My observations about the differences in gospel music

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Just let me know if any of you have noticed this also.

Growing up, most of the gospel music I heard were from black singers. In this day and time, I am noticing that many are singing the same types of songs (relating to blessings or how one could've lost their minds, almost getting evicted, etc) and it seems to be about the beats, how well you can dance to the music and flashy clothes. It was something I was used to, so I didn't really bother searching out until a few years ago. That's when I discovered artists like Don Moen, Darlene Zseuch (sp?), etc. Their music is truly worship and comes straight from scripture, word for word. They are not concerned with rhyming, dancing, etc. That's when I started noticing that there's a difference in white and black gospel music.

Now, I have heard black artists like Alvin Slaughter sing worship music similar to Don Moen, but a lot of black gospel artists seem more into making you clap your hands and dance than the message they are trying to relay. A lot of black gospel music seems to tie into the emotions of it's listeners and also they tend to sing about the struggle (bills not getting paid on time, etc) or about how the devil was about to attack them. I know these situations are true in many cases, but it just seems like overkill to me.
I also notice this difference with black/white ministers. I sometimes think black ministers are stuck between a rock and a hard place because with some congregations, they'd rather you make them shout than you really teach the Word. Some white ministers are getting this way to, ie Rod Parsley. I have noticed I am more into Charles Stanley (someone who ain't worried about making you shout) because his sermons really make you take a look at your life and evaluate it concerning the Word.

Does anyone understand what I am saying?

I totally understand.

I Heard a preacher say once that, "when someone preaches or sings, we are supposed to be lead with our focus being on God. If the focus stays on the outfit, shoes, beat or whatever else, they are bringing attention to the flesh and God is not being glorified."

Some preaching/singing that I have heard lately makes me feel quite uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure that some of it is not being done in heaven.

One time my husband muted the sound on our t.v. during one of these gospel songs. I tell ya, you would've thought that you were looking at a video on BET.:perplexed

length4me

Yeah, I can relate, especially the part about the worship music. I was listening to a Christian radio station a while back and a pastor who used to be a minister of music analyzed several popular worship songs that you would hear in church on Sunday morning. He basically picked apart alot of these songs because they weren't worship songs at all. Most of the songs were self-centered and didn't glorify the completed work of Christ on the cross. I buy both black and non-black Christian music - I don't care about beats anymore I just want to experience him in true worship. It is sad that quite a few black churches are interested in how long the choir can hold a note than ushering the presence of God.

good2uuuu

I still love the Hawkins family and Richard Smallwood is my absolute fav. along with Donnie McClurkin. Now Kirk n' 'em, we get down when I work out. That's my cardio music right there. I do know what you are saying though. Totally.

StrawberryQueen

Yes, people interpret "make a joyful noise for the Lord" in different ways. Some people think you should get up dance, jump, yell and scream.

Others think it's wrong.

I like music that gets me off my feet. Slow dirges don't really do it for me.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Bublnbrnsuga said:

Growing up, most of the gospel music I heard were from black singers. In this day and time, I am noticing that many are singing the same types of songs (relating to blessings or how one could've lost their minds, almost getting evicted, etc) and it seems to be about the beats, how well you can dance to the music and flashy clothes. It was something I was used to, so I didn't really bother searching out until a few years ago. That's when I discovered artists like Don Moen, Darlene Zseuch (sp?), etc. Their music is truly worship and comes straight from scripture, word for word. They are not concerned with rhyming, dancing, etc. That's when I started noticing that there's a difference in white and black gospel music.

Now, I have heard black artists like Alvin Slaughter sing worship music similar to Don Moen, but a lot of black gospel artists seem more into making you clap your hands and dance than the message they are trying to relay. A lot of black gospel music seems to tie into the emotions of it's listeners and also they tend to sing about the struggle (bills not getting paid on time, etc) or about how the devil was about to attack them. I know these situations are true in many cases, but it just seems like overkill to me.
I also notice this difference with black/white ministers. I sometimes think black ministers are stuck between a rock and a hard place because with some congregations, they'd rather you make them shout than you really teach the Word. Some white ministers are getting this way to, ie Rod Parsley. I have noticed I am more into Charles Stanley (someone who ain't worried about making you shout) because his sermons really make you take a look at your life and evaluate it concerning the Word.

