Shout Music...

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I'm growing weary of it. Don't get me wrong. I love to dance and sing and shout in church. But "Shout Music"... :perplexed ...it seems like that's the only way some people can get their praise on.

I'm on the praise and worship team, and folks dance up a storm when that music starts to play. There are other fast songs that have great lyrics and music--so many other arrangements could be played--yet some folks don't respond in worship.

But don't let musicians start up with the shout music cause folks go wild dancing--some spontaneous but others choreographed. :look:

And no, I'm not criticizing how folks worship (so don't be offended or call me Michal). I just usually wonder if there isn't anything else. Is it just that? It's almost like a prerequisite for musicians, yet it's becoming the same old same old to me.

I saw a program on the Word Network, and a group sang a song that eventually wound up ending with shout music. Folks were bucking, chicken dancing, screaming...all that. I sometimes think that music directors throw in shout music if they feel the congregation/audience isn't worshiping enough. (It's almost like that special song a DJ plays to get everyone on the dance floor.)

A few Sundays ago they played shout music after P&W, and I had to make sure my face didn't show what I was really feeling/thinking. What's so special about it? Is that the only type that folks feel is anointed or something? I started clapping and then realized I was being phony, so I lifted up my hands, closed my eyes, and gave him praise. (That's not considered rebellious, right?)

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm jaded or something.

This topic has been on my mind for a while, and I wanted to vent a bit and maybe get different perspectives. This thread isn't meant to cause controversy or confusion.

I don't care if anyone feels like throwing anointing oil at me cause I can sure use a good pre-poo. :grin:

HeChangedMyName

I know where you are coming from. I am not on p & W but from what I understand about the praise team's purpose, they are suppose to usher in the welcoming of the Holy Spirit into the service. This is where people are suppose to be open and to the Spirit, if they aren't already. Shout music , IMHO is what "makes" people feel the spirit. The problem comes when people only respond to that type of music because they feel like that is the only way they can experience the Spirit. I am not a shouter and usually feel more connection with the Spirit during P&W rather than during shout time. While I do participate and clap and watch for the glorty of God to touch people who do get their shout on during those times

. . . . . .But we all know someone who only wants to show off their latest shout steps. That is normal by now I think.

SilentRuby

OMG :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Your whole post is ON POINT!! I have stories about this for days. I know exactly which shout music you're speaking of :lachen: and I believe it is a strategy (in some churches) if the service is not going as planned.

KPH

House Head
LOL, especially during the end of the sermon and the organ player hits 3 -4 notes or even at the end of a song they slip the shout music in like it is part of a song.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I'm glad you understand because I didn't want it to be taken the wrong way.

Sometimes our director wants us to learn a new song that I might not like at first, but somewhere along the way we start singing and it really touches me. I know we're not ministering to ourselves, but come on now. Variety is the spice of life.

Why does it have to be the same old thing? It's like a coach running the same play for his team hoping to win every game.

I would bring it up at church, but the director or pastor might not get what I'm saying. They might throw me in the baptismal pool. :lol:

Pam Pam

I think that "shouting" music is just a traditional part of most pentecostal services. I'm almost certain that it's a just a time that is allowed for people to rejoice and give God glory. No praise (or worship) for that matter should be coerced. It should truly be led of the Holy Ghost.

Some people in church do things because it's what they've seen. Some people do it because it's truly an expression of praise. Sometimes in a service, you need to rejoice and be excited for God.

As far as those who are doing it for show, of course, we know that God searches the thoughts and intents of the heart. But in Psalms 150:6, it says "Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD."