How do u use a quarter amount of product? Do u always use this much? Does it work?

fluffylocks

Im trying to understand how you can use a quarter sized amount of moisturizer, conditoner, leavein and have your hair really be moisturized?
If you take that amount and rub it between your hands, your just going to get the surface, you cant really get the ends and the middle and under your hair can you? Are you really moisturizing/conditioning your hair this way

For the people who do this, is it only when your wearing your hair out and want it to be bouncy, but still give it alittle bit of something, and you use alot more when you wear an airdryed style ( because then i can undersrand and post is pointless), or do you do it always and never have a problem

If i tried to put a quarter sized amount of anything on my hair for airdrying or something, you wouldnt be able to notice anything, it would be dry as heck, a quarter sixed only works for mango butter on my edges:lachen:--So im just trying to understand how it works

Re: How do u use a quarter amount of product? Do u always use this much? Does it work

I think those instructions are written for straight hair types.

I'm like you. Ain't no way a quarter size doing me any good. :sad:

Re: How do u use a quarter amount of product? Do u always use this much? Does it work

For my leave-in on my wet hair, I have to use about a quarter sized amount 3 or 4 times to get everything - maybe 5 when I have lots of NG.

If I did not, my hair would be very dry, as well.

But, for daily moisturizing, when I have done the leave-in right, I don't even really need a quarter sized amount for my nicest thickest moisturizers - Just a little bit is good. I apply it all over until my hands are totally dry of the cream.

I may use a little bit more on my ends if needed.

after viewing macheriamor (sp) blog I thought WOW !! I'm heavy handed :lachen:. BUT I tried to use less product. What works for me is to hold my head upside down so I start with the ends and then work through the middle. If my palms are still 'greasy' then I know I still have product on my hands even if I can't see it.

I still use a TON of conditioner for DC. But I've tried to lighten up in the leave-ins especially since I apply them every night almost.

but I can relate big time! :yep:

I can use an entire 12-ounce bottle of conditioner on my hair when I deep condition. My hair would laugh at a quarter-sized amount of anything.

When my hair is completely healthy, I only need a little bit of product to moisturize my dry rollerset. However, prior to LHCF, I never understood why MY hair was so darn dry and crispy (I always assumed a relaxer would change that)... The real culprit, I wasn't DCing as often as my hair needed it (2x a week). Now that my hair is healthy, a little product goes a long way.

When I deep condition, I use a liberal amount of product...I will never skim here. :grin:

Last edited:

I can use an entire 12-ounce bottle of conditioner on my hair when I deep condition. My hair would laugh at a quarter-sized amount of anything.

Oh I CANNOT use a quarter-sized amount in conditioner. :nono:

I don't use an entire 12 oz bottle ( although I have almost done that with the cheapie suave ones) but I use a lot. I saturate my hair big time.

Last edited:

Oh I CANNOT use a quarter-sized amount in conditioner. :non:

I don't use an entire 12 oz bottle ( although I have almost done that with the cheapie suave ones) but I use a lot. I saturate my hair big time.

When I was relaxed I never used that much either. I think then I maybe used between 4 and 6 ounces, but that doesn't work on my natural hair.

For my leave-in on my wet hair, I have to use about a quarter sized amount 3 or 4 times to get everything - maybe 5 when I have lots of NG.

If I did not, my hair would be very dry, as well.

But, for daily moisturizing, when I have done the leave-in right, I don't even really need a quarter sized amount for my nicest thickest moisturizers - Just a little bit is good. I apply it all over until my hands are totally dry of the cream.

I may use a little bit more on my ends if needed.

Yeah, this is how I but my products on my hair. If I need less, someone would have to teach me how to do it.

When I was relaxed I never used that much either. I think then I maybe used between 4 and 6 ounces, but that doesn't work on my natural hair.

I can see how that is. When I have lots of NG, I need more conditioner, leave-in and moisturizer for some reason. Otherwise my roots don't quite get moisturized.

I'm usually heavy handed with products, but lately I've found that using less product really is best because it prevents product buildup.

I think I was actually scared to use a quarter size amount of moisturizer, thinking my hair would still be dry. Yet, I've found that my hair can be moisturized with less product, and I can enjoy bouncy, weightless hair in the process!

What I gathered from Macherie's blog, and others that use a small amount of product is that when you are applying the product, start out with small amounts and gradually add more as you need it. That way you are not globbing on handfuls of, for example, deep conditioner and your hair is only absorbing maybe 1/4 of what you put on. If you need to add more than a quarter size, then add more, but for MOST people out there, a whole bottle of conditioner at each wash is a little excessive, even if you are using a cheapie :ohwell:... Think of it like when you apply makeup (particularly blush!) you start small in your application, b/c if you just put streaks and layers, the subtle look you're going for would be lost...I section my hair and apply the small amounts of product, building up if I need to, so I'm using what I need, nothing more and nothing less.

JMO

Have you really looked at the size of a quarter? I don't think it is possible to adequately cover one's entire head with that. Maybe a quarter size for each quadrant.

It depends on what leave-in I'm using. If it's NTM then a quarter size will do, if it's Qhemet then I need more because it's harder to spread.

There is no way a natural or relaxed I can use a quarter size or less of product. Only the part that is immediately touched will get anything. My hat is off to those who can, but my hair soaks up product and if I don't use enough, I might as well not use any product. Especially if I have new growth. This is one reason why I have strayed from humecto. having to use 1/4 a bottle or more at a time is not cutting it. With Nacidit olive oil dc, I can use substantially less, though, I still work it through an individual section. It is funny, though at a salon, they can use product sparingly and I will have good results. Now, I can use moisturizers, like hydra tlc, etc. very sparingly with good results as long as my hair is in a good state.

