How do you determine the right temp for flat ironing/

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I would like to flat iron my hair for the first time since I bc a year ago and I would like to prevent heat damage. Along with deep conditioning and clarifying and using heat protectant...how do I determine the right temperature for my natural 4c fine hair?

Is there a chart or a link that someone can direct me to?

TIA

Last edited:

pookaloo83

I would liek to know as well. I played around and did a piece in the back. It never acted right since. I had the temp up too high.

Prudent1

@TopShelf & pookaloo83,
What I did/ do is choose the lowest temp on the flat iron and test a section of hair. I then gradually increase the temp until the hair is the desired level of straightness. Then with the new temp setting I move on to the next section of hair adjusting the temp if necessary. If I get the desired results I know that's the temp I need to use w/ that appliance. Just remember, it is always easy to gradually increase the temp but if you have the temp too high you cannot un-do the damage from tto much heat.

TopShelf

Prudent1 but how do you know if your hair will revert back to its natural state even if you get the hair straightened to your liking?

Prudent1

Hmm, TopShelf, I guess you don't:scratchch. For me reversion prevention = a good serum or finding the correct product combo(s) to apply either during the straightening process or immediately after:yep:. If there's no rain in the forecast, I use shea butter immediately after straightening and wrap my hair that night to allow penetration of the butter. I had to experiment to find the correct amount of shea to use. Too much = heavy oily hair. Not enough = reversion in certain places on my head (not a good look). Sometimes, I'll follow up with a very low temp the next day or two to 'seal the deal'. If there's high humidity/rain in the forecast, I use Aveda's Brilliant anti-humectant pomade+ a serum like Paul Mitchell's skinny serum as I am straightening. I have been in down pours w/ no umbrella and did not have reversion with this combo.
HTH

hothair

Trial and error. Start low and keep going till you find the perfect one for you. The most important thing is the DC do a good moisturising DC beforehand

GaiasDaughter24

I say trial and error as well. The first time I flatironed I did it at a pretty low temp but it wasn't as straight as I had liked. each time I did it I went up in temp. I just flatironed for the last time this summer/fall with coconut oil and it came out exactly as I had wanted it. It reverted completely on wash day. Now I know what to do next time. It really is trial and error and a little prayer.

A test section should do the trick as well. You can choose an area that is easily hidden (like the crown or back) and test it over the course of a few days/weeks (not the same piece, though). until it looks the way you want. Also, use a good heat protectant. I use IC fantasia and Chi silk infusion. I use IC for my blowdry and Chi for my flatiron. I use a lot of heat protectant lol I have fine hair as well.

prettybyrd

I'm hoping this will help you... I have medium thick hair (density) and my strands are medium (just a little smaller than a strand of thread), and if I go by the hair-typing system, my hair looks like it is probably 3c in the very front (bangs), the nape, and behind my left ear (weird right?), but the rest seems to look like it's 4a.

In June a stylist KILLED my curls in the front when she flat ironed my hair on 450 with two passes. My hair looked amazing after she straightened it, but now my hair does not curl at all in the front, the nape or behind my left ear.

On Sunday I decided to flat iron on my own to trim it, and I used the recommended heat setting on the box for medium textured hair, (250) and my hair looked great, and it curled back up immediately when I washed it out.

Since you have fine strands, perhaps trying 200 and moving up will be a good idea...I'm hoping your FI has temperature settings.

HTH! :)

beana

I am 4ab with medium/fine strands, I usually start with 340 with any flat iron and work my day from there. I only use 1 swipe and get my natural hair straight on 380 with my Sedu, chi and izunami irons.

Sent from my PC36100

TopShelf

I say trial and error as well. The first time I flatironed I did it at a pretty low temp but it wasn't as straight as I had liked. each time I did it I went up in temp. I just flatironed for the last time this summer/fall with coconut oil and it came out exactly as I had wanted it. It reverted completely on wash day. Now I know what to do next time. It really is trial and error and a little prayer.

A test section should do the trick as well. You can choose an area that is easily hidden (like the crown or back) and test it over the course of a few days/weeks (not the same piece, though). until it looks the way you want. Also, use a good heat protectant. I use IC fantasia and Chi silk infusion. I use IC for my blowdry and Chi for my flatiron. I use a lot of heat protectant lol I have fine hair as well.

GaiasDaughter24 do you mind giving your steps with the coconut oil? I thought that it was bad to flat iron with oils

BEAUTYU2U

I start low (to see if those temperatures will straighten the hair) and if they don't, I go up to a higher temp. It's a lot better than doing it in reverse :perplexed As a fine 4a/4b, I don't go over 300 F. Yes, our hair might be the kinkiest but it also has the finest strands so you probably won't need a high temp.

Last edited: