How Do You Trim Your Own Hair?

longfroinghair

Hey everyone :wave: I'm a newbie, first thread and post

So My hairdresser gave me an.........interesting trim lol

Think I'll do my own trims for a while

I'd Like to know, for the future, what's the simplest DIY trimming method possible. Or at least something a beginner could do w/o too much risk of messing up. I think I've heard of a "ponytail trimming method" but idunno :perplexed

Any help appreciated

TIA ladies (think it means thanks in advance?)

Kn0ttyByNatur3

Since I don't wear my hair straight and don't plan doing it anytime soon.

I just put my hair into a bunch of small twist and just snip my ends. :)

:welcome: to the board.

bride91501

I put my hair in a bunch of small twists (which I subsequently wear for 2-3 weeks), then I snip off about 1/2" from each end.

I do this twice a year - every March and August. I rarely wear my hair straight, so I'm not concerned about perfectly blunt ends....just trying to head off any potential splits.

HTH

greenandchic

I trim my hair when its wet with conditioner - one small section at a time. I never wear my hair straight and I usually only trim about 1/4" off all over.

WyrdWay

I use fey's trimming method. Youtube search for it!!!!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

longfroinghair

Since I don't wear my hair straight and don't plan doing it anytime soon.

I just put my hair into a bunch of small twist and just snip my ends. :)

:welcome: to the board.

ooooo I like this idea :yep: I'll definitely try this one! And thanks for the welcome :grin:

I trim my hair when its wet with conditioner - one small section at a time. I never wear my hair straight and I usually only trim about 1/4" off all over.

Really?...My hair's pressed natural and it shrinks up when wet, plus the ends don't look split or dry when my hair is wet.... only when I flat iron. What's the benefit of trimming wet for you?

lana

Well I wear my hair straight and I learned how to self trim after getting my hair whacked off one too many times over the years from hair dressers that just wanted to "even things up" or "clean up the style" - one stylist even tried to CUT my hair AFTER they wanted it to "lay right".

I have heard it all and dropped each one of them to become a Do It Yourselfer (DIY). Best thing I ever did for my hair!

So...I trim my hair whenever it needs it. I check my ends every time I style the hair.
I dust more often than not and give it a good trim when needed.

1) Section the hair into the way that you style your hair - For me it is Front sides, Top Middle, Back

2) Straighten - Comb small sections through from root to tip and do a mini-trim of the ends. I hold my fingers straight or use a comb as a guide. I have found that it's better to mini-trim all around the first time and then go back through and finish up. Newbies will sometimes cut off way more than they need to - so mini-trim - love your hair.

3) Repeat the exact same process and literally try only to remove about one eyelash length for each trim. How long is one eyelash?

4) Part the hair down the middle and pull it over both shoulders and make sure it's even on the left and right.

5)THEN - I lean to the right and left and comb the hair down and trim lightly across IF needed. That's it! Whalla! Beautifully trimmed 4a/b (mostly b) hair.

My hair hit bra-strap length and is moving beyond, so I feel that I must be doing something right! Baby those ends and trim only when needed.

When I went to stylists I STAYED at ear length and shoulder length....now I know why!

If you are trimming layers the process is different. I used to have layers and know how to do that - let me know if anyone wants to know. :)

Last edited:

thecurlycamshow

I don't wear my hair straight so I don't care about even hair although my hair seem like it's fairly even on the sides and back. I trim my hair in two strand twists and use the S&D method once I twist out.

Shadiyah

I do the same thing put my hair in twist and clip my ends. I don't wear my hair straight either. and I do this on wet or dry hair.

NikkiGirl

I use Feye's method for trimming. I trim when my hair is straight and it comes out well. I trim for a U cut. There is a vid on youtube I watched before I tried it and it was very easy.

lux10023

part my hair in four sections then trim..and also part it in two sections and trim...trial and error but now im good at trimming just a lil bit and my hair is flourishing
if your hair is growing evenly in all areas---you can kinda see the amount of ends nec to cut..it should be about the same amount to cut off all over your head

greenandchic

ooooo I like this idea :yep: I'll definitely try this one! And thanks for the welcome :grin:

Really?...My hair's pressed natural and it shrinks up when wet, plus the ends don't look split or dry when my hair is wet.... only when I flat iron. What's the benefit of trimming wet for you?

