How do you straighten your hair....

What is your preferred method for straightening your hair?

• Rollerset and silk wrap

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Rollerset and flat iron

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Blow dry and silk wrap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blow dry and flat iron

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • Air dry and silk wrap

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Air dy and flat iron

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beaute Noire

I have never heard of argan oil. I'll have to do a search on that one. I just started using Aussie products and so far my hair loves the Aussie Moist conditioner.

^^:yep: Same here and my hair devours Aussie Moist Cond and 3 Min Miracle :lick:. Initially I was using it (3min Miracle) without heat, but once I started with my heat-cap I realized what all the rave for this product was about :clap:

And I recently started adding 1 drop of peppermint oil to Aussie Moist shampoo just to intensify the tingly feeling and my scalp is lovin it! :bouncy:

I've actually been adding peppermint oil to ALL of my Poos. :drunk: I've become obsessed with the stuff but I think I'm gonna switch to cinnamon oil for the winter months...

* Oh and Argan oil is amazing on damp hair, before styling...just a dime sized amount though. I've also used it as a prepoo, but I like it the best before bdry/flatironing.

I've learned all of these tips from the lovely ladies of LHCF of course!

Beaute Noire

I chose airdry then flat iron but wanted to mention I airdry with Curlformers to stretch my hair.

I use John Frieda Frizz-Ease Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray to coat my hair well section by section before doing a wet-to-dry press.

Then I apply John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum Thermal Protection Formula to small sections at a time and pass the flat iron over one more time to seal.

^ :cup:Love that stuff....I always come back to it because it's never sticky, nor does it weigh my hair down...great stuff

doll-baby

I normally don't use heat on my hair but recently I bought a 1" ceramic flat iron and it straightened my (4 something) new growth relaxer straight (total shocker) ! Before I straightened I let my hair air dry. I have tried the silk wrap method before but it didn't turn out like I planned... I need to practice rollersetting.

KiSseS03

When I was fully relaxed I would roller-set, and then wrap or even just bun my hair for a little while and have silky straight hair.

Now that I'm nearly 1 year post, I roller-set and then flat-iron just the roots.

I use the Rusk Sensories flat-iron, and if I do use heat-protectant (rare) I use Fantasia.

jasminea

I rollerset and then use a scarf to flatten out my ng.

eta: I voted other.

I am going to try this next time I rollerset. Don't know if my ng will flatten out with just a scarf with me stretching up to 12 weeks at a time. This week I rollerset and flat ironed the roots which came out ok but a little flat. I like swing and bounce, so got to figure out how much product to use.

kblc06

I'm natural (my siggy is a pic of rollerset + silk wrap). It usually does the trick when I just want a straight hair fix without the damage. However, when I want my hair very straight, I rollerset and flatiron w/ my FHI Platform or Maxiglide. I use Cantu shea butter leave-in, lacio lacio, and Chi silk infusion for my rollersets. I also use Chi Iron Guard as an extra heat protectant

jasminea

I'm natural (my siggy is a pic of rollerset + silk wrap). It usually does the trick when I just want a straight hair fix without the damage. However, when I want my hair very straight, I rollerset and flatiron w/ my FHI Platform or Maxiglide. I use Cantu shea butter leave-in, lacio lacio, and Chi silk infusion for my rollersets. I also use Chi Iron Guard as an extra heat protectant

Wow, you hair looks great in your sig. I have not heard much about the Chi Iron Guard. My hair is very fine and the chi silk infusion make it flat. Will have to look into the iron guard. I wish Chi sampled their products!

LadyLeoSmile

I'm not sure about all the flat iron brands I've seen mentioned here, but when I straighten my hair I usually air dry then flat iron with the Instyler. I just started using it, but I love the way it makes my hair feel.

Prudent1

When I do straighten my hair, I use H2-Ion leave in and Aphoghee's keratin and green tea restructurizer on wet hair. I seal with an oil blend I concoct (EVO, coconut, jojoba, tea tree, shea butter, Ojon restorative treatment, and grapeseed) then blowdry. Then I flat iron with my Jilbere (ceramic/ ionic).

Lovestyr

I like to blow dry then flat iron my hair. I only wear my hair down three time sa yr. So, its okay for my hair to tolerate such heat.:look:

Ms_Twana

I've tried the silk wraps and it just doesn't seem to last very long on my hair. My ends dont get sealed enough and my hair starts to poof up after a while. It also doesn't get the new growth to lay down. I go 3 months between relaxer retouches.

I either rollerset/flatiron or airdry/flatiron depending on how much time I have to finish my hair. My leave in is Rusk Str8 and for heat protection I use Silk Elements spray all over and a tiny bit of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum on the ends only.

How often do you flat iron?

I voted "Other." I'm texlaxed and straighten my hair 4 times a year, after touchups. I rollerset on 2" (gray) magnetic rollers, airdry and/or bonnet dry, crosswrap and tie down with a silk scarf.

How do you wear your hair when it's not straight?

I chose airdry then flat iron but wanted to mention I airdry with Curlformers to stretch my hair.

I use John Frieda Frizz-Ease Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray to coat my hair well section by section before doing a wet-to-dry press.

Then I apply John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum Thermal Protection Formula to small sections at a time and pass the flat iron over one more time to seal.

What size curlformers do you use?

Usually air dry to about 70 percent , then blow dry fully( no brushing) dry then flat iron with my Sedu.. I use about a dime sized amount of Chi Silk Infusion on my wet/damp hair beforehand.

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

The narrowest. I got both the green and blue coz I needed ten packs and they didn't have enough of either so got half and half.

