keeping new growth under control for the stretch????

indarican

hey everyone,

I am very new to this and was wondering when you stretch relaxers, how do you keep the new growth under control? Do you flat iron alot? Should I leave in the conditioner? Is gel ok for the time in between relaxers?

Also can someone please tell me what co-wash stands for

Thanks a million!!!

Friggin' Licia

Well for me, after I wash and DC my hair I usually blot it 80% dry with a towel, put in NTM silk touch and put my hair in bantu knots with a scarf tied to keep my edges straight (this is usually 2-5 hours before bed. Then before bed I unravel my mostly dry hair and retie it and scarf twice so it doesnt come off in the night. (I know, alot of work) I'm currently 8 weeks post with about an inch of unstretched ng.

indarican

Well for me, after I wash and DC my hair I usually blot it 80% dry with a towel, put in NTM silk touch and put my hair in bantu knots with a scarf tied to keep my edges straight (this is usually 2-5 hours before bed. Then before bed I unravel my mostly dry hair and retie it and scarf twice so it doesnt come off in the night. (I know, alot of work) I'm currently 8 weeks post with about an inch of unstretched ng.
Is NTM an acronym or an actual brand? do you think that will work if i try to do the twist outs?

longhairlover

it's all about finding good detangling conditioners. for newgrowth silk elements moisture conditioner is great! mizani moisturfuse used with heat detangles well and softens the hair really well.

when I stretch I don't flat iron daily, I do the same thing I do with freshly relaxed hair which is wash once or 2x's a week rollerset (back in the days blowdry) and flat iron the hair stays straight for the week or until my next wash.

it's just about finding the right conditioners that will soften the hair and make it manageable to deal with. and yes use good leave ins too, i'm addicted to giovanni direct leave in, I try to switch my leave ins but the giovanni has been really good to my hair.

indarican

it's all about finding good detangling conditioners. for newgrowth silk elements moisture conditioner is great! mizani moisturfuse used with heat detangles well and softens the hair really well.

when I stretch I don't flat iron daily, I do the same thing I do with freshly relaxed hair which is wash once or 2x's a week rollerset (back in the days blowdry) and flat iron the hair stays straight for the week or until my next wash.

it's just about finding the right conditioners that will soften the hair and make it manageable to deal with. and yes use good leave ins too, i'm addicted to giovanni direct leave in, I try to switch my leave ins but the giovanni has been really good to my hair.
Silk elements is something that i have heard of before. i may give that a try.

sharifeh

Your progress is great. How often do you suggest that i co wash as apposed to washing with shampoo?

well you say your hair is dry, you should tell us specifically the type of shampoos you have...it could be the ingredients in those shampoos
you should wash with conditioner, deep condition, until you feel your hair is not dry and brittle anymore
if you get build up you may need to shampoo once in awhile
just try co-washing out, it doesn't work for everyone
You have to experiment and be patient until you find what methods work for you.

flowinlocks

Your progress is great. How often do you suggest that i co wash as apposed to washing with shampoo?

Depends on the cond. of your hair and how your hair responds to it. Cowashing is not for everyone so I would suggest starting out with once a week. Also be sure to maintain your protein moisture balance. If you feel like your hair is getting mushy from too much moisture try alternating with a protein cond. Some people feel like cowashing is too much manipulation during the detangling process. So once again I say start out slow.

indarican

Depends on the cond. of your hair and how your hair responds to it. Cowashing is not for everyone so I would suggest starting out with once a week. Also be sure to maintain your protein moisture balance. If you feel like your hair is getting mushy from too much moisture try alternating with a protein cond. Some people feel like cowashing is too much manipulation during the detangling process. So once again I say start out slow.

Well i would have to say that my hair condition is horrible, absoultly horrendous:nono:. I would definetly like to try cowashing since i have never ever did this in my life.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

For me it's all about the DCner you are using, I am about 3months post and DCed w/Alter Ego Garlic Treatment last night and as I rinsed out the conditioner it felt like my NG was melting away. I airdried my loose hair w/o product and my NG had more of a wave and coils in other places instead of like a beat down phone cord, LOL!

indarican

For me it's all about the DCner you are using, I am about 3months post and DCed w/Alter Ego Garlic Treatment last night and as I rinsed out the conditioner it felt like my NG was melting away. I airdried my loose hair w/o product and my NG had more of a wave and coils in other places instead of like a beat down phone cord, LOL!
do you use alter ego garlic treatment on every dc or is that just a one time thing?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I decided to use that yesterday to curve shedding and I knew it would give me great results. I always use something very moisturizing and that allows me to comb through my NG w/o a problem. My hair also loves Silicone Mix, Apretendora, Emergencia, and Praital Silk Worm Conditioner when 10wks post or more.
do you use alter ego garlic treatment on every dc or is that just a one time thing?

CaliDiamond

Baba de Caracol is really helping with my new growth. It is a Dominican conditioner that is very moisturizing. You can order it from roundbrushhair.com or sickbay.biz

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
To Keep My NG Under Control while stretching (currently 14 weeks post) I find that:yep::

Co-Washing
Incorporating a 'Light/Med Weekly Reconstructor' *8 weeks+
DC'ing Weekly with Heat
Jamaican Black Castor Oil

All Keeps NG Nice and in it's Place.:grin:

ms.aiken01

I'm currently 10 weeks post and I searched the board day and night trying to figure out what can I do to make it to 12 weeks because i was afraid to even put a comb near my head. So i went and purchased the Mizani thermasmooth system after reading all the reviews and i was in need of a new blow dryer, went to sallys and bought an Ion dryer. washed, deep conditioned, put my hair and sections and dried my hair with my dryer and roundbrush. when i was done, it honestly looked like i got a fresh relaxer, i dont know what did it but i'm simply amazed at how straight my hair is. i can go for another 10 weeks if i keep this up. u ladies are the business!

teacherjess

I don't stretch as long as some (the longest I've done is 15 weeks). What helped me was:

1. applying a high quality DC like relaxer to the new growth (I used KeraCare Humecto)
2. using S- Curl as a moisturizer on the new growth & ends
3. oiling scalp with JBCO at least once a week
4. careful, slow, and methodical detangling so as to not cause breakage