I agree with you, Bubln, it's not always about the 'hoop and holla' then hand over your dolla'... I don't really mind the shout, but please 'teach' me something in the whirlwind.

I prefer to be very, very quiet and 'listen' and hear the word of the Lord. I agree, that Dr. Stanley 'teaches' as opposed to one who always preaches.

Good post...;)

kbragg

Shimmie said:
I agree with you, Bubln, it's not always about the 'hoop and holla' then hand over your dolla'...

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: You made me laugh so hard I peed a little bit...:look: brb.....:ohwell:

Shimmie

Staff member
kbragg said:
BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: You made me laugh so hard I peed a little bit...:look: brb.....:ohwell:

Saaaarrrrry...:kiss:

But "K", you and I have both 'had it' with these "round up" of emotion services, only to get people to the point of giving 'emotional offerings' and not sensible or offerings truly lead of the Lord. It's just wrong.

Have you ever noticed the difference in how Dr. Stanley asks for financial support as opposed to some? Now, I'm not here to 'down' anyone...but I'm not here either to up the anty (sp?) to profit one and leave the Believer set out on the street because of an eviction notice.

We have to have our minds or wits about us when it comes to all of this. Some of these emotional highs only end up with delusional lows.

PaperClip

Hey, Bublin'!

This topic is complex because it's really a matter of perspective.... If one's upbringing was filled with threats of eviction, poverty, etc., that's what they're gonna sing about. If one's experience was about God delivering them from a nervous breakdown, then that's what they're gonna sing about.

Flip the script to what I grew up listening to: grew up in a denomination that will sing you happy, even it took ALL NIGHT LONG!:eek: :lol: Hand-clappin', foot-stompin', drums, organs, pianos, tambourines, if it can make a sound, it's gonna be played.... And sometimes that's exactly what I wanna hear!

But my tastes have evolved over the years. I try to go off the beaten path and not gravitate toward one race of singers, but I still want the deep, heartfelt sound and to break the stereotype that Black folk can't do worship and White folk can't give some gut-bucket praise!

Alicia Williamson is African American and her praise and worship CD is so soothing....

Ron Kenoly is a great exhorter on his praise and worship CDs

Martha Munizzi? "Glorious"? Enough said!

My favorite: Israel and New Breed has merged the best of "both worlds" and I get both the worship and the Black church praise at the same time!

Jonathan Butler has a wonderful jazz-influenced praise and worship CD as well. He wrote the song "Fallin' in Love with Jesus".... so heartfelt!

live2bgr8

Bublnbrnsuga said:

Yep... I hear you loud and clear.... I think some of the "bills not getting paid on time, etc) or about how the devil was about to attack them" is "milk" music. Whereas, the Third Day, Don Moen, CeCe, Jeremy Camp is "meat" music...

Same with preachers... Don't listen to Rod Parsely or even T.D. Jakes as much anymore (milk), but I sure do love Charles Stanley, Ravi Zacharias, David Wilkerson... and others (meat).

You dun' graduated to the meat, girl! :lol: :yay: :clapping:

I don't look down upon the "milk" music or preaching though... If it's truly ministering to someone's Spirit, it's a good thing...

My only problem comes with downright prosperity preaching and telling the congregation ONLY what they want to hear... That's a disservice to the God we serve and His congregation/followers...

Only God knows what someone's real motives are when they get up to preach or sing. That's why when judgement comes, preachers and singers may be sayin' "Didn't I preach/sing in your name?" He'll say "Sorry, you never knew me..." and On lookers will be like :eek: :eek: :eek: "I thought FO' sho' he'd be coming to the party..."

Last edited:

length4me

Same with preachers... Don't listen to Rod Parsely or even T.D. Jakes as much anymore (milk), but I sure do love Charles Stanley, Ravi Zacharias, David Wilkerson... and others (meat).
Ravi Zacharias---he is awesome

prettywhitty

kelouis75 said:
Yep... I hear you loud and clear.... I think some of the "bills not getting paid on time, etc) or about how the devil was about to attack them" is "milk" music. Whereas, the Third Day, Don Moen, CeCe, Jeremy Camp is "meat" music...

You dun' graduated to the meat, girl! :lol: :yay: :clapping:

I don't look down upon the "milk" music or preaching though... If it's truly ministering to someone's Spirit, it's a good thing...

My only problem comes with downright prosperity preaching and telling the congregation ONLY what they want to hear... That's a disservice to the God we serve and His congregation/followers...

Only God knows what someone's real motives are when they get up to preach or sing. That's why when judgement comes, preachers and singers may be sayin' "Didn't I preach/sing in your name?" He'll say "Sorry, you never knew me..." and On lookers will be like :eek: :eek: :eek: "I thought FO' sho' he'd be coming to the party..."

I hear you, Bubln, I have changed over to the Christian station which plays artists like these and I really enjoy listening to them. I also like Nicole Mullen, Superchick, Rebecca St James, and Big Daddy Weave(hope that's spelled right).

kbragg

I Love Isreal & New Breed! They're on my myspace!:cool: ITA Shimmie, love Charles Stanley! REAL teaching!:cool:

atlqt

RelaxerRehab said:
Hey, Bublin'!

This topic is complex because it's really a matter of perspective.... If one's upbringing was filled with threats of eviction, poverty, etc., that's what they're gonna sing about. If one's experience was about God delivering them from a nervous breakdown, then that's what they're gonna sing about.

Flip the script to what I grew up listening to: grew up in a denomination that will sing you happy, even it took ALL NIGHT LONG!:eek: :lol: Hand-clappin', foot-stompin', drums, organs, pianos, tambourines, if it can make a sound, it's gonna be played.... And sometimes that's exactly what I wanna hear!

But my tastes have evolved over the years. I try to go off the beaten path and not gravitate toward one race of singers, but I still want the deep, heartfelt sound and to break the stereotype that Black folk can't do worship and White folk can't give some gut-bucket praise!

Alicia Williamson is African American and her praise and worship CD is so soothing....

Ron Kenoly is a great exhorter on his praise and worship CDs

Martha Munizzi? "Glorious"? Enough said!

My favorite: Israel and New Breed has merged the best of "both worlds" and I get both the worship and the Black church praise at the same time!

Jonathan Butler has a wonderful jazz-influenced praise and worship CD as well. He wrote the song "Fallin' in Love with Jesus".... so heartfelt!

WOW! This topic and the above post brought me out of lurkdom on the Christian Forum. First of all, hello to all of my sisters; it's my first post.

Relaxer and the Bublin, I FEEL you. I attend a multi-cultural church and the BEST thing about my experience there is learning to enter into worship, discern the annointing of the ministry of music versus the spirit of entertainment and place a priority on worshipping God and nourishing my spirit through music versus my flesh. The most beautiful site to behold is the pureness of whorship being offered up by a rainbow of faces. We fuse R&B, Contemporary Christian, White Gospel, Black Gospel, Blue Grass, Gut-Bucket, Country, Salsa, African all together and you never know what you're going to get on any given Sunday, except for a temple that ushers in His train, regardless of the beats.

I had to learn to rely on my spirit recognizing the annointing rather than my flesh identifying with the familiar beats of my culture. In the beginning, my friend and I would leave church in our foolish immaturity and say, "We had white church today" or "Ohh-wee, church was sooooo good, we had Black church today". Praise God for growth! Today, nothing turns me off more that a "choir performance" @ church. My spirit becomes vexed and I actually have to leave. Not out of hautiness because I've arrived spiritualy; I literally can't sit through it because of how sensitive I've become an atmosphere that brings glory to man instead of God. And it's not a Black or White thing, either. White folks don't have the market cornered on knowing how to worship God. Traditionally, Blacks are given to entertainment and histrionics that play on emotions and Whites are given to restrained, scripted church where any emotion is deemed unseemly. When it's all said and done, both are unworthy sacrifices of praise to the Lord that burn before they reach Him.

Many of the people who are popular today for their ability to usher in the presence of God came to my church when they weren't popular: Martha Munnizi, Clint Brown, Israel and New Breed, Vicki Yohe. Ever heard of the Binions, Danny Chambers, Darlene Bishop's choir (her son sings Bluegrass....that took a minute, I'll admit... and her daughter writes powerful music for her church's choir) or the group that wrote "God is watching us from a distance before Bette Midler or Streisand sang it? This is how we get down. We got some sisters who just plain ole love the Lord who will make you throw your purse on the altar. We got some white women who will make you swear that you've seen the burning bush. Our worship leader is a white male and I could eat him up. Ever seen an Asian woman sing Kirk Franklin?; what about a goofy white dude tear up some Michael English? At our Christmas Festival we had a scene of Salsa dancing and our Latina members toe it up. There's one thing in common with all of these scenario's: the attention is on God, setting the atmosphere for His presence and ensuring that He has to share his Glory with no one, regardless of their talent. This is not to pump up my church. There are MANY ushering in God's presence; believe that.