I've been thinking about getting some again. (I know after the huge deal I made over returning them, then you made me feel bad. LOL.) I want to try the extra-wide ones to see if they'll have the same effect as rollersetting.

Ms Kain

I am a newbie relaxed head who has been wearing a lot of curly styles over the last 6 months but want to do some straight styles for holiday parties and other upcoming family events.

I would love some feedback on how everyone straightens their hair. I am a recovering heat junkie and have been leary about using my flat iron again. I see a lot of ladies on youtube doing silk/saran wraps after rollersets but have not read very much about it on this board.

Does anyone on the board still do silk wraps and if so what products do you put on your hair to wrap?

Also for those who prefer to flat iron, which flat iron do you use, what products do you use to protect your hair?

Thanks for any replies!

My hair started to get healthier when I started doing roller sets followed by Saran/ silk wraps to straighten my hair mainly because I didn't have to pick up a hot brush or a hair dryer until well into my stretch! :yep: I learned both of these methods by watching Macherieamour's roller set video and her Saran/silk wrap video. She actually sells her roller set video so it's not free but I still think she has the silk wrap video up on YouTube.

Even though I learned those methods from Macherie, I have since found another roller setting video as well as a silk wrap video that uses another method that seems to be a lot easier than the typical Saran/ silk wrap.
Both the rollerset video and the silk wrap video is by one of my latest favorite YouTube hair Diva, Mrs. Raines. The roller set video goes pretty fast (she didn't post it as a tutorial) but if you pause it after every few steps it serves as a better roller set tutorial than most I've seen on Youtube. Here's the link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeygBFOjF-Y

There’s also her Saran wrap video. Now this one in my opinion is a more practical method than buying a roll of saran wrap. It’s going to be labeled 5 faves and dislikes or something like that but eventually she shows you how to do her version of the silk/ saran wrap method. Here’s the link on that…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbptlkhXDcY

Also remember that when you wrap frequently you might have to change the direction of the wrap or it may eventually cause breakage. I’ve also found that once I get to a certain point in my stretch (when I have a significant amount of new growth) I can no longer wrap it using a paddle brush because my NG becomes too thick. That’s when I simply do a roller set and tap my roots with a blow dryer.

Hope some of this helps!

~ JB

Nonie

I've been thinking about getting some again. (I know after the huge deal I made over returning them, then you made me feel bad. LOL.) I want to try the extra-wide ones to see if they'll have the same effect as rollersetting.

G'wan :poke: Get 'em! Get 'em!

They might give a rollersetting effect. :yep: I got the narrow ones because I didn't think my hair was long enough to create spirals with big ones. But I do think a rollerset look could be achieved with them. Just get lots, coz I think the narrower the sections, the better the results. Let me know if you use heat. I haven't done it with heat so I'm curious to know how that works for others.

karamelkitti

After running some Rusk Smoother Leave-In Conditioner through my hair, I add IC Straightening Serum & Spray to each section, then blow dry using an Andis ceramic ionic blow dryer. I use a Sedu 1-1/2 " ceramic ionic tourmaline iron(I use this because it doesn't catch and tear my hair, plus it straightens UNBELIEVABLY well). I haven't had any relaxers in 6 years(other than an edge perm every 6 months to keep the curls laying down on the sides and nape of my neck). I have a problem with curl reversion in damp weather, so using the 2 smoothers help to keep my hair straight even in the dampest weather.

mzsophisticated26

I only straighten my texlax hair maybe once a month. I wash and DC apply elasta qp h-two leave in, a little lacio lacio, silk elements heat protectant blow dry with my salon tools ionic dryer using the pik attachment then flat iron with CHI iron. I only tried rollersetting once and it was a disaster also my roots were puffy and I did not get the 'swang' like I do when blowdrying. I plan on revisiting rollersetting with my next texlax

Last edited:

jasminea

My hair started to get healthier when I started doing roller sets followed by Saran/ silk wraps to straighten my hair mainly because I didn't have to pick up a hot brush or a hair dryer until well into my stretch! :yep: I learned both of these methods by watching Macherieamour's roller set video and her Saran/silk wrap video. She actually sells her roller set video so it's not free but I still think she has the silk wrap video up on YouTube.

Even though I learned those methods from Macherie, I have since found another roller setting video as well as a silk wrap video that uses another method that seems to be a lot easier than the typical Saran/ silk wrap.
Both the rollerset video and the silk wrap video is by one of my latest favorite YouTube hair Diva, Mrs. Raines. The roller set video goes pretty fast (she didn't post it as a tutorial) but if you pause it after every few steps it serves as a better roller set tutorial than most I've seen on Youtube. Here's the link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeygBFOjF-Y

There’s also her Saran wrap video. Now this one in my opinion is a more practical method than buying a roll of saran wrap. It’s going to be labeled 5 faves and dislikes or something like that but eventually she shows you how to do her version of the silk/ saran wrap method. Here’s the link on that…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbptlkhXDcY

Also remember that when you wrap frequently you might have to change the direction of the wrap or it may eventually cause breakage. I’ve also found that once I get to a certain point in my stretch (when I have a significant amount of new growth) I can no longer wrap it using a paddle brush because my NG becomes too thick. That’s when I simply do a roller set and tap my roots with a blow dryer.

Hope some of this helps!

~ JB

Thanks for the great youtube video links! I have pretty much mastered rollersetting my hair, but the "cheater silk wrap" she does in this video is great! The thought of trying to get saran wrap around my head was interesting, but this way of doing it seems much easier. This past week I rollerset and flat-ironed which turned out well but a little flat. Next week I plan on trying a "cheaters" silk wrap.