How do you add color from tea to your henna?

MissFallon

I want to add the red color from my fav tea to my henna mix. I currently just mix my henna with hot water, alma oil and conditioner. How would I incorporate the tea bags to get that red color? Any other suggestions on how to get a deeper red color out of henna?

you can try celestial seasonings red zinger tea or

ground cloves

LaNecia

For a deeper red I've used Hisbiscus tea, made a really strong brew and used it as the water base for my henna. I've also tried the Jamila which left a BEAUTIFUL color (speaking of which, today was payday...off to order some!) :lick:.

You can also boil elderberries for a similar effect.

There are other things you can use as well, those are just some I've tried.

HTH.

VWVixxen

MissFallon

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear on my question....Do I just make the tea like normal and then add that to my henna like I would plain hot water?

LaNecia

Yes!! That's what I was trying to say in the post above. :look: Only, instead of making it as I would drinking tea, I make it more concentrated (more tea bags/longer steeping time) and then use the 'tea' as the water base for the henna.

If you chose to use hisbiscus or some other herb, just boil them for 10 minute or so, strain off the herb(s) and use the 'tea' as part of your water base.

If it's not enough, then add water until you achieve the desired consistency.

LaNecia

hersheyskiss said:
bump

I tried henna with the red zinger and there was barely a hint of red. I'd like to know too

The teas and herbs are not true coloring agents so they're not going to truly "color" the hair. It would be similar in effect to using a cellophane (without the chemical) coating on the hair. You should get a highlight or 'hint' of color, not a deposit.

MissFallon

Thanks! I don't think I will be doing this though because this is complicated and I like to keep things with my hair as simple as possible.

AKA-Tude

Ya'll get outta my head!!

I was thinking about doing this, but wasn't sure how to go about it!

I think I want to try coffee in my next henna mix instead of acv.

I like the red, but want just a bit more brown in mine- hopefully making it a chestnut color.

Thanx ya'll!!!