How do you moisturize hair in braids?

J

JenniferMD

I recently got braids in my hair for the first time and I want to make sure I'm keeping my hair moisturized so it won't get dry and immediately break after the braids are taken out. When my hair wasn't in braids I moisturized with scurl everyday. Should I still use the scurl on the braids and not just spary it on my scalp?

Well I moisturize my braids the same way I do when my hair isn't in braids. I alternate with what I use though. I used spray S-curl on them every night and tie them down. Now I'm back and forth between Shea Butter and WooJee cream. I still do washes 2x a week (1 CO and 1 Shampoo) I still deep condition and do hot oil treatments. It may be overkill but I treat my braids (the part that has my hair in it) the same way I treat my hair when it's out.

Get african royal braid spray. It is like a leave in. Furthermore, you might wanna visit Robin Wood's site growafrohairlong.com for detailed instructions on moisturizing hair while in braids.

Hey JennMD,

I am S-curling my box braids twice a day and I'm loving how it's working out. I spray the full length and the new growth. My hair loved S-curl for the twist-out so I know it's okay to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Ennyaa said:
Well I moisturize my braids the same way I do when my hair isn't in braids. I alternate with what I use though. I used spray S-curl on them every night and tie them down. Now I'm back and forth between Shea Butter and WooJee cream. I still do washes 2x a week (1 CO and 1 Shampoo) I still deep condition and do hot oil treatments. It may be overkill but I treat my braids (the part that has my hair in it) the same way I treat my hair when it's out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Ennyaa, I love your method! I don't think you can go wrong. What kind of braids do you have? I would love to deep condition mine but I'm quite sure I won't be able to get it all out.

Thanks, i'm super paranoiod over here with these braids, I'm going crazy. I've had them for a week and 4 days and I don't know what to do with them. They just seem so BIG on my head, I never wear them down because I think I'll look like Milly-Vanilly. I'll get some of that african royal spray and buy some more scurl, I don't know about the tie-down thing...they're too BIG for that!

debyjay I have small individual braids that I do myself. Usually I do them really long (like waist length.) But my latest ones I used human hair and only braided to beneath my own hair then stopped the braid with some krazy glue. I don't worry about the conditioner not coming out because I rinse/wash my hair so often. Also once I take out my braids I usually do a clarifying shampoo to get rid of any buildup. There are pics of the way my braids look in my journal.

I used African Royale BRX braid spray, but this time around I mostly used Organic Root Stimulator Shea butter lotion along with Organic Root Stimulator Nature's Shine...it added extra sheen to the braids after moisturizing.

I went to the growafrohairlong and it was great information there on keeping the hair moisturized while in braids. I'm going to buy some african royale and leave-in conditioner today after work so I can wash my hair this weekend. Thanks

i use s-crul mixed w/water to spray on my scalp while in the braids every day 1-2 times. I use Sta Sof Frp for my braids. It really helps in detangling them. I am soo happy. Hope it does well on my wavy kanekolon hair i'll put in later.

i use s-crul mixed w/water to spray on my scalp while in the braids every day 1-2 times. I use Sta Sof Frp for my braids. It really helps in detangling them. I am soo happy. Hope it does well on my wavy kanekolon hair i'll put in when i braid my hair again.

hi ennyaa, how do you make it to dry your hair if you wash it so often? I am in braids and I´m having a hard time to wash them every week because they are soo heavy and keep dripping for some hours.

I spray my braids nightly w/ a mixture of moisturizer and distilled water and tie them down after massaging it in a bit. I try to do a weekly co-wash and it is fine so far (6 weeks).

Hi sereia. Actually my hair dries faster in braids than when it's loose. I think the reason for it is the way that I do my braids. First, they are pretty small and as tight as I can get them. That's partly why I'm so aggressive with moisture. Second I don't add a lot of extra hair weight to my extensions. In fact if I see that I have a section that gets fatter than the braid would be if it were my own hair I take some hair out of that braid. This way my braids are very light and often look natural. They actually blow in the wind they're so light.

Now of course I can control all of this because I do it myself. But even when I was getting my braids in the salon I made it very clear that I didn't want my braids too fat.

When my hair is not in braids the roots are so thick that if I put it into a ponytail right away 2 days could go by and the inside still wouldn't be completely dry.
ohwell.gif
Now that can be a little frustrating.

Back