Homemade Coconut Cream....Posssibly Maybe???

McQuay30

Hi,

I have a question or theory, I was on the search for coconut cream in my local area and I found some at a Mexican Grocery Store except it has sugar and alot of other ingredients that I do not want on my hair. I called the Health Food store and told him what I was looking for and he suggested the local ABC Liquor Store or purchase unrefined coconut flakes and mix with water in order to turn it into a paste since coconut cream is the meat of the coconut along with water. I think he may have a point in regards to the coconut flakes and water.

My question is have anyone tried making coconut cream this way and if so what types of results do you get in regards to it conditioning your hair. I was think of mixing flakes, distilled water, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and maybe a avocado with a touch of black castor oil??? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

*Muffin*

If you have a health food store near you (whole foods, fresh market, trader joes, etc...) or an ethnic foods market you can buy coconut milk (a popular brand being Thai Kitchen). The cream naturally settles at the top and the water to the bottom, so it's easily scooped out. I believe they even sell coconut milk at some local supermarkets.

P.S. IDK if the flakes would make a good substitute. I know my friend has coconut flour and she uses it for hair from time to time. The flakes probably contain similar benefits as the cream because it also comes from the coconut.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

Coconut cream that I know is very thick-from a fresh grated coconut boiled in water.

If you want a simple way, maybe try the unrefined flakes -w/o sugar or preservatives- don't know if that exists and boil in some water until it forms a thick paste. Let us know.