How do you keep your new growth under control?

Glib Gurl

Okay ladies. I need your best tips, hints, product suggestions, and tricks to help keep the new growth under control! If I'm gonna stretch, I'm gonna need help in keeping the hairline smooth!

Thank you!

(BTW, I am a 4a/b hairtype . . . .)

KathyMay

When I am wearing my hair out and dealing with new growth, I CW and use Silicon Mix as my deep conditioner and air dry with a leave in and amla oil. I will switch this up when I get tired of doing the same thing

Glib Gurl

When I am wearing my hair out and dealing with new growth, I CW and use Silicon Mix as my deep conditioner and air dry with a leave in and amla oil. I will switch this up when I get tired of doing the same thing

So, airdrying doesn't cause your hair/new growth to "puff" out? That's typically what happens with me . . . .

KathyMay

If it puffs up the leave in and amla oil AND a scarf will lay the NG down, sometimes I have to call the re enfrocement of Stiff head and grease

Britt

I keep it under control by relaxing it :lol: ....
Since my hair texture has changed and become more coarse, I relax much more often. For 9 years, I was able to relax every 16 wks+ ... not anymore :nono: . I can't even dream of going past week 8. All the grease, not combing, moisturizing, etc... will not help me. I just go and get a relaxer. When my hair texture was a soft 3c/4a stretching relaxers was a breeze. Not anymore....

adf23

A hairline tip which seems to work for alot of people (including me) is- after wash/cowash, apply your leaveins, smooth hair back with widetooth comb (I also use a toothbrush) and wrap a silk or satin scarf around your hairline/top of head. Keep the scarf on for about 30 minutes while you do other things.

The scarf really does a good job at smoothing your hairline. I am 5.5 months post and it still works really well.

As far as the rest of your new growth, IMO pre-poos even for just 10 min (on dry hair) with oil and or cheapy conditioner are a miracle:yep:. I focus the oil/condish right at the roots, then work toward the ends.

Last edited:

Glib Gurl

A hairline tip which seems to work for alot of people (including me) is- after wash/cowash, apply your leaveins, smooth hair back with widetooth comb (I also use a toothbrush) and wrap a silk or satin scarf around your hairline/top of head. Keep the scarf on for about 30 minutes while you do other things.

I will try this! Thanks!

Ms. Plain Jane

Okay ladies. I need your best tips, hints, product suggestions, and tricks to help keep the new growth under control! If I'm gonna stretch, I'm gonna need help in keeping the hairline smooth!

Thank you!

(BTW, I am a 4a/b hairtype . . . .)

I am 4a/b, too.

When I am at 5 weeks post, I must pre-poo, lol. For me, that's the only way to get the ball rolling. I first saturate my hair with African Pride Hair, Scalp, and Skin Oil, then I slather on some Silicon Mix. I cover my head with a plastic cap and then one of those condition caps that uses your body heat to warm up. I either leave in in for 2-3 hours or over night.

Before applying shampoo, I rinse out the silicon mix and oil. My hair feels silky smooth after doing this. Then I poo with whatever I feel like using.

Depending on the week and I have been using, I'd DC with a protein conditioner or either use a protein treatment. I immediately follow with Elasta QP Intense and leave it in for 5-10 minutes. When I rinse it out, it's like being back at week 2 post, lol. This moisuturizing conditioner is really good! It moisturizes and detangles. It also smells great!

I just started using Star Bio Complex Placenta de Oveja (leave in). It's great for detangling and the comb glides right through my hair. This is definitely going to be in heavy rotation, especially come stretching time.

HTH!

Thann

I use carmel treatments myself. I've only tried it once, but I'm gonna be using it again soon.

gymfreak336

Wuz up Glib?

I keep my newgrowth under control by doing tighter rollersets. I drop down in rollersize so I can go a tighter curl and really pull the new growth. Afterwards I lightly comb the curls out and let them fall a bit before cross wrapping.

As far as products are concerned, I do pre-poo's with alma oil or vo5 strawberry conditioner. I also use porosity control before deep conditioning. I use sunsilk straighten up leave in cream (purple one) to rollerset. I also will flat iron my newgrowth lightly, especially along the edges and the crown. I use chi silk infusion or smooth and shine serum.

I just came of an 8 week stretch and had a lot of NG which made my hair puff and stick out all over my head. I had so much my hair shrunk at least 2-3 inches. If you didn't know my true length you would have thought I had hacked it off. I also in the last weeks of my stretch didn't put a comb anywhere near the NG. I would finger part and use Sunsilk 24/7 (pink)leave in and NTM then tie down with a scarf and in the morning my hair magically laid down even the edges. I would also use mango butter to moisturize. That sunsilk has a very water consistency so I think that really did it. It's super cheap and I wouldn't dare stretch without it. It's my new love!

ETA: I do this on airdried hair and I did this everyday for a week. I do not wash for 5-7 days before getting a relaxer so for a week I had to try to tame this bushy stuff and this got me through it.

Last edited: