Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

curlycrocheter

I'm about 1 1/2 inches from WL. I told my SO that I'm giving myself until December of next year to reach HL. I'm more than confident that I can make it long before then. So my goal for the end of this challenge is to be HIT length (like WHIP length, only between hip & tailbone :D )

bebezazueta

I'm about 1 1/2 inches from WL. I told my SO that I'm giving myself until December of next year to reach HL. I'm more than confident that I can make it long before then. So my goal for the end of this challenge is to be HIT length (like WHIP length, only between hip & tailbone :D )

I love it! HIT length! Sounds like a great plan lady. Can't wait to see you get there.

Aireen

What happened? How did you damage it? I hope that area bounces back quick!
I don't really know actually. I remember noticing it after the last time I used Aphogee 2-Step. Maybe that small area is protein overloaded? I'm not sure, it feels over-processed so my guess is that the area has been damaged by relaxer.

I hope it recovers too. I'm going back to using my Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner to see if it'll help.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Aireen I'm not familiar with the Mill Creek DC. Is it a low, medium, or hard protein treatment? If it's med to hard please follow-up with a moisturizing DC, so that your hair is balanced. Do you self relax? If so, do you rotate what area of your hair you start applying relaxer to each time you apply it.

Aireen

MileHighDiva + ckisland, I do not self relax, my stylist does it and she always starts at the middle and does the edges last or almost last. I've never had problems with my middle but I've always with my edges. They've grown out because I make sure to apply tons of conditioner to that area. I don't know what happened to the very front pieces but they're VERY damaged. (Well... I remember I touched up my edges because keeping 2 textures allows for breakage and I used ApHogee 2-Step the same day and the area was damaged ever since then.) Maybe I'll take a pic on Friday and show you guys what I'm working with? I'm really trying to balance the protein/moisture/ceramides in my hair to help out the area and boost retention overall.

This is Mill Creek, I don't think of it as a strong protein even though keratin is the 2nd ingredient. I do make sure to use something moisturizing afterwards though.

Aireen

Might flat iron my hair tomorrow for a party. I did this week and liked the results but did not really show it off. I probably won't flat iron again after this... I feel like the plates are melting my cuticles, lol is it weird to be scared to flat-iron your hair?

Aireen

I keep hearing glowing reviews about biotin so I'm going to try it ONE MORE TIME. If this thing makes me break out to the extreme like it usually does, I'm leaving it alone forever.

bebezazueta

Might flat iron my hair tomorrow for a party. I did this week and liked the results but did not really show it off. I probably won't flat iron again after this... I feel like the plates are melting my cuticles, lol is it weird to be scared to flat-iron your hair?

Nope it's not weird at all. I haven't flat ironed in 2 years out of laziness. SMH! Hope you post pics.

ilong

God's Own
Aireen - Im sorry to hear about your hair - but I know you can nurse it back to health. ITA about flat ironing the hair - I'm afraid to do anything to my hair other than cleanse, condition, M&S and protect .
I saw your comment on Biotin - I think the press on it is unjustified (otherwise we would all be repunzels :yep:) Have you considered taking Bamboo Extract - it has 70% Silica compared to 7% in horsetail which is in biotin. With either one you should take B-complex for absorption.

ilong

God's Own
bebezazueta - I have always admired your signy pic. That top was made for your back hair line. Beautiful hair - beautiful top. But I have a question - your advatar is reflecting weight loss success? If so, congrats and GREAT job.

Aireen

Well after using a really good biotin conditioner on my hair yesterday, the damage in the front by my hairline isn't as obvious anymore. I'm going to keep using it and just be gentle with the area.

As for silica, I take Biosil drops. Do I still need a B-complex for it, ilong?

ManiiSweetheart

FINALLY put my hair in a protective style (Havana Twists) They came out really nice! but i do have to redo on in the back that i knew would be too larger of a piece

ckisland

ManiiSweetheart , WOW!!! I love 'em :grin:!!

