4a/4b naturals, What do you straighten your hair with?

luvovcandy

Do you use a flat iron or hot comb?
If you use a flat iron, what brand?
What products do you use in addition to the heat?
How often do you straighten your hair?

Thanks!

ms.blue

I use the sedu 1.5 in to flatiron my hair. The products I use are chi silk infusion and got2b straight lotion for coarse hair. This year I straighten my hair 4x (3 flatironing & 1 dom. Blowout)

ilah

I use an Electric Hot Comb with KeraCare pressing cream when i straighten. I love the results that I would get. I would only straighten my hair once or twice a month and bun my hair if I'm not doing the occasional rollerset. The Hot Comb is an Andis 38300 and I purchased it from Amazon. To keep my hair happy I use tea tree oil on my scalp (love that tingle) and various ORS products (Hair Mayo, Olive Oil, Hair Fertilizer, Silk and Vitamin E Oil)

Nonie

Do you use a flat iron or hot comb?

Flat iron.

If you use a flat iron, what brand?

Babyliss Pro Ceramic @ 230 degrees Celsius (446 degrees Fahrenheit)

What products do you use in addition to the heat?

I think my whole prep started from DCing with a strengthening conditioner (GPB) and shampooing off with a strengthening shampoo (Garnier Fructis) then conditioning with CHI Infra Thermal Protective Treatment. Then I stretched my hair w/o heat using Curlformers. Then I would take a stretched section, spray with John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Spray to wet it for my Wet-to-Dry flat-iron pass. Then I sealed it with John Frieda Frizz Ease Thermal Protection Serum for my second pass.

How often do you straighten your hair?

Seems it's once every two years or so, but I really don't have a schedule. I just do it when I feel like it. Did it in April 2009. Prior to that, did it at the end of 2006. And prior to that December 2004. That was the first time I straightened my natural hair since my transition from relaxed hair which started in August 2001.

nikki2229

I use a flat iron.
FHI Runway or Solia.
I use it 375 or 390 degrees.
I use CHI silk infusion or IC Hair Protector (spray or serum).
I flat iron my hair once every 2 or 3 months.
I flat iron my daughters hair every 1 to 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Diamond75

I use a flat iron.
Hot Tools @ 350-380 degrees
I use Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Relaxing Balm when I blow dry and PM's Super Skinny Serum when I flat iron
I use heat almost every day, unless I'm wearing it curly

Missjae09

When I straighten my hair I shampoo with E'tae shampoo can condish.. I use a flat iron FHI... which I love love love! My hair is course but I think that hot combs are too harsh for my hair I think my hair responds better to ceramics.

Oh! after I shampoo I will put Design Essentials silk polish (forget the exact name) but that works nicely before I blow dry and press. In fact I'll be straightening today (my one freebie since i'm participating in the no heat challenge). Until this summer I've kept my hair straight for the most part. I'm newly 100% natural, so as of this summer I've only straightened for special occasions.