How Do You Take Your Water?

DSP

We know drinking water is important to a healthy body and beautiful hair, but it's not always easy to drink 8+ glasses a day. What do you do to make sure you're drinking enough? My water drinking tricks:

1. I stopped drinking soda. I couldn't stop cold turkey, so I started buying 100% fruit juice and adding seltzer water to it for some fizz. Each week I gradually added more seltzer and less juice. Then I switched to plain seltzer with a twist of lime or lemon. It took a while, but now soda is way too sweet for me.

2. My best friend's mom is Japanese and she drinks hot water with lemon. She says it better for the stomach than ice water. I started drinking hot lemon water at night and first thing in the morning. I can drink lots of water this way, especially when it's chilly out.

3. I drink room temperature water throughout the day. Cold water quenches my thirst faster, so I end up drinking less than I need.

4. I use a straw. I know it sounds silly, but with a straw I find I don't gulp air while I'm drinking, so I can drink more water.

5. TMI: but I monitor my pee. If it's pale yellow, I'm drinking enough. If it gets darker, I immediately drink a glass of water.

6. I drink out of a pretty glass. It makes me feel fancy. If I want to feel extra fancy, I'll add lime or lemon-twist ice cubes.

So how do you get you daily water allowance?

sowhut

This is so good, Im definitely gonna borrow some of these ideas. I am not drinking enough water AT ALL:ohwell:

amwcah

Straight up! No tricks for me. Water is all I drink. I'm trying to drink at least 100 ounces per day since I'm taking so many vitamins/minerals.

Str8~Curly

I really don’t have many tricks but I do monitor my urine as a guide. I pretty much drink only water and green tea, so I have stopped craving for other beverages a long time ago. I found that in the beginning I had to consciously remind myself to drink enough water, now it is starting to become habit. I find that reviewing all of the benefits of drinking water from time to time to keeps me motivated.

rootdeep

Great tips!! I inhale water all day everyday.

(1) I monitor my urine
(2) I drink 8 ounces of water PER vitamin to make sure it digests in my body at a good rate
(3) I drink water after my meals to flush out the sodium in most foods
(4) I try to drink half my body weight in water each day.

GoingNatural

I drink room tempature water

I drink it out of the squeeze sports bottles (I currently use a deer park one) I found it easier to drink it if i could squeeze it in my mouth rather than just gulping

i drink my first bottle before i start my work i drink two consecutively at lunch and one at the ned of the day.

Then i drink one in the evening at home

Divine Inspiration

I don't use many tricks anymore because I've been consistent with it for so long, but here are a few things I do:

1. I have a little water with breakfast. If I don't, it's tough to get it in for some reason because I can't bring myself to have that first glass. So, I'm sure to have at least 8 oz. before 10 AM.

2. I'm sure to have at LEAST half my weight in oz. every day.

3. I prefer room temp water so I keep bottles in the cupboard so I don't have to wait for them to "warm up" when I'm ready to drink it.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Take your weight and round UP to the nearest whole number. Then, 1/2 that number. That's how much water you should be drinking. For example, if you weight 150 lbs, 1/2 of that is 75; therefore, drink 75 ounces of water daily. Especially important during the Summer.

If my pee-pee is a dark yellow, it usually indicates dehydration or not enough water. If it's a very pale yellow, then I know I'm doing the right thing.

I'm not sure if someone started a water challenge yet or not, but we oughtta think about it, especially for the coming months of Summer.

ETA: I've heard that drinking cold water does wonders to curb appetite for us ladies trying to shed some pounds. Again, it's especially important during the Summer. Foods high in water like many fruits also help. I can get full on watermelons and grapes.

DSP

rootdeep said:
Great tips!! I inhale water all day everyday.

(1) I monitor my urine
(2) I drink 8 ounces of water PER vitamin to make sure it digests in my body at a good rate
(3) I drink water after my meals to flush out the sodium in most foods
(4) I try to drink half my body weight in water each day.