Lawd! Lawd! Lawd! Why did I get cocky and think that my hair, that got wet in the rain, shrunk up, and had be slept on free and loose 2 nights (not including afternoon naps), could make it until wash day today :nono:? My gut told me to do it yesterday, but noooooo I had to be lazy :ohwell:. My hair was a matted mess when I went to bed last night. This morning, I got up early and drenched it in oil wrangled it into 4 braids and baggied before going back to sleep. When I finally got up, I undid each braid and slathered on a ton of Aussie Moist and now I'm letting it marinate.

Sigh. It's going to be one of those long, gentle finger detangling sessions, and I hope I don't lose too much hair :sad:.

melahnee

this is my current length. I've dusted/trimmed every month since like July. My ends are a lot thicker than they used to be, but I'm bad because I straightened my hair three times since april:nono:. I feel soo far from wl! no more flat ironing for me this year.

Last edited:

ckisland

Thanks!

Sending finger strength your way!

:lachen: Thank you!!!

I watched a movie to take my mind off of the process. Took about 40 mins, which isn't too bad. I'm not sure if I lost a little too much hair or a reasonable amount since I had 7 days of shed hair (and everything else) matted up in there. Now the 'do's greased up and clipped up in 2 braids.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Thanks!

Sending finger strength your way!

Too funny:lachen:!

Guys, I don't think I will remain in this challenge. I have accepted that my hair is already too much to handle at this length, so I am not focusing on length retention at this point. If it grows more, that is fine I will not actively cut it, buuuut I no longer think I have the patience for babying HL/TBL/CL hair. I will still stop in from time to time to cheer from the sidelines.

For those of you who want more thickness, careful what you wish for:look: :lachen:.

bebezazueta

bebezazueta - I have always admired your signy pic. That top was made for your back hair line. Beautiful hair - beautiful top. But I have a question - your advatar is reflecting weight loss success? If so, congrats and GREAT job.

Thanks sweetheart. That top is a dress & I haven't worn it in a while. Both my siggy & avatar pics are from last year. I lost 60 lbs last year and uhm I started a new job & stopped working out but I'm back and down 10 lbs.

I haven't worn my hair down in months. So next time I do, I'll have to update my siggy & make sure to wear that dress.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
After this cut Im going to need ALL of 2014 to get to HL. However, after this cut I guarantee I get to HL in a breeze. :)

Its nice when you know your hair in and out. *does the cabbage patch*

ckisland

After this cut Im going to need ALL of 2014 to get to HL. However, after this cut I guarantee I get to HL in a breeze. :)

Its nice when you know your hair in and out. *does the cabbage patch*

It would be nice to know your hair in and out. Everytime I think I know what to do, I realize that I really don't. I have a list of don'ts but I still don't completely know what to do :sad:. I'm tired of being in BSL-MBL land!

ckisland

I did it! I did it!! For the first time ever (as a natural) I was able to successfully straighten my hair and get it straight like it was from the salon :grin:. Though that was the first time I saw my hair actually straight as a natural.
Took me 3 hours and 20 mins because I didn't know what I was doing but I was willing to go slowly and get it right. I lost 2 hamsters worth of hair, and my ends were horrific :blush:. I had knots all up and down my strands and splits galore!! But after I blowdried my hair felt thicker than it has ever felt in my life. It was like I had someone else's hair in my brush and comb. But you know what? I absolutely love it. 3 hours, a trim, and an ungodly amount of hair loss later were all worth because I am so glad that I don't have to deal with my curls when I wake up in the morning :lachen:.

Now I'm a little past APL partially due to recent breakage and partially due to my trim tonight. It's okay though. I feel renewed in reaching my length goals, but I'm going to experiment with going at it from a new angle. So no HL for me unless I get some unicorn hair growth genes :lachen: (I kid. I kid). But I'm going to hang around because I love this thread so much :grin:

Attachments

• side straight 10.22.jpg
    side straight 10.22.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 82
  • front straight hair 10.22.jpg
    front straight hair 10.22.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited: