The way my body wants to move to music is very instinctual. It sometimes surprises me.

Awwww, thank you for 'understanding me'... :grouphug2: My thoughts were all over the place with this post. :lol:

The other thread (Secular Music) just had me thinking. Christian music will always dominate my heart. But I notice that I still have this rhythm (associated with 'our' culture) when I move to music.

I was looking for a better video example. However this rhythm has never left me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Oo1HB2PYA&feature=related

I visited an African Church with some friends of mine a few years ago and I was amazed at the high praise they presented. Of course I was 'mute', very laid back and conservative. But inside I wanted to dance right along with them.

Whenever I'm in a Church service, I am very conservative. I clap and my movements are kept in check. :look: :lol:

I'm trying to find a video of African dance.

Clarity: African Churches praising God in Dance...

YouTube isn't showing any true culture at all... :nono: I just keep coming up with a mess of stage fanatics doing crunk dances. Nothing at all to do with the culture. And even with the native dancing I'm being cautious because I don't want to end up with any of the 'ceremonial' dances. :nono:

Last edited:

loolalooh

Awwww, thank you for 'understanding me'... :grouphug2: My thoughts were all over the place with this post. :lol:

The other thread (Secular Music) just had me thinking. Christian music will always dominate my heart. But I notice that I still have this rhythm (associated with 'our' culture) when I move to music.

I was looking for a better video example. However this rhythm has never left me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Oo1HB2PYA&feature=related

I visited an African Church with some friends of mine a few years ago and I was amazed at the high praise they presented. Of course I was 'mute', very laid back and conservative. But inside I wanted to dance right along with them.

Whenever I'm in a Church service, I am very conservative. I clap and my movements are kept in check. :look: :lol:

I'm trying to find a video of African dance.

Clarity: African Churches praising God in Dance...

YouTube isn't showing any true culture at all... :nono: I just keep coming up with a mess of stage fanatics doing crunk dances. Nothing at all to do with the culture. And even with the native dancing I'm being cautious because I don't want to end up with any of the 'ceremonial' dances. :nono:

I see some of it in the video you posted. That praising God in dance looks like what I see when I go to African churches with my mom. Holy Spirit influenced natural rhythm. :) It's amazing.

Last edited:

Renewed1

Hmmmm.....Christian music (depending on the artist) I does LIFT my spirit and I give praise. Or bring me to a state of peace. I do sometimes dance.

Classical/Opera (or similar) I feel it increases my brain cells...you know...I feel myself thinking and focusing on the melody, chords, alot more attentive...I don't know how to explain it correctly. But I do have an appreciation for the music and it relaxes me.

Secular - I automatically dance if the beats are jamming. Depending how long I went without listening to Christian music, it does affect my mood. So I try to be careful.

auparavant

Wow... you studied piano :up: This blesses me because my grandmom (Paternal) played classical piano. I have a lot of 'soft' memories of sitting beside her on the piano bench as she played. She introduced me to the Arts, music and dancing of which I will never have regrets.

Thank you for sharing this. To this very day, I love piano sounds. Dino Kartsonakis is among my favorites. :yep:

I screwed up big time. My teacher was as well-known local musician, professor and private teacher and she was going to send me to conservatory at UMKC. I got chicken. :nono: When she passed away, I never too another lesson but I still played years after. Now I'm trying to get back where I was..Wait, I did take some in college in freshman year. Forgot about that. I love piano. Took flute, violin (he was a European racist teaching lil brown children..:nono: and I fell off that) and tried clarinet. LOL. Thing is, there was this center we would go to for wind instruments and some kids took piano (I had my own private teacher) and those lil kids were doing jazz and all types of music. Kansas City...jazz is so natural for KC area folks. Wish I had learned it. But the talent was off the chain. Black and Native folk have an incredible amount of musical talent, naturally. So do Koreans. Sumi Jo? Good ness...the first "pianissimo" in voice I think I or anyone else has ever heard. Incredible. But beats? Black is the world's best, no doubt.

Shimmie

Staff member
I screwed up big time. My teacher was as well-known local musician, professor and private teacher and she was going to send me to conservatory at UMKC. I got chicken. :nono: When she passed away, I never too another lesson but I still played years after. Now I'm trying to get back where I was..Wait, I did take some in college in freshman year. Forgot about that.

I love piano. Took flute, violin ...

(he was a European racist teaching lil brown children..:nono: and I fell off that) and tried clarinet. LOL. Thing is, there was this center we would go to for wind instruments and some kids took piano (I had my own private teacher) and those lil kids were doing jazz and all types of music. Kansas City...jazz is so natural for KC area folks. Wish I had learned it.

But the talent was off the chain. Black and Native folk have an incredible amount of musical talent, naturally. So do Koreans. Sumi Jo? Good ness...the first "pianissimo" in voice I think I or anyone else has ever heard. Incredible. But beats? ...

Black is the world's best, no doubt.

Violin ... :up: :up: Oh Wow. I love the Violin and the Harp...along with the piano. I love string and percussion instruments. :yep:

One of my cousins in New York, (my grandmom's niece by marriage) played the Viola. I used to get the Violin and the Viola confused. :drunk: I love wind instruments as well. :yep:

Auparavant... You and I am truly share the love of the 'Arts'. It's a gift from God. :yep: I'm glad you were able to experience having a private teacher. There's nothing like the one on one mentorship.

And you are right about Blacks being the world's best. Just look at our culture. "We" are rich in the gifts of music and dance and in the rarest of beauty and style. And it's not about hip hop... :nono: We have a unique style that truly does have class.

Shimmie

Staff member
I see some of it in the video you posted. That praising God in dance looks like what I see when I go to African churches with my mom. Holy Spirit influenced natural rhythm. :) It's amazing.

loolalooh.... thanks so much for sharing this. You do understand what I'm trying to share. I was so amazed at the Praise and Worship at the African Church Service. They are so real and it's their 'nature', it's real with them.

I can only imagine how King David must have had a dance quite similiar.

Do you notice that the men (some of the women) but most of the men always pull out a white hankerchief and wave / spin it around as they dance?

This is the first thing the Pastor did at the Church that I attended. He pulled out a white hankerchief and as he danced, he would spin the handkerchief.

I'm just like... 'Wow'.... :lol:

I enjoy the Services each time I attend and the Word of God is so rich. They don't mess around with faith, they simply Believe God and that's it. :yep:

loolalooh

loolalooh.... thanks so much for sharing this. You do understand what I'm trying to share. I was so amazed at the Praise and Worship at the African Church Service. They are so real and it's their 'nature', it's real with them.

I can only imagine how King David must have had a dance quite similiar.

Do you notice that the men (some of the women) but most of the men always pull out a white hankerchief and wave / spin it around as they dance?

This is the first thing the Pastor did at the Church that I attended. He pulled out a white hankerchief and as he danced, he would spin the handkerchief.

I'm just like... 'Wow'.... :lol:

Yep. That white hankerchief seals the deal. :lol:

I enjoy the Services each time I attend and the Word of God is so rich. They don't mess around with faith, they simply Believe God and that's it. :yep:

So true, so true. It's like you can just feel their faith. It's so thick in the air. Love it. :)

Shimmie

Staff member
Hmmmm.....Christian music (depending on the artist) I does LIFT my spirit and I give praise. Or bring me to a state of peace. I do sometimes dance.

Classical/Opera (or similar) I feel it increases my brain cells...you know...I feel myself thinking and focusing on the melody, chords, alot more attentive...I don't know how to explain it correctly. But I do have an appreciation for the music and it relaxes me.

Secular - I automatically dance if the beats are jamming. Depending how long I went without listening to Christian music, it does affect my mood. So I try to be careful.

:wave: Hi M&M... How's it going sweetheart?

I grew up on Classical and Opera... My Grandmom, loved it and she shared it with me. (Now my Granddad... he taught me all about Jazz.... shhhh... that's our secret... okay? :giggle: ) :lol: Hey, Gotta love New York :love:

I go into 'auto-moves' when I hear a secular song... :happydance: , however I check it ... :look: And it's always when I'm in line at the Supermarket.... I mean don't they know I'm Christian....:look: --- 'Blast' :fistshake: those supermarket speakers, positioned right over my head, too.... :fistshake: :lol:

I know I've shared this before, but my 24/7 / 365 radio station is www.wrbs.com . It stays on my home radio no matter what; I can also listen to it through my computer no matter where I am; even as I'm traveling.

The Word in / keeps the Garbage Out... :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
Here's something that always ministers to me partially cuz I love the beach, but also for her hair (gorgeous) and her shape, expression...clothing is modest and beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEnMLHxag5Y

This is such a blessing... thank you so much for sharing this. I just saved it in my chanel favorites. :yep: Her dance is beautiful and it honours God.

Love and blessings to you. Thanks for 'understanding' my post. I was just pouring out my thoughts on something I've always loved... music and dance.

Renewed1

Shimmie, things are going well, finally, I was on prayer (late as usual) on last Tuesday.

I'm finally and happyfully content....for now...:lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie, things are going well, finally, I was on prayer (late as usual) on last Tuesday.

I'm finally and happyfully content....for now...:lol:

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy :happydance: So happy for you... :yay:

OOOOppps... I just 'danced'... :happydance: :lol:

Royal Taylor is on my radio station and I'm moving to the music. I love this song. It's a happy song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpJ2FeeJgw

I'm happy for you Sweetiepie... You hung in there ... God always holds us together like this. :grouphug2:

Last edited:

delitefulmane

There is absolutely no denial of it, neither mentally nor physically, can it be denied that 'we' do not have an 'inborn' natural rhythm. It's 'our' DNA.

When I hear music or rhythms, it doesn't take a New York minute for me to respond to it with body movements. I 'instinctively' move to different levels of music as to how it's presented. And it's not because I'm a Dancer nor can I attribute it to all of the dance classes, workshops and training that I've taken throughout the decades of my life. There are movements that no teacher could ever teach me, I was born with them.

Once we hear music, 'our' bodies immediately respond with a rhythm that is uniquely our own. For the most part, the majority of us did not grow up in Africa, yet we still have this unique rhythm... and frankly, I love it. It's ours. And I see it as a gift from God above. :yep: .

Shimmie,

I agree with your entire post, especially the points I've pulled out. I feel this way too! When music comes on, I just can't help but MOVE and then I have to fight myself to keep still. :lol: :happydance:

When I hear a beat, I begin to dance and then I have to decipher whether or not it is okay to dance to this song. Most of the times I have to stop dancing! :nono:

So, I totally understand where you are coming from. Just turn on a song and you will hear people say, "Oh no, here she goes." :lol: Music just moves 'us.' It only takes about a milli-second for us to catch the rhythm.

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie,

I agree with your entire post, especially the points I've pulled out. I feel this way too! When music comes on, I just can't help but MOVE and then I have to fight myself to keep still. :lol: :happydance:

When I hear a beat, I begin to dance and then I have to decipher whether or not it is okay to dance to this song. Most of the times I have to stop dancing! :nono:

So, I totally understand where you are coming from. Just turn on a song and you will hear people say, "Oh no, here she goes." :lol: Music just moves 'us.' It only takes about a milli-second for us to catch the rhythm.

:wave: Good Morning delitefulmane ... Happy Monday to you.

Thank you for sharing how music affects you. It's a blessing to know that I'm not the only 'Christian' with 'rhythm'. :lol:

I may have to teach 'Jesus' the electric slide... :look:

Please don't stone me :bricks: :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie,
No stones! Im sure he already knows it. How do you think we know how to do it? He already knew someone was gonna come up with it to get everyone up dancing in love. :look: :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ok Im done! :lol:

:amen: that makes a whole lot of sense. :yep:

Yep... :yep:

At Christian weddings, that's the one dance where Err' body gets up on the floor... :happydance: :lol:

auparavant

This is such a blessing... thank you so much for sharing this. I just saved it in my chanel favorites. :yep: Her dance is beautiful and it honours God.

Love and blessings to you. Thanks for 'understanding' my post. I was just pouring out my thoughts on something I've always loved... music and dance.

Love the way her garment fits about the waist and flows to the floor...in the wind.