• Trim before

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Trim after

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

RubyWoo

Hey ladies! :) I'm planning to get braids and employ the crown and glory technique. I wanted to know what is better for the health of my hair and ends; trimming before or after braids? I was thinking of holding off until after I take out the braids but I'm not sure if I would be causing more damage(split ends) by waiting. Would keeping my hair moisturized and conditioned in braids prevent split ends? I really do need a trim. I'm planning to cut at least 1/2"-1" inch. All advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

sareca

If your ends are blunt they'll stick out of the braid. The braider will be tempted to cut them off.

ETA: Don't let them run a lighter over your hair either. :nono:

Last edited:

Cholet112

I got my ends trimmed 2 weeks ago. I feel like going in healthy would give me a better outcome. Also, Patient1 did my braids on friday and she didnt clean me up which was greatly appreciated b/c most people do trim the hair that sticks out. I will be posting pics tomorrow.

cutiebe2

I did it before because
1. You don't want uneven ends sticking out when the braids start to get old (although Sareca made a good point about blunt end)
2. I had a better idea of my goal growth for the braid period because I knew my real legth without the ends I was going to cut off. My hair looked so healthy when I went to braid it.
3. it will help with before and after pictures if you take them right after trimming:p

rootdeep

I got braids last week and the lady came at me with the lighter and I fell out the chair running from her. LOL!!!!! It was quite hilarious! LOL

But I say get your trim after....

RubyWoo

Thank you ladies! I've decided to hold off on my trim and just trim afterwards. Thanks again!:)

Hair Peace

sareca said:
If your ends are blunt they'll stick out of the braid. The braider will be tempted to cut them off.

ETA: Don't let them run a lighter over your hair either. :nono:

Okay...why not? :confused:

rootdeep

Because you're potentially burning your hair as well. You dont want to burn your hair out and they dont care as long as you pay.