Now trust me; this does not come without problems. In our ignorance, some complain that there isn't enough Black music and you need to have "Black" music if you want Black people to feel comfortable. Some say that it's getting to be too Black and the white people will leave if we keep singing Black songs. And Lawd, they have the nerve to let the kids "step" ("what is stepping anyway, Elmer....it looks demonic") and the "Mexicans" ('cause all Hispanics are Mexicans, right?) do that salsa stuff. My Black teenagers won't come out to Wed youth service if they have a Christian Rock band instead of hip-hop music. My Pastor sets his face like a "flint" and declares that this house will look like heaven and we will do what "thus said the Lord" and what brings Him Glory and remain relevant to the world that we're endeavoring to win to Christ without compromising the Gospel, nothing more or less. If you don't like the heat, move to Siberia.

P.S.: Wow Relax, you named all of my favorites!

Milk vs. Meat..........EXCELLENT POINT! We're not all in the same place spiritually and some things are doctrine, while others are a matter of personal preference and the phase of your walk.

Sorry for the length.....soapbox issue for me. Stepping down now and headed back to lurkdom. LOVE you Ladies!

Shimmie

Staff member
atlqt said:
WOW! This topic and the above post brought me out of lurkdom on the Christian Forum. First of all, hello to all of my sisters; it's my first post.

Relaxer and the Bublin, I FEEL you. I attend a multi-cultural church and the BEST thing about my experience there is learning to enter into worship, discern the annointing of the ministry of music versus the spirit of entertainment and place a priority on worshipping God and nourishing my spirit through music versus my flesh. The most beautiful site to behold is the pureness of whorship being offered up by a rainbow of faces. We fuse R&B, Contemporary Christian, White Gospel, Black Gospel, Blue Grass, Gut-Bucket, Country, Salsa, African all together and you never know what you're going to get on any given Sunday, except for a temple that ushers in His train, regardless of the beats.

I had to learn to rely on my spirit recognizing the annointing rather than my flesh identifying with the familiar beats of my culture. In the beginning, my friend and I would leave church in our foolish immaturity and say, "We had white church today" or "Ohh-wee, church was sooooo good, we had Black church today". Praise God for growth! Today, nothing turns me off more that a "choir performance" @ church. My spirit becomes vexed and I actually have to leave. Not out of hautiness because I've arrived spiritualy; I literally can't sit through it because of how sensitive I've become an atmosphere that brings glory to man instead of God. And it's not a Black or White thing, either. White folks don't have the market cornered on knowing how to worship God. Traditionally, Blacks are given to entertainment and histrionics that play on emotions and Whites are given to restrained, scripted church where any emotion is deemed unseemly. When it's all said and done, both are unworthy sacrifices of praise to the Lord that burn before they reach Him.

Many of the people who are popular today for their ability to usher in the presence of God came to my church when they weren't popular: Martha Munnizi, Clint Brown, Israel and New Breed, Vicki Yohe. Ever heard of the Binions, Danny Chambers, Darlene Bishop's choir (her son sings Bluegrass....that took a minute, I'll admit... and her daughter writes powerful music for her church's choir) or the group that wrote "God is watching us from a distance before Bette Midler or Streisand sang it? This is how we get down. We got some sisters who just plain ole love the Lord who will make you throw your purse on the altar. We got some white women who will make you swear that you've seen the burning bush. Our worship leader is a white male and I could eat him up. Ever seen an Asian woman sing Kirk Franklin?; what about a goofy white dude tear up some Michael English? At our Christmas Festival we had a scene of Salsa dancing and our Latina members toe it up. There's one thing in common with all of these scenario's: the attention is on God, setting the atmosphere for His presence and ensuring that He has to share his Glory with no one, regardless of their talent. This is not to pump up my church. There are MANY ushering in God's presence; believe that.

Now trust me; this does not come without problems. In our ignorance, some complain that there isn't enough Black music and you need to have "Black" music if you want Black people to feel comfortable. Some say that it's getting to be too Black and the white people will leave if we keep singing Black songs. And Lawd, they have the nerve to let the kids "step" ("what is stepping anyway, Elmer....it looks demonic") and the "Mexicans" ('cause all Hispanics are Mexicans, right?) do that salsa stuff. My Black teenagers won't come out to Wed youth service if they have a Christian Rock band instead of hip-hop music. My Pastor sets his face like a "flint" and declares that this house will look like heaven and we will do what "thus said the Lord" and what brings Him Glory and remain relevant to the world that we're endeavoring to win to Christ without compromising the Gospel, nothing more or less. If you don't like the heat, move to Siberia.

P.S.: Wow Relax, you named all of my favorites!

Milk vs. Meat..........EXCELLENT POINT! We're not all in the same place spiritually and some things are doctrine, while others are a matter of personal preference and the phase of your walk.

Sorry for the length.....soapbox issue for me. Stepping down now and headed back to lurkdom. LOVE you Ladies!

You've made a excellent comments on the difference in cultures. There is an African church that I visit from time to time and when they start praise and worship, you know it's the Lord. This church 'LOVES' God!

But when I first saw them in an African praise song, and immediately the rhythm and the 'moves' when straight to Africa and Africans move their hips....However, I noticed something, it was natural to them and it wasn't carnally projected.

When I visit, I'm still reserved during the praise music, because I want to make sure that my moves are in order. I'll clap to the rhythm and leave it at that. ;)

StrawberryQueen

Shimmie said:
You've made a excellent comments on the difference in cultures. There is an African church that I visit from time to time and when they start praise and worship, you know it's the Lord. This church 'LOVES' God!

But when I first saw them in an African praise song, and immediately the rhythm and the 'moves' when straight to Africa and Africans move their hips....However, I noticed something, it was natural to them and it wasn't carnally projected.

When I visit, I'm still reserved during the praise music, because I want to make sure that my moves are in order. I'll clap to the rhythm and leave it at that. ;)
This is an excellent thing you have done. I as well enjoy learning how other people/culture praise the Lord, and it is just as beautiful and powerful as sitting in a pew, listening.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
kbragg said:

:rofl:

Bubblin',

I do see where you're coming from. I also enjoy hearing Charles Stanley teach.

My pastor has before spoken of going to church and hearing a sermon that makes you feel good, but when you leave you haven't learned anything. :nono:
I think balance is good--a balance whereas sometimes the message is motivating, exciting, inspirational and sometimes it's a thorough teaching.

Shimmie

Staff member
Supergirl said:

Bubblin',

My pastor has before spoken of going to church and hearing a sermon that makes you feel good, but when you leave you haven't learned anything. :nono:
I think balance is good--a balance whereas sometimes the message is motivating, exciting, inspirational and sometimes it's a thorough teaching.

Hey, what I said was true....:lol:

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Supergirl said:

Bubblin',

You know you are listening to Charles Stanley when you hear him say ' listen' about 50-11 times in his sermons!! This trips me and hubby out!

Ms Lala

I see what you are saying but I appreciate all of the types. I am singer/songwriter and I write all kinds of Christian/gospel music as inspired by the spirit. THere is a time and place for each of them. Sometimes I just want to put on something while I"m cleaning the house or to get me going and I love contemporary/urban gospel for that. Other times I want to be quiet and really have deep woship and that is when I put on Shekinah Glory ministries or some other type of worship music. I would see the urban gospel of today as comparable to some of the heavier Christian rock, it's influenced by the culture in terms of the beat but at the same time I am glad to have a positive alternative to the crap on secular stations. I also think it is great that some of the songs cross over onto these stations and minister the gospel to people who may never listen to a Christian station. I have seen some young people in the youth ministry really be blessed by some of these contemporary songs. All of it is targeted to different populations and as I said in the beginning I think there's a time and place (and taste) for all of it. I have heard some anointed gospel rap and jazz before and I have also heard some totally unscriptural hymns and worship songs. We do need to use discernment in what we listen to. No I don't want to sing hip hop gospel in Sunday morning service but I love it to get me going on the drive home from work.

Sorry I"m rambling now.

Ms Lala

Supergirl said:

Bubblin',

I have experienced this in churches of all kinds, with pastors of all races and I can't stand it. People want to keep there members instead of preaching the message the spirit is speaking for the times. I was talking to a minister who teaches at a seminary and he said many of the pastors he knows hardly read their bible or spend time preparing, this is sad!!!