I have more control when its wet (for me). When I have conditioner in my hair, especially heavy conditioners, I'm able to see the ends better because as a take each small section, detangle it and smooth it between my fingers, I can see everything. Its similar to how Youtube's Hair Crush (Chime) does hers except I probably use more conditioner than she does.

guyanesesista

I forgot about this but this is how I maintain in between. Even my 13 yr does S&D. Now if I can get her to stop doing them while she is in class we will be good to go:lol:

I haven't noticed anyone talking about this method for a while but I am obsessed with getting my hair scissors when I see the tiniest split or knot. When my hair is tangly I break out the scissors and s&d.

classoohfive

I used to do S&D and clip the ends after twisting. Then I got the Split-Ender, which I use about every 4 months after a flat iron post relaxer. Your hair has to be straight and in small sections, so I do it as I flat iron.

I don't wear my hair straight (texlaxed) very often because I'm still afraid of heat despite all of my learning (and laziness, I was supposed to flat iron two weeks ago for a length check), lol, so my hair is actually very uneven right now.

longfroinghair

Well I wear my hair straight and I learned how to self trim after getting my hair whacked off one too many times over the years from hair dressers that just wanted to "even things up" or "clean up the style" - one stylist even tried to CUT my hair AFTER they wanted it to "lay right".

I have heard it all and dropped each one of them to become a Do It Yourselfer (DIY). Best thing I ever did for my hair!

So...I trim my hair whenever it needs it. I check my ends every time I style the hair.
I dust more often than not and give it a good trim when needed.

1) Section the hair into the way that you style your hair - For me it is Front sides, Top Middle, Back

2) Straighten - Comb small sections through from root to tip and do a mini-trim of the ends. I hold my fingers straight or use a comb as a guide. I have found that it's better to mini-trim all around the first time and then go back through and finish up. Newbies will sometimes cut off way more than they need to - so mini-trim - love your hair.

3) Repeat the exact same process and literally try only to remove about one eyelash length for each trim. How long is one eyelash?

4) Part the hair down the middle and pull it over both shoulders and make sure it's even on the left and right.

5)THEN - I lean to the right and left and comb the hair down and trim lightly across IF needed. That's it! Whalla! Beautifully trimmed 4a/b (mostly b) hair.

My hair hit bra-strap length and is moving beyond, so I feel that I must be doing something right! Baby those ends and trim only when needed.

When I went to stylists I STAYED at ear length and shoulder length....now I know why!

If you are trimming layers the process is different. I used to have layers and know how to do that - let me know if anyone wants to know. :)

Yea I'm trimming layers, she cut my hair into layers and I don't like it. It looks sexy if I leave my hair afro-curly but when straight it actually makes my hair look poofier! Your section by section method sounds good though kind of like Sista wit Real Hair's method http://www.youtube.com/watchv=CPTitwYvgoc&feature=related
thnks for laying it out step-by-step

I used to do S&D and clip the ends after twisting. Then I got the Split-Ender, which I use about every 4 months after a flat iron post relaxer. Your hair has to be straight and in small sections, so I do it as I flat iron.

I don't wear my hair straight (texlaxed) very often because I'm still afraid of heat despite all of my learning (and laziness, I was supposed to flat iron two weeks ago for a length check), lol, so my hair is actually very uneven right now.

LOL when ms. tiki said "the split ender" i thought this was a method, not an actual tool. sounds interesting

cherryhair123

LOL when ms. tiki said "the split ender" i thought this was a method, not an actual tool. sounds interesting[/QUOTE]
I just used mine it works great especially if you are a nervous beginner like me