Last edited:

I try to use a small amount but i put it in an dmy hair does this:look:. Especially with conditioner. But then again, maybe it depends on hair type and whether u are realxed or not. Relxed i used way less product than now.

I am using far less than I used to but if I used that little product, my poor hair would be dry as a bone. My curl pattern is DENSE and a quarter of product will do very little. But the surface of my hair will be KICKIN! :grin:

This weekend, I did the "less is more" bit totally and I have to say it was a good idea.

I still piled on the deep conditioner - I love that :grin: I also used a little more of my leave-in. But, for my shampoo, serum and moisturizers I only used a little bit and my hair is loving it!

It feels moisturized, but not weithed down or oily. :)

I never use more than a quarter size of moisturizer. Otherwise, I would get a lot of build up. I usually apply it by first parting my hair and then rubbing it in, and lastly wrapping it. For some reason the moisturizer always gets to most of my hair.

However, when washing my hair I always splurge on the conditioner until it's fully saturated. I think it depends on whether or not your hair is permed and the thickness of your hair.

I used to glop it on (especially conditioner:lol:). But after Macherieamour’s tutorials, I realized that I was overdoing it. And I have fine hair, but a lot of strands so It’s thick, but fine (if that makes sense). For me, a little dab will do ya, really works! I now use 3 conditioners on my hair and I use about a dime size of each! Then I put the plastic cap over, and trust me, the slip is great and I no longer have product buildup or as much breakage, b/c it rinses clean. I wish I knew to do this a while ago! I could have saved myself so much grief! Also, I only use a small amount (like 2 dime sizes) of moisturizer on my hair and it also makes a huge difference:).

I'm usually heavy handed with products, but lately I've found that using less product really is best because it prevents product buildup.

I think I was actually scared to use a quarter size amount of moisturizer, thinking my hair would still be dry. Yet, I've found that my hair can be moisturized with less product, and I can enjoy bouncy, weightless hair in the process!

Your hair is gorgeous!

I agree with this, especially the bolded part, with regards to leave-ins. Now when talking about DCing, I use a ton of conditioner.

Last edited:

For daily moisturizing yes just a small amount like a quater size and a dime size if that of Jojoba oil when needed.. but for everything else like pre-poos,conditioning I coat my hair

In Macherie's DC tutorial, she uses about a quarter sized amount of conditioner on each section, and sometimes a little more (if I remember correctly). In any case, it's just enough to coat all the hair and no more. As she says, the hair is porous like a sponge, and it's only going to absorb as much as it needs to fill those pores; any excess is just that...and all it will do is sit on top of the hair (and waste your products!).

Like many of you, I had to learn this lesson the hard way. But, nowadays I think that good, frequent deep conditioning treatments are good enough to keep the hair moisturized from within. So when I apply my daily moisturizers, I only have to use juuust a touch to replace whatever moisture I lost during the day :yep:

In Macherie's DC tutorial, she uses about a quarter sized amount of conditioner on each section, and sometimes a little more (if I remember correctly). In any case, it's just enough to coat all the hair and no more. As she says, the hair is porous like a sponge, and it's only going to absorb as much as it needs to fill those pores; any excess is just that...and all it will do is sit on top of the hair (and waste your products!).

Like many of you, I had to learn this lesson the hard way. But, nowadays I think that good, frequent deep conditioning treatments are good enough to keep the hair moisturized from within. So when I apply my daily moisturizers, I only have to use juuust a touch to replace whatever moisture I lost during the day :yep:

ITA with everything here!!

after viewing macheriamor (sp) blog I thought WOW !! I'm heavy handed :lachen:. BUT I tried to use less product. What works for me is to hold my head upside down so I start with the ends and then work through the middle. If my palms are still 'greasy' then I know I still have product on my hands even if I can't see it.

I still use a TON of conditioner for DC. But I've tried to lighten up in the leave-ins especially since I apply them every night almost.

but I can relate big time! :yep:

Oh my goodness! Thank you!

I tried this today. I usually use a whole pack of ORS conditoner and not feel like i covered my whole head, but this time i hund my head upside down and applied it, and i only used 1/2 the pack and all of my hair was covered. Im amazed at how much better that worked, im actually confused, but thaaaannnk you!
Now im gonna moisturize this way:grin:

Oh my goodness! Thank you!

I tried this today. I usually use a whole pack of ORS conditoner and not feel like i covered my whole head, but this time i hund my head upside down and applied it, and i only used 1/2 the pack and all of my hair was covered. Im amazed at how much better that worked, im actually confused, but thaaaannnk you!
Now im gonna moisturize this way:grin:

Glad it worked for you too. :grin:

I use about a 'quarter dollar' sized amount of product on my hair. I mainly apply it to the ends and if I have a lot of new growth. I just 'go under' my hair with my fingers and massage the product in with my finger tips. If I want to 'stretch' the amount of my conditioner I will just add jojoba, coconut oil, or avocado butter to it.
The amount works for me. I used to be extremely heavy handed and I now see that there is no need for that. A little does go a long way..especially when you are using good products.

If I work in sections and just dab my hands over my hair on the first pass, I get more coverage with a smaller amount. After I've "dabbed" my whole head, I go back and massage it through. I also tend to get a lot of it between my fingers, so I try not to waste that either.

I actually use less than a quarter (at least on non wash out items). For my prepoo I use about a quarter on each section...For DCing I definitely slather it on but for my leave in, I use about a dime sized amount (it's really fluffy so maybe a dime size is a quarter spread out). For my serum I use less than a dime sized amount. I've used more in the past because I thought it would be better, but my hair felt icky and weighed down. Oh I've also embraced Macherieamour's technique and only use about a finger dab of moisturizer nightly (sometimes two dabs when the length of my hair needs it), and a drop or two of oil for sealing the ends.

Back