Girl, you are gangsta!

***Toy-Pisces***

I don't have any tricks!!!

I drink at least 64 oz of water a day.

I fill a water bottle up with spring water through out the day.(Aquafina is the best!!!!)

If my urine is dark in color than I know that I need more water.

I only drink water and protein shakes. (Whey protein from GNC mixed with water and a banana)

To be honest there has been a couple of days I didn't not drink 64 oz of water. :( I don't beat myself up over it. I just make sure I get it in from then on.

MizAvalon

amwcah said:
Straight up! No tricks for me. Water is all I drink. I'm trying to drink at least 100 ounces per day since I'm taking so many vitamins/minerals.

Same here. I just drink it.

newflowers

I buy a carton of the 1.5 liters of water at Trader Joe's and put it under my desk in my lcassroom. I drink one bottle everyday. I open it when I get to school in the morning and I'm usually finished by the end of lunch.

preciousjewel76

I :love: water! I drink at least 80 ounces per day, if not more. My routine:

In the morning, before breakfast, I have 12 oz. of water mixed with fresh lemon juice and MSM powder. I sweeten this with a packet or two of stevia. Honestly, I don't count this MSM-lemonade as part of my daily water intake, since it has "stuff" in it:lol:. I usually chase this down with more plain water.

Once I get to work, I fill up my 16 oz. cup with water. I drink at least 3 of these during the work day (totalling 48 oz.)

At home, I fill up a big 24 oz. tumbler with water and sip on that. I usually have 1.5 to 2 of these big glasses of water before I go to bed.

Like many of you, I prefer my water to be room temp. If it's too cold, I can't drink it right away.:look:

Happy chugging, ladies!:alcoholic

Gryphyn

just_DSP said:
We know drinking water is important to a healthy body and beautiful hair, but it's not always easy to drink 8+ glasses a day. What do you do to make sure you're drinking enough? My water drinking tricks:

1. I stopped drinking soda. I couldn't stop cold turkey, so I started buying 100% fruit juice and adding seltzer water to it for some fizz. Each week I gradually added more seltzer and less juice. Then I switched to plain seltzer with a twist of lime or lemon. It took a while, but now soda is way too sweet for me.

2. My best friend's mom is Japanese and she drinks hot water with lemon. She says it better for the stomach than ice water. I started drinking hot lemon water at night and first thing in the morning. I can drink lots of water this way, especially when it's chilly out.

3. I drink room temperature water throughout the day. Cold water quenches my thirst faster, so I end up drinking less than I need.

4. I use a straw. I know it sounds silly, but with a straw I find I don't gulp air while I'm drinking, so I can drink more water.

5. TMI: but I monitor my pee. If it's pale yellow, I'm drinking enough. If it gets darker, I immediately drink a glass of water.

6. I drink out of a pretty glass. It makes me feel fancy. If I want to feel extra fancy, I'll add lime or lemon-twist ice cubes.

Those are some gret tips! There's nothing special about how I take my water. I just drink it when I feel like it.:ohwell:

Isis

just_DSP said:

I've been drinking lots of water daily since high school days.

I too drink my water room temperature to very warm. I've learned the body processes the water much better at room temperature than cold.

I drink about a glass each hour, tapering off towards the evening, which really helps me keep track. I know to drink at least 1/2 my weight in ounces of water daily and this makes it easy. :)

I keep a gallon of water in my car at all times, just in case I run out or forget my water bottle,

Cichelle

Water is pretty much the only thing I drink on a daily basis and I just drink it. I've been drinking it exclusively for so long that it's easy. I do like my water room temp, though. I never could get into drinking very cold water.

xxxxcherishxxxx

Well I'm on Weight Watchers so water is very important in losing weight and not losing any points. I have never really been a soda drinker but I LOVE juice. So I have stopped drinking juice, except when I drink red wine I mix some grape juice with it which is not often.

My secret is using the Crystal Light packets in the 16.9 oz water (Dasani)bottles. I make sure to have at least 3-4 bottles a day. My favorite is Raspberry Ice flavor. I put one packet in or a half a packet for a more diluted flavor. I have noticed my skin clearing up and looking brighter just from drinking water.

Nita_h

I can't reach 64oz without my Wild Strawberry:p Crystal Light.
I only drink milk and water. My skin loves it, I don't remember last time I had a bump

Last edited:

nissi

i agree with drinking water out of a pretty container. I have the cutest pink 24 oz. sports bottle from Vitamin Shoppe, and it has a straw mechanism, so all i have to do it suck it down! :lol:

also, here's more motivation for us to keep drinking up! my friend's sister never drank water (only soda) and at age 23 the doctor told her that her that her kidneys were functioning at something like 50-60%! :eek: she is also diabetic, so ladies, it's about more than pretty skin! :yep: it's about LIFE!

Mook's hair

I drink a lot of water. & occasionally green tea or apple juice.
I can't drink it cold though. Cold juice yes. but water has to be around room temperature.

Golong

I was a hawiian punch & soda addict but I switch up between water and green tea. Since I cut out the sugar drinks I have dropped 12lbs :perplexed . Thats not a good thing for because i'm 5'11.( I hate being tall & too skinny) So i mix in ENSURE as part of breakfast to maintain/gain weight.

*Michelle*

Divine Inspiration said:
I don't use many tricks anymore because I've been consistent with it for so long, but here are a few things I do:

1. I have a little water with breakfast. If I don't, it's tough to get it in for some reason because I can't bring myself to have that first glass. So, I'm sure to have at least 8 oz. before 10 AM.

2. I'm sure to have at LEAST half my weight in oz. every day.

3. I prefer room temp water so I keep bottles in the cupboard so I don't have to wait for them to "warm up" when I'm ready to drink it.

Me too (except the breakfast part). I started to drinking it for my skin many years ago...it is now second nature. Water is the basically the only thing I drink, absolutely NO caffeine for me...I do drink OJ and Soymilk though.

DSP

Golong said:
I was a hawiian punch & soda addict but I switch up between water and green tea. Since I cut out the sugar drinks I have dropped 12lbs :perplexed . Thats not a good thing for because i'm 5'11.( I hate being tall & too skinny) So i mix in ENSURE as part of breakfast to maintain/gain weight.

It's better that you're drinking a supplement instead of getting all those empty calories from sugar drinks. I bet it's done wonders for your overall health as well as your hair.

hottestdiva19

amwcah said:

Water is the only thing I drink too. People look at me like im crazy when I say it but I find that if I drink anything else I miss out on my water intake.

DarkAngell

Something i do the same.

-I monitor my pee. should be clear.
-Room temp is better for me as well. Cold water bothers my teeth and also gives me a headache.
-I find drinking out of a bottle makes it easier for me.something as silly as filling a glass up with water gets tedious to me. not to mention i can carry my closed bottle anywhere. but carrying around a cup of water is not always so convenient. so i have 25 oz bottle. that i carry around with me.
-I only allow myself to take my MSM when i put it in the bottle full of water. I take my msm twice a day which means no matter what....i KNOW i have to finish it. (thats 50 ounces in a day right there)
-Maybe this is silly but I take big gulps & squeeze the water out @ the same time. Usually whatever i drink i take little sips at a time. Everytime i go to take a sip i take a few big gulps instead. Its gone before i know it.

Dont know about you all...but i been taking 80 ounces a day for a couple of weeks now. At first i felt water logged...but now ive gotten so used to it. The other day i slacked off and only had 50 ounces and i felt the difference big time(this coming from someone who barely even had one glass a day.)

beaux cheveux

just_DSP said:

You seem to be doing pretty good. But be sure no to overdo it , too much water before meal time can water down stomach acids resulting in indigestion, gas, bloating, and blots of acne. You seem to have in down pat though. I'll try using some of your ideas.