Calling all ladies who straighten their own hair....

Brownshugaz

I divide my hair in sections. I have a part in the back that's divided into small thin parts. I use a heat protectant and coconut oil for shine and moisture. HTH

Lucia

Brownshugaz said:
I divide my hair in sections. I have a part in the back that's divided into small thin parts. I use a heat protectant and coconut oil for shine and moisture. HTH
I do this too, coconut oil after I'm done straightening, I just a light heat protectant to flat iron. hth

camellia

I divide my hair into very small sections and apply Redken Heat Glide. I do the nape and back of my head first because my arms get tired.

RabiaElaine

I'm not natural...I'm texlaxed. I divide my hair into small parts because you only need to pass the flat iron over the section once if the part is small.

I apply my leave in (NTM) and WGO (sparingly).

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I start at the nape and do small 1" wide sections. I use Beyond the Zone heat protectant for shine or WGO.

kristina

just echoing- small sections, and start from the nape. i feel the section with my fingers so i can guide the flat iron, even though i can't see the back of my head. you could also put a mirror in back of you (and in front) so you can see and ensure you are getting the sections.
my products are marcel curl wax (just a baby dab at the root to prevent reversion) and ic heat protectant.

Brownshugaz

Also the maxiglide helps because I can hold it in almost any position without burning myself. And considering how clumsy I am this is necessary safety measure

YasmanSoBe

I divide my hair into 6 sections. I apply a light coat of either Redken Heat Glide Chi Silk Infusion to each section. I start from the nape and work up until I'm done. I'm not a natural (well, not yet; transitioning), but I've always liked ORS Olive Oil Sheen Spray for shine.

ChocoKitty

I divide my hair into about 6 bantu knots. Then as I straighten each bantu gets divided into 3 sections. In the past I used Elasta QP Silk. These days I've been using a tiny bit of Aveda Humectant on the ends. I find the less product the more shine.

camellia

I use a LOT of heat protectant. About a good handful on all of my hair. I like my hair completely coated with the silicone before I begin using heat.

ms-tyler

I am a natural and I spray Aveda Brillant heat protectant and uv shield in my hair while it's wet, then blow dry or air dry into the hair.. I press my hair in 4 sections and flat iron the same way.