How do you properly comb wet hair?

NicBenny

I apologize in advance if this has been previously addressed; however I did not find what I wanted to know when I performed a search.

At any rate, I am new to taking care of my own hair. I have been salon dependent for many many many years. Now, that I've made the decision to transition, I want to learn and get to know my own hair.

With that said, before two months ago, I hadn't washed my own hair in like 8 years because I frequent the salon. Anyway, I have the type of hair that must be combed through after the DC has set because it is usually a tangled mess after shampooing.

I was chatting with my cousin yesterday and we were discussing hair care. She told me that I was combing my hair out incorrectly when it's wet. She said that I should start combing out the ends first then work my way up to the roots and that combing from root to tip will pull my hair out. Do ya'll agree? I comb from the roots sometimes and other times from the tip, depending on the section. The washer at my salon sometimes comb from the roots. Btw, I always use a wide-tooth comb.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

I definitely go ends to root.

going root to ends will mash and pack tangles together causing more stress and pulling out more hair than necessary.

and i only use a wide tooth comb. I don't mess with small tooth combs at all.

also go in sections so you don't go crazy.

Kudos to you for taking care of your own hair. go girl

Yep, your cousin is right. I'll add that you should comb hair while damp, not wet--the hair's much more fragile in that state--and only after it is coated with a product that gives slippage like conditioner, a leave-in, or oils. I find it helps immensely for me to detangle my hair before I shampoo and DC.

Are you natural or relaxed?

Yep, your cousin is right. I'll add that you should comb hair while damp, not wet--the hair's much more fragile in that state--and only after it is coated with a product that gives slippage like conditioner, a leave-in, or oils. I find it helps immensely for me to detangle my hair before I shampoo and DC.

Are you natural or relaxed?

I am transitioning from relaxed to natural, I am very much in the early stages of transitioning. My last relaxer was in March 2010. I've been relaxed for 10 years and my hair texture has changed dramatically. :nono: I can post pics of before (w.out relaxer) and after relaxer pics so you can get a sense of how my hair is when wet or semi-wet.

I use conditioner + water to help me comb my hair out.

I can't tell if my natural pic posted, but it is the curly pic with the ponytail.

The other pics was taken last month, that's my relaxed (though transitioning) hair wet.

Attachments

• Relaxed Wet, Out.jpg
    Relaxed Wet, Out.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Relaxed Wet, Root.jpg
    Relaxed Wet, Root.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 34
  • Relaxed Wet, Pony.jpg
    Relaxed Wet, Pony.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 35
Relaxed: I don't comb my hair wet at all. I detangle with a spray on detangler and get the sheds out before I wash. Once dry, I can detangle without the detangler and set on rollers.

Natural: I combed wet from tip to root.

Either way, always from tip to root.

From tip to root while wet or damp. Lose a lot less hair this way. Sometimes it helps if I use my comb like a pick on my ends and then start combing.

Is detangling before shampoo and dc absolutely the best way to go? Does anyone do it after? Gosh, Ihope that wasn't a stupid question.

Is detangling before shampoo and dc absolutely the best way to go? Does anyone do it after? Gosh, Ihope that wasn't a stupid question.

I would insist that yes, it's better to detangle before you shampoo. Getting hair wet when it's tangled up is just a recipe for disaster IMO. When I have had tangled hair (like that one time I was too lazy to retwist a twistout or braid the hair and went to sleep with it loose, and woke up to a tangled mess), I added conditioner to my dry hair and finger detangled it--a tip I learned from Happily Me. And then, only when my hair was fully detangled, did I put it into plaits and shampoo it.

Relaxed: I don't comb my hair wet at all. I detangle with a spray on detangler and get the sheds out before I wash. Once dry, I can detangle without the detangler and set on rollers.

Natural: I combed wet from tip to root.

Either way, always from tip to root.

@ bolded: Exactly. I'm relaxed and in the early stages of my HHJ I was mimicing what I seen on the boards: detangling under the shower head with a cheap conditioner in my hair. I loss googlobs of hair. I now detangle in front of the mirror in sections on 50% damp hair and I do a light detangling session on dry hair before washing as well to get the shed hair out.

At first I felt silly for asking this question, but I'm glad I did. :yep: Since I was a little girl, my hair would get combed out while wet with conditioner because it was easier to comb that way.

I always wondered why I lost so much hair while combing while wet, now I know why. I will definitely comb it when damp and see how that works.

Thanks ladies.

In addition to what's been said, get yourself a seamless comb. Regular combs can cut and shred your hair strands giving you frizzy and damaged hair.

I'm notorious for wet combing. I'm trying to do better.

Back