Anybody trim their own natural hair?

ProdigalDiva

I've done bangs before, but my hair really needs a good trim. However, I've had some bad experiences with salons chopping my hair... is there anybody out there that trims their own hair? If so, what method are you using? Are you trimming while straight or curly? Thank ya LHCF fam!

Chameleonchick

I only trim my hair in small twists. This is the best way for me, because I do not wear my hair straight. I am not concerned with an even "hem line," so it works out for me.

Jewell

I only trim my hair in small twists. This is the best way for me, because I do not wear my hair straight. I am not concerned with an even "hem line," so it works out for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here! I'm hardly concerned with straight hair and when I do want a cute swinging bob I just slap on a wig! I section my hair in 4's then divide each section in 2 b.c. my hair is so thick. I trim while curly, of course.

Then, I trim a set amount from each small section. If I decide I need 1/2" off, I do the same amount all around. I dont need it to be perfect cuz I rarely wear it straight (maybe once per year, if that)

Whimsy

Ive trimmed on small twists and had decent results.

I tried trimming on larger twists last month and JACKED my ends up...uneven when straight but decent looking when curly, so if you wear it curly then no issue trimming on big twists then!

Trimmed today on straight hair, I flat iron, then pull back in a low pony, then slide the ouchless band straight down w/o moving my head or moving hte band to either side, then I snip how much I want. Then I do the same on each side.

I copycatted the technique of a woman in a YT vid. I couldnt find that vid now if i tried. Maybe someone else knows it... she was a white woman with super long stringy hair.

Whimsy

I used this method to trim my hair when still kinky. My hair isn't as long as hers but it still worked well, I wasn't going to straighten my hair just to trim it.

Oh man! I just watched the first bit of that vid and watching her combcombcombcombcombbrushbrushbrush that section so hard made me seize up!

but interesting technique otherwise. perfect if always wearing it curly!

sapphire18

I trim my own hair. I trim either curly or straight. I twist small sections of hair before trimming the individual splits. I have pictures and details on my blog.

curlyninjagirl

I also trim in small twists

I used this method to trim my hair when still kinky. My hair isn't as long as hers but it still worked well, I wasn't going to straighten my hair just to trim it.

I've used both of these methods. I prefer the second method except I do it on rollerset-stretched hair not curly. After I trim the ends of a section, I then go back and run though it S&D style for any splits I've missed using this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3C0ndGIZpg&feature=fvsr

silenttullip

My SO usually trims mine but when I have to trim mine I do it curly
I twist it and the ends that seem see through I clip then go through
and check for ssks and trim those

jennboo

Whatever you do, DON'T TRIM YOUR LOOSE NATURAL HAIR IN IT'S TEXTURED STATE YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Don't do it.

I lost over half of my length earlier this year due to my attempt at "trimming" my hair in it's afro state.

From now on, trims will be done on my hair while it is in mini twists. This was the method i used prior to my loose hair trimming fiasco, and it worked fine.

Afrobuttafly

Like others mentioned, I do what I have coined as the "Twist & Snip" method. © 2011 LOL
Twists all over then snip the very ends of each twist..DONE.

Missjae09

I trim my own hair... straight only. I'm too afraid to trim my hair when it's in it's curly state.
actually i have been considering triming while in twists.

I learned to trim by doing what I saw a stylist, who's skills I admire, do. So far so good! :)

Last edited:

greenandchic

I trim my hair in small amounts one section at a time.

* After washing, I pile a ton of conditioner on my hair.

* I section my hair in about 10 even sections and twist or clip together.

* Take each section and separate into smaller sections and clip each small section at a time. I never cut more than 1/4" off. The conditioner helps with the detangling process and keeping the cuts even. I don't straighten my hair so this works best for me.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Great thread. I'm trimming today with the Lunar Cycle. My hair is in twists, so I'll just snip the ends off.

WyrdWay

I use feye's trimming method, this is my favorite video from youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=L9Erf49Eyxc

I flat ironed showed my DH my length, then trimmed in the bathroom watching this on my phone and caim back out, and he asked how I got it so even! He had trouble believing I did it :D even though he was there! This wasa few mothes after my avatar pic, I got rid of my V and have been trimming off my bleached ends this year using this method.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I always trimmed, as needed, when my hair was in twists.

I flat ironed recently and got my best friend to trim about an inch so that it would be more even. I didn't trust myself to do a good job with that. And I trust a salon even less.

glamazon386

I did mine for the first time back in September. I straightened my hair and just kept cutting until all the SSKs were gone. I waited much too long to trim hence all the knots. I lost a lot of hair. I realized I need to do a better job of protecting my ends and trimming on a regular basis. I plan to trim again in the near future. My ends don't look bad as I've been wearing mostly protective styles since the last trim but I'm sure it won't hurt.

ebsalita

Great thread.

I've been trying to figure out how I will dust my hair - I thought I should braid it or twist it in sections and then just trim off a tiny amount on all the ends that protrude from each braid.

I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on...

AuNaturalMaMa

I always went to the salon. But after 5 months of not going. I did a Feye's self trim U shape. I blowdried my hair straight then pulled taught when trimming. I cut about 1/2 inch off. I plan on dusting regularly. Like every 8 weeks but only doing 1/4 inch.

SmilingElephant

Nice thread:)

I was gonna blowdry my hair straight and dust my ends that way. Feel like I'd wreck something trimming in twists